Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My front and rear brake pads are on their limit and I want to replace them with some aftermarket ones.

The options I have are the following:

brembo pads front £64.09 and rear £27.48. No pad model description.

EBC pads front £35.99 and rear £33.99. Model "Ultimax".

Ferodo pads front £34.99 and rear 29.99. Model "Premier".

Mintex Pads front and rear 69.99. No model description.

On my other car I have the EBC Green stuff pads but the bedd in mileage was too high, it took me almost 1500 miles and the squeaking was extermely loud when stopping at traffic lights etc. so I don't think I will go again for them.

Any experiences or advantages and disadvantages with the brands previously mentioned or maybe any other pads I should consider, will help me decide.

Cheers

G.T.

There is a special section for this question and that's been discussed already.

Hello Denis,

I had a good look over at the Brakes section but I can't make up my mind.

What pads do you have on yours?

Are the Ferodo premier pads ceramic or semi-metalic?

Rgds

GT

I have the OEM pads and disks. If I don't find a good deal for IS350 calipers until the summer I will go with the Mintex disks and pads as I've heard only good things about them.

You would need to change the discs also if you fit the 350 calipers, yes?

Are the rear calipers of the 350 any better than the 220d?

Yes, the IS350 disks are bigger than the IS220d/IS250 thats why I want to go with that upgrade.

That would be a good set up plus the calipers have 4 pots.

On a thread at the Braking section there is a guy that changed the standard discs and calipers with the ones from the is350 and he is also mentioning that the same calipers are also in the GS300.

Do you know what year have to be the GS300 calipers so that they fit directly on the 220d without the need of custom brackets?

The reason I'm asking is because I have found some remanufactured GS300 calipers for 82 USD.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N=1656+10981+4294962487+9178

The IS350 calipers and disks are on my old 250 SE-l and they are the same disks as the GS300 Mark 3. I assume the calipers are also the same but you need to check the part numbers to make sure as I bought mine in the USA as IS350 calipers.

The 17" rims will not fit over the Is350 calipers. I'm not sure on the OEM 18". I had 19" On mine.

:crybaby:

The OEM 18" rims do fit, as a friend in Hong Kong did the same mod and he has the optional 18" rims. In case anyone has missed the postings, Lexus supply ceramic based pads for the IS350 and the IS250 in response to the complaints of too much dust being generated by the originals pads. Unfortunately these are only available in the USA. However, Hawk in the US manufacture similar pads and there are several suppliers who will export (I have a set on the brembo calipers on my IS-F).

I had a spare set of the OEM ceramic based pads for the IS350 and the IS250, the ones for the IS350 calipers I gave the new owner of my IS250, but I still have a brand new boxed set for the 220/250. I am open to selling them but buyer would need to collect, either at Japfest at Castle Coombe or with suitable notice, from WIM in Chesham.

The 17" rims will not fit over the Is350 calipers.

Are you sure about that?

http://us.lexusowner...showtopic=60695

Absolutely sure of it as I wanted to use my OEM 17" rims with winter tyres, but they DO NOT fit over IS350 calipers mounted on IS250 hubs.. The 17" OEM's fit the IS350 because the IS350 has different hubs. The IS350 calipers fit the IS250 hub plate but they are slightly repositioned so the 17" rims will no longer fit.

Then a spacer will do the work. No need to pay extra $2000 for a new set of rims :)

My 19" Rays Volks Rims were nearer $3500.00 but thats not the point as I put the rims on the car before the caliper upgrade. I merely wanted to point out that the 17" OEM's do not fit over IS350 calipers on an IS250. I cannot remember if the problem with the fit was a lack of clearance due to the width or the diameter. If it is the width then 10mm spacers are an option.

The 17" rims will not fit over the Is350 calipers. I'm not sure on the OEM 18". I had 19" On mine.

The OEM 18" rims do fit, as a friend in Hong Kong did the same mod and he has the optional 18" rims. In case anyone has missed the postings, Lexus supply ceramic based pads for the IS350 and the IS250 in response to the complaints of too much dust being generated by the originals pads. Unfortunately these are only available in the USA. However, Hawk in the US manufacture similar pads and there are several suppliers who will export (I have a set on the brembo calipers on my IS-F).

I had a spare set of the OEM ceramic based pads for the IS350 and the IS250, the ones for the IS350 calipers I gave the new owner of my IS250, but I still have a brand new boxed set for the 220/250. I am open to selling them but buyer would need to collect, either at Japfest at Castle Coombe or with suitable notice, from WIM in Chesham.

Hi, Tango. how much are you looking for the set of pads [is that front & back or just fronts] also how do you find them performance wise to oem , regards glenn

Hi, Tango. how much are you looking for the set of pads [is that front & back or just fronts] also how do you find them performance wise to oem , regards glenn

I'll dig out the receipt from where I bought them from (Lexus, Houston) and I'll sell for the price I paid at current $ exchange rate. They are for the front only, and don't know if there's any difference in performance when swopping the low dust IS250 pads for the original high dust ones. People in the States have said it's not noticable. My swop also involved the IS350 calipers and disks with the low dust IS350 pads and the difference was very noticable, with more progressive braking (got rid of the 'snatch' I had with the original set-up). They certainly produce less brake dust as after changing I had slightly more dust being generated by the rear pads than the front.

I can say with absolute certainty that if you fit IS350 calipers on IS250 hubs, then the OEM 17" rims will not fit without some sort of modification e.g. thin spacers.

I cannot explain it simpler than that, but if you choose to disbelieve that statement of fact then try it yourself, as I did.

The standard OEM GS 300 front wheels are 17x7,7.

What is the width of the 220d front wheels? Are they 7 or 7,5 inches?

Cheers

G.T.

They should be 17"x 8". The offset is +45mm.

I'll dig out the receipt from where I bought them from (Lexus, Houston) and I'll sell for the price I paid at current $ exchange rate. They are for the front only, and don't know if there's any difference in performance when swopping the low dust IS250 pads for the original high dust ones. People in the States have said it's not noticable. My swop also involved the IS350 calipers and disks with the low dust IS350 pads and the difference was very noticable, with more progressive braking (got rid of the 'snatch' I had with the original set-up). They certainly produce less brake dust as after changing I had slightly more dust being generated by the rear pads than the front.

YOU HAVE P.M

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links