Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I was looking on toyodiy.com and I saw that on my lexus 220D have 2 EGR ( I've attached the pic ) . Last time I've cleaned only EGR no 2 ( I don't know about EGR no 1) and now I have big fuel consumption ( 12.5 l/100km in town ) . Do I have to clean both EGR s ( no 1 and no 2) ?

Thanks,

Claudiu

I was looking at this thread as well because since importing my car from UK, I never had the egr valve cleaned. Can someone confirm that there are 2 valves that need cleaning??

Thanks.

Can someone confirm that there are 2 valves that need cleaning??

I have the 220d SE-L and have only the single valve.

As mentioned earlier, the pipe attached to the engine body feeding through to the EGR valve is a bit tricky to unscrew if you don't remove the Battery. Removing the Battery also helps reset the ECU, in the time it's taken you to clean the valve and pipe.

My MPG improved slightly by 5-6 mpg. The most noticeable different was the smoothness in pickup. Previously I got flat spots, specifically in 2nd gear and this no longer exists. I can't confirm the engine being any quieter, but smoothness was at it's best. Huge difference when you notice it.

I have cleaned the EGR valve, at the moment i do not feel any difference in power or consumption. the engine seems to be a bit quieter. after i have cleaned the valve the engine took a wile to start, maybe because of the dirt that went into the carburetor, but after i tried the second time it started fine. Also i have took the Battery off,so the computer should reset. I will update after a few days with the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed there seems to be 2 EGR valves. The first one is connected to an EGR Cooler and it is the second one which we all clean as it is easily accessible. I bet that EGR1 is clogged if EGR2 was! I haven't looked at the engine to see how this works, but they are presumably connected in series "through" the engine.

Hi,

I was looking on toyodiy.com and I saw that on my lexus 220D have 2 EGR ( I've attached the pic ) . Last time I've cleaned only EGR no 2 ( I don't know about EGR no 1) and now I have big fuel consumption ( 12.5 l/100km in town ) . Do I have to clean both EGR s ( no 1 and no 2) ?

Thanks,

Claudiu

• 5 months later...

My 220D started kicking out blue smoke last week. This morning I had the multiple warning lights and 'Check VSC'.

Lexus dealer has told me the EGR valve needs to be replaced @£564 !!

Not a happy bunny when I've only had the car 3 months and it's done less than 40K miles.

My 220D started kicking out blue smoke last week. This morning I had the multiple warning lights and 'Check VSC'.

Lexus dealer has told me the EGR valve needs to be replaced @£564 !!

Not a happy bunny when I've only had the car 3 months and it's done less than 40K miles.

Have a go at cleaning it first. See my thread "problems headed off at the pass" I did mine this week in the hope of avoiding the problem that you now have. Giving the EGR a clean has got to be worth a go I would have thought, might just save you a few bob!

I asked them to clean it out instead and they replied that the valve is completely shot??

sounded like someone couldn't be ar*ed. I wonder what response I'll get if I asked to see the failed valve assembly.

For £40 or so I'd contact Top Oils as shown in another post. The guy is relatively near you. Definitely worth trying and then continue using the fuel additive every 10,000 miles to keep everything clean.

Try here http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=76275

Thanks mate. I'll look into this once I get the car back.

The dealer wants to check oil consumption after 300 miles. I'm guessing he suspects worn piston rings or worse the head gasket....on a 40,000 mile car???

You do know of the head gasket issues, that have been quite well documented here, I presume?

If not, you need to explore the posts relating to Head Gasket.

You are perfectly entitled to ask to see the EGR yourself if they are removing it. I know someone who asked for pictures to inspect prior to replacement ...... suddenly not a problem that could be cleaned after all. Draw your own conclusions.

Update: The dealer wanted to have the car back after 500 miles to check oil consumption. I dropped the car round to them and they called me later to tell me that the car had indeed used far more oil than it should have done.

The solution is that Lexus are now paying for a new short block replacement :phone:

I just wonder if I should also claim back the cost of the EGR valve.

With the new short block everything should be rosy again. Best thing that ever happened to mine. Going superbly, and the mpg is great. Getting better too, since using the BG244 cleaner.

You could ask about the EGR but they may well come up with a fend off manoeuvre claing some other act of god or slight of hand trick.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links