Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crash! Can't Get Key Out...

Yesterday, Dad managed to prang his Mk3 LS400 into the back of a beemer. It's made a bit of a mess, although the car still starts & drives (I am told), the problem is, it seems to have moved the gearbox - or, at least, the gearbox selector. Although the dash lights will indicate Park/Reverse/Neutral/Drive, the selector will only go as far as Reverse & won't latch into Park. As a result, I assume, it's proving impossible to switch the ignition completely off (they key won't turn past ACC), and therefore we can't remove the key. The doors won't stay locked (they immediately unlock if operated on the door switch, and the car just ignores the fob).

Does anyone have any idea how I can force the car to relinquish the key, to allow it to be locked?

Yesterday, Dad managed to prang his Mk3 LS400 into the back of a beemer. It's made a bit of a mess, although the car still starts & drives (I am told), the problem is, it seems to have moved the gearbox - or, at least, the gearbox selector. Although the dash lights will indicate Park/Reverse/Neutral/Drive, the selector will only go as far as Reverse & won't latch into Park. As a result, I assume, it's proving impossible to switch the ignition completely off (they key won't turn past ACC), and therefore we can't remove the key. The doors won't stay locked (they immediately unlock if operated on the door switch, and the car just ignores the fob).

Does anyone have any idea how I can force the car to relinquish the key, to allow it to be locked?

Hi

Sorry to hear about the trouble.

I can only suggest disconnecting the Battery, assuming you can open the bonnet.

I suppose you have tried the disengage button on the selector? that should allow the key to be turned off.

You must have done that! Sorry if it was too obvious.

I think I tried that (the Shift override button?)... anyway, I managed to manoeuvre it into giving the key up in the end anyway, which is nice... now we just need to get it fixed...

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, always appreciated :)

to be fair if it's that damaged buy a new one there not that expensive.

That's what I thought, but for insurance reasons (which I won't go into, your imagination may suffice), this one has to be repaired, at least to MoT'able standards...

That's what I thought, but for insurance reasons (which I won't go into, your imagination may suffice), this one has to be repaired, at least to MoT'able standards...

Hi. Would be interesting to see photos of the poorly car and the repair costs/process. If poss.

Have you tried putting it into neutral and turning it off?

Just a thought :)

might work, might not.

Yeah, we tried all that stuff. I speculated that the box or selector had moved, because the position of the lever did not correspond to the light on the dashboard. However, as above, whilst attempting to move the selector to a position which would allow me to start & move the car, I managed to get it to engage park & thus turn the ignition off & remove the key.

Steve - I will try to get some pics this weekend, it's a bit crazy 'round here at the moment what with one thing & another, so no promises... So far, the parts bill looks to be about £200, assuming it's all panels & lights. We have a portapower to straighten any substantial parts, hopefully, there's no suspension damage.

might work, might not.

Yeah, we tried all that stuff. I speculated that the box or selector had moved, because the position of the lever did not correspond to the light on the dashboard. However, as above, whilst attempting to move the selector to a position which would allow me to start & move the car, I managed to get it to engage park & thus turn the ignition off & remove the key.

Steve - I will try to get some pics this weekend, it's a bit crazy 'round here at the moment what with one thing & another, so no promises... So far, the parts bill looks to be about £200, assuming it's all panels & lights. We have a portapower to straighten any substantial parts, hopefully, there's no suspension damage.

No worries if you cant document the job. I thought it could be useful in the future for other similarly unfortunates. I wondered why the gearbox had appeared to move. If you can let us know then it will be a mega effort. Hope it goes well and the baby is back cruising soon.

might work, might not.

No worries if you cant document the job. I thought it could be useful in the future for other similarly unfortunates. I wondered why the gearbox had appeared to move. If you can let us know then it will be a mega effort. Hope it goes well and the baby is back cruising soon.

I'll do me best... unfortunately, it coincided with me having my office demolished & replaced with a portacabin, so currently the entire office is in the garage, blocking access to the ramps... a situation that's unlikely to change before the weekend... but once cleared, we'll be putting the car up on a ramp, so photos won't be a problem. The impact speed was less than 30mph, as the airbags didn't go off (which is slightly alarming in its own right)...

Q: Does the Mk3 have seatbelt pre-tensioners which would need replacing?

might work, might not.

I'll do me best... unfortunately, it coincided with me having my office demolished & replaced with a portacabin, so currently the entire office is in the garage, blocking access to the ramps... a situation that's unlikely to change before the weekend... but once cleared, we'll be putting the car up on a ramp, so photos won't be a problem. The impact speed was less than 30mph, as the airbags didn't go off (which is slightly alarming in its own right)...

Q: Does the Mk3 have seatbelt pre-tensioners which would need replacing?

Yes pre tensioners are fitted but with intact air bags I wouldn't have thought they have activated, to test them start the car with the seatbelt fitted across you as normal then pull it a little tighter,as you switch off the ignition you should feel the seatbelt tension alter slightly if it does the pre tensioner is OK.

Plus I would expect some dash warning if they were defective.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links