Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Brake Disc Question

gazza0210

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question. Im getting a knocking noise from the front when the car stops or when I change from drive to reverse. I know its something to do with the front brakes cos I got someone else to drive it and could hear it from that area. Ive changed the droplinks and fitted new pads and discs about 6months ago but it sounds like the pads are moving around in the calipers.

Ive taken the wheel off and notice the caliper has the slightest bit of wobble on the slide pins. also the front discs seem to be able to rattle on the studs. Theres like a 1/16th of movement around the stud and when you grab the disc and give it a bit of side to side action it makes a very similar noise to the knocking im hearing. The discs were an eBay special with mintex pads (discs arnt mintex) and am just wondering whether this is normal before I go and get a mortgage to buy some original lexus ones.

Just a quick note, the car passed its mot about two weeks ago so I dont think it can be the ball joints as the mot test centre is as strick as they come.

Any help appreciated.

Ive taken the wheel off and notice the caliper has the slightest bit of wobble on the slide pins. also the front discs seem to be able to rattle on the studs. Theres like a 1/16th of movement around the stud and when you grab the disc and give it a bit of side to side action it makes a very similar noise to the knocking im hearing.

Hi the discs will move with the wheel off ; when the wheel nuts are tightened all will be secure. The noise you have is either a seized or sticking caliper piston or most probably a shim problem ; strip down the pads again and make sure all pistons move freely and all the shims and anti rattle springs on the pads are firmly in place,if in doubt fit a new shim kit,also put copper anti seize grease on the REAR of the pads which will help

Dave

Thanks for the reply mate,

I will have a look at the brakes this weekend and check that the pistons on both calipers are working evenly.

I know that the pads only have one shim on each pad and understand that there should be two per pad. I have the missing ones on order.

Will let you know after the weekend.

I'd still say there's a good chance the lower ball joints are gone. MOT guys miss them all the time. They're pretty hard to diagnose in place.

Also have a look at castor arms. You can pick new bushes from eBay. They only sell complete arms genuine. Have a read of this thread http://www.clublexus...-or-daizen.html (same set up as IS)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links