Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Led Bulbs

BillNick

Hi all,

Looking or wanting to if I can replace some of my operational bulbs with LEDs to give my car a slightly newer look.

I want to put standard fit LED amber 501s into my side repeaters...

I want to put standard fit LED ambers into my other indicators...

Possibly replace the brake lights with LED bulbs also...

Can anyone tell me with the bulbs for sale on eBay, will I experience any issues or are they a straight swap?

Kind Regards

Bill

you will need to fit load resistors to the bulbs you fit leds on..ie

brake lights/tail lights need load resistors Fault light comes on

main indicators need load resistors Fault will flash fast as the car thinks a bulbs in op

side lights ok

side repeaters ok

no plate bulbs ok

Found these the other day while looking at LEDs, replacement flasher unit for the indicators. So you don't need resistors and its means no chopping up wires, just take out the old one, and put this one in. :)

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/LED-Flasher-Unit-2-3-and-4-Pin.html

Thanks Ormi, nice reply thank you.

And sprinter this flasher units are a great find nice one!!

Think for now I shall stick to the side repeaters as I have crystal repeaters waiting to go on.

If I decide to de-tango the headlights, Ill def get the blubs and flasher units.

Dont think ill bother with the brake lights if it means chopping wires? How hard is it to re-wire the clusters to take LED brake lights?

Not hard at all you crimp the load resistor on to the live wire and the other end on to the earth wire job done.simples

Wouldn't bother with those relays load resistors are cheaper!!and some of the bulbs you buy come with them.

• 3 months later...

Not hard at all you crimp the load resistor on to the live wire and the other end on to the earth wire job done.simples

Wouldn't bother with those relays load resistors are cheaper!!and some of the bulbs you buy come with them.

I changed all my indicators to LED.

Defo recommend load resistors.

The relay option is a pain as you have to disconnect all the leads in the fuse box on the drivers side. Then unscrew the fuse box to get into where the relay sits. I just used scotch locks and load resistors. much quicker and easier. Managed to get my rear LED bulbs (Offset pins) and load resistors from Halfords. Said £19.99 on shelf and when it was put through the till it came up as £3.

Absolute Bargain!!!:)

You should fit Load resistors for any bulb changed to LED. with rear lights etc there is a warning light that comes on thinking the bulb is out cause it drawws low current.

you can cut the wire to the sensor unit in the boot instead though

You should fit Load resistors for any bulb changed to LED. with rear lights etc there is a warning light that comes on thinking the bulb is out cause it drawws low current.

you can cut the wire to the sensor unit in the boot instead though

Really?? i changed the reverse and interior dome lights to LED ones last december, not had problems + i asked before i bought them if i needed them, answer was no !

Interior ones are ok, but remember a fault in them wont prob blow the fuse.

exterior ones should have a load resistor though

Note: LED lights draw less current for the same brightness and may need load resistors to artificially increase the current drawn to a similar level as the filament bulbs to stop the car's bulb-fail circuits permanently indicating "blown bulb". This load ressitor often draws more current than the LED.

When you fit LEDs, there are three things to bear in mind.

(1) The load resistor can get too hot to touch particularly when associated with lamps that are ON for long periods like sidelamps - they need to be mounted where they won't damage (melt/burn) anything.

(2) If LEDs fail (and they do); the lamp-fail circuits will no longer work.

(3) There may be theoretical type-approval issues making their use illegal except in vehicles for which they have been approved.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links