Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 Questions

5nowy

Hi each - new member and potential new Lexus owner - owners clubs always the right place to find out good information, so here we go.

I am in the market for a new car, and have been recommended the IS. From looking around, the IS200 seems a little gutless, and I would like to pick up something that packs a little more grunt, so am looking at the IS300. A couple of questions though, to make sure I am leaning the right way:

- What is the average fuel comsumption on the IS300, from those of you who own or have owned one? I have seen the official figures, but am more interested in real world numbers.

- What road tax bracket do they fall within? The internet (wonderful place for finding conflicting answers) tells me various numbers - £235-£435, anyone able to tell me categorically?

Also, any advice? Things to watch out for etc, any and all assistance gratefully received.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

Yes I get 25mpg on mixed motorway and ordinary, I have not noticed a difference since to my previous 200...mind you I enjoy the drive so much I don't care anyway! Other stuff... read as per 200, check the headlights are not wet inside...if you like your grunt smooth as cream then enjoy!

I've owned both and had the 300 for the last 5 years before changing to the RX. The fuel consumption for mixed driving was about 26 mpg. About 340 miles to a tankfull if there was a reasonable run thrown in. There was not much difference in the consumption between the two but the driving experience more than made up for any difference. The only problem that I had in the five years was the levelling system of the high density headlights which required a new sensor on the rear axle all done under warranty. Could be a bit heavy on tyres though.

until they crash them :(

But that's caused by the driver not a fault of the car.

If a driver presses in the Sport button and turns the traction control off then attempts to "boot it" into a sharp bend or roundabout or while performing any maneuver in the wet then some experience of skid pans might be worth investing in.

nah mine was a minor bump, and i'd be lyin if even with a dented bonnet, i said my car didn't make me smile every time i got in it, all those extras as standard, is there a car for the money that comes close?

IS300 definitely the better choice because it provides a better performance to cost ratio than the 200. Problems I can see are - finding the best tyres on that back end, especially if you not used to RWD and - finding a good one. A rare car and one that would be worth "investing" in in saner economic times.

IS300 definitely the better choice because it provides a better performance to cost ratio than the 200. Problems I can see are - finding the best tyres on that back end, especially if you not used to RWD and - finding a good one. A rare car and one that would be worth "investing" in in saner economic times.

So is finding a good example problematic? Looking on Auto Trader and the like, there are several low mileage examples that look fantastic VFM. Naturally I will check the service book stamps with the dealers concerned to verify the mileage, but I am guessing that, as with any car, provided it has been well maintained there should be no cause for concern?

Most cars look very cheap atm, especially highish road tax and fuel consumption models so make sure that it looks comparible, price wise, with similar types of car. The IS200/300 cars are every bit as good as a Beemer/Audi and probably more reliable. Strangely some have queried the build quality and reliability of the IS250/220D models.

you can also look for a very nice rs200. this is the jap sec lexus (altezza) and is a very good car with the tuned engine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Altezza-RS200-/310232715185?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item483b4f8fb1

but you might like to look at importing one for your self. very nice and not to many about

5nowy is300s arent that rare its just most people assume theyre 200s when you see em about as bodystyling is near identical apart from badging and extras - only thing to look for in an ideal world is satnav and a factory fitted bodykit like whiteys one - apart from that its just a case of choose your colour as the 300 does come with just about everything

Well thanks for all the advice, signed on the line for one yesterday :)

Deep metallic green, 58k miles, FLSH, has been a little poorly driven and has a couple of superficial parking scuffs on the rear bumper, but the rest of the car is immaculate.

Pick it up next week, and can't wait. Man what a fantastic car :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links