Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road Tax

Just found out my tax is due and went on dvla site to find out how much need to pay at the end of the month and guess what at the end of april for those of you got cars regestered after april 2001 you tax could increase up to £1000 depending on age and co2 .

I think this takes the **** now we paying for every one else with hair dryers to get in the way for free , where i live there is hills and my car no probs vs fiat 500 going flat out using lots of fuel ,cant see that out of the town these small cars are eco friendly i think scrap tax and add it to the fuel then the more you use then you would pay right amount , sorry to have a winge put it makes me mad.

Just found out my tax is due and went on dvla site to find out how much need to pay at the end of the month and guess what at the end of april for those of you got cars regestered after april 2001 you tax could increase up to £1000 depending on age and co2 .

I think this takes the **** now we paying for every one else with hair dryers to get in the way for free , where i live there is hills and my car no probs vs fiat 500 going flat out using lots of fuel ,cant see that out of the town these small cars are eco friendly i think scrap tax and add it to the fuel then the more you use then you would pay right amount , sorry to have a winge put it makes me mad.

the is200 will go up too £245.00 if registered after 2001!!!

well i have just bought one years road tax for £215 and if the road tax price is going up then i am going to get rid of my car by the summer and move onto my next car.

i think its ridiculous this whole tax thing! do the government want us all to drive a ford KA or something! soon as demand goes up for cars with low c02 emmisions then the government will put a tax on it!

car manufactures are going bust due to the credit crunch and with low sales rate! an now the government put the price up on tax! soon all major car companies will go bust due to the government an they'll regret it then!

sorry for this rant! i hate the word TAX so much latly!

i think the problem with this country is when the government introduces a tax or some law we brits just moan and dont do anything. We should do what the french do and show our displease with the government and riot :P

i had this conversation with a mate at work and we came up with the conclusion that all the people that are not paying there road tax is making it worse for those who do pay by law.

we worked out that if you scrap the road tax and put it on petrol. ok so petrol will go up however all those not paying tax will have to pay something therefor reducing other tax and the like on trying to find the people not paying.

The obvious fair system would be to scrap road tax and put the tax on petrol.

Ahah!..but government greed prevails here!

Lots of people with cars, don't do much mileage, I'm one of them, so they wouldn't get much

tax off me, or the others with Nissan micras and the like.

So the so called Road Tax, slyly changed to Car Tax, gives them maximum grab of your hard

earned money, giving them the best of both worlds.

The excuse now is so called global warming, as it's minus 10c here, with

the coldesr winter for 30 years plus I'm going to need a little bit more convincing.

Stop scaremongering. Your figures generally are way out. Cars registered before 23/03/2006 are subject to a maximum of £245 pa from April 2010.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...hicle/DG_172916

its all quite logical really

put a tax on cars making the higher polluting ones cost more to tax

therefore the car buyer thinks twice and actually looks at what pollution his/her car produces and makes the decision to get a lower polluting car

the result is less pollution

the manufacturers then notice that they have trouble selling high polluting cars, they then start producing lower polluting cars

(compare 2004 yaris to 2009 yaris to see this is working)

overall the effect is lower pollution levels, which can only be good

you only have to look at this thread and you will see the proof of it all working

"well i have just bought one years road tax for £215 and if the road tax price is going up then i am going to get rid of my car by the summer and move onto my next car"

I am pretty sure that the next car will be a lower tax band !

why raise tax ?

because it directly affects the drivers pocket, how else would they make the impact they require !

the more everyone moans, the more successful it makes the whole scheme

simple :D

we in sweden we pay very high taxes but we get all the good services... people still think it's going down hill because they have to wait 2 hours for a doctor when there in a&e...... oh if they only new how bad the uk is they would stop moaning... but i think all the tax here is worth it when you see your money at work....

Before we all rush out to save the planet by buying a lower polluting car,I want to know how

much pollution is created by making the new one, and scrapping the old one.

Another problem with exchanging a high polluter for a low polluter is that you get a bad price for the high polluter (assuming not covered by scrappage) and you will pay through the nose for the low polluter. Most people will never recover the exchange cost with lower fuel and road tax.

Before we all rush out to save the planet by buying a lower polluting car,I want to know how

much pollution is created by making the new one, and scrapping the old one.

The pollution created making a car plus the pollution caused when scrapping the old one would probably outweigh any savings in pollution whilst running the new car assuming a lifespan of 10 years at average mileage.

Iam sorry if i have scared people but for those people who were thinking about getting a newer or new car next year like the is 250 you could have a shock when going to tax it.

The point is though that the figures you quoted were way way way off the beam. As the government website figures state, Cars registered before 23/03/2006 will not be subject to the higher levels of taxation whereas you stated cars registered after April 2001 would be affected by these increases. The figures of almost £1000 are also only applicable to the 1st taxation on new cars and reduce thereafter.

What really pees me off is when I read articles in the paper like the one in the Mail last year pointing out that sixteen container ships burning raw crude as fuel produce as much pollution as all the cars in the world. If that's true then scrap a few and leave us car drivers alone.

i had this conversation with a mate at work and we came up with the conclusion that all the people that are not paying there road tax is making it worse for those who do pay by law.

we worked out that if you scrap the road tax and put it on petrol. ok so petrol will go up however all those not paying tax will have to pay something therefor reducing other tax and the like on trying to find the people not paying.

Not sure about the first point - I think you'll find only a tiny fraction of cars have no tax paid, as it's quite hard to avoid now. Besides which, the entire roads budget is paid for by only about 14% of the tax raised by the Road Fund Licence.

Putting it on fuel makes it all but impossible to avoid, links consumption to the tax paid, links taxation to actual use rather simply ownership of a vehicle, and would cost nothing to administer. Therefore it is extremely sensible, and will never happen because this is the govenment we're talking about. Getting rid of public sector jobs in the Labour heartlands of South Wales means it cannot possibly occur with the current government, and is extremely unlikely to occur with any other, either.

Besides which, the entire roads budget is paid for by only about 14% of the tax raised by the Road Fund Licence.

Putting it on fuel makes it all but impossible to avoid, links consumption to the tax paid, links taxation to actual use rather simply ownership of a vehicle, and would cost nothing to administer. Therefore it is extremely sesible, and will never happen because this is the govenment we're talking about. Getting rid of public sector jobs in the Labour heartlands of South Wales means it cannot possibly occur with the current government, and is extremely unlikely to occur with any other, either.

Totally agree. Used to be Road Fund Licence and if the charges had actually been used over the years for the improvement and maintenance of the road network we would all be so much better off and people might not be so "anti". Switching to a "pay as you use the roads " system by putting it on fuel would certainly make it fairer as the more fuel you use the more tax you pay.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links