Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Cruise Control Not Available?

Hi,

Cruising along at XXmph tonight in the rain on the motorway, cruise control and LKA engaged, when suddenly a warning triangle flashes up on the dash and the cruise sign flashes, too. Then the display says, "Cruise Control Unavailable". Very odd. So I reengaged it, carried on, and it happened again.

Any ideas why? Is this a fault or something to do with the spray and rain?

Also, the Lane Keep Assist refused to read the lane markings in the rain - same problem?

All help appreciated,

Adi

Hi,

Cruising along at XXmph tonight in the rain on the motorway, cruise control and LKA engaged, when suddenly a warning triangle flashes up on the dash and the cruise sign flashes, too. Then the display says, "Cruise Control Unavailable". Very odd. So I reengaged it, carried on, and it happened again.

Also, the Lane Keep Assist refused to read the lane markings in the rain - same problem?

All help appreciated,

Adi

All sorted: turns out the radar for the cruise control is behind the emblem on the front grille and can't work in snow or very heavy rain and spray. My car's not knackered after all!

Cheers,

Adi

Hi,

All help appreciated,

Adi

All sorted: turns out the radar for the cruise control is behind the emblem on the front grille and can't work in snow or very heavy rain and spray. My car's not knackered after all!

Cheers,

Adi

Blimey. Radar. And I thought there was a little man under the bonnet who pulled the cable to order. One lives and learns.

Mind, my baby is a tad older.

Dont suppose the new ones are all electronic, are they Mr Toyoda? Huh?

One of my earliest cars (wasnt the Model T) was an original mini. If it rained it stopped due to the distributor being immediately behind the grill. Fixed with an empty loaf bag and a rubber band! No danger. No lane probs and no recall. Sir Alec wasnt summoned before the House. Oh and that was the car that :tsktsk: Nuf said.

Hi,

All help appreciated,

Adi

Cheers,

Adi

Mine is a 1994 import and has a laser guided rocket launcher behind the front grill badge, the JDM models are way in advance! :whistling:

Seriously glad you "sorted" it I wouldn't imagine fixing a genuine fault on that system would be cheap and thanks for letting other members know the problem, I may be able to afford a 460 in 10 years time but now know the system won't work in heavy rain or snow.

The Cruise control is automatically deactivated with the warning message you described if you turn on the fog lights or if you set the windscreen wiper speed to maximum (or if the rain sensing auto mode switches them to maximum)

Hi,

All help appreciated,

Adi

I don't know if you are aware, but you shouldn't use cruise control when it's raining as it can cause serious safety problems.

When I was in America a few years ago a car whilst driving in the rain virtually somersaulted through the air and had a nasty accident-it was a big story on the news at the time and when they spoke to the traffic police it was because the cruise control was being used and it seems that everyone over there should know it is dangerous to use it in the rain!!

I'm not sure why it causes the problem,but ever since I have never used cruise control when it's wet.

Hi,

All help appreciated,

Adi

I don't know if you are aware, but you shouldn't use cruise control when it's raining as it can cause serious safety problems.

When I was in America a few years ago a car whilst driving in the rain virtually somersaulted through the air and had a nasty accident-it was a big story on the news at the time and when they spoke to the traffic police it was because the cruise control was being used and it seems that everyone over there should know it is dangerous to use it in the rain!!

I'm not sure why it causes the problem,but ever since I have never used cruise control when it's wet.

Now that's bizarre! Never heard that before, and it was certaily never an issue on my old Citroens (c4 or Xsara Picasso). Very odd. I'm wondering how the rain and the cruise control made a car somersault!?

Ref the wipers on high or fog lights, I'm also at a loss to how those would interfere, but the marvels of Lexus electronics are clearly beyond me!

You're a good lot, you know, even if you are all mad. Somersaults. Honestly.

no cruise in rain? why bother fittign ti to a BDM car :lol:

Interesting point this, with this adaptive cruise sysyem the car slows by lifting off and braking for you when it detects an obstacle within the pre selected range which can be further than you can see, especially in fog so how is this dangerous ? Keep those rear fogs off and switch the wiper control to slow and you are safer by using the cruise except in very heavy rain but every time in fog for me !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links