Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slugish

imi

Gord...you mentioned...."If you do it this way"....does that mean there is another perhaps easier way of doing it??

Also when you talk about the ground wire..... :withstupid: Where is it?

Ta - Neil

Fever Posted on Jun 27 2003, 08:50 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gord...you mentioned...."If you do it this way"....does that mean there is another perhaps easier way of doing it??

Also when you talk about the ground wire.....  Where is it?

Neil, the ground wire is the black wire (the right handside) on the Battery.. the terminal that's marked with a - sign...

You can remove the ECU fuse, but doing this didn't clear mine.

I do however, also have a piggy-back ECU fitted.

The fastest way is to remove the Battery terminal, and press the brake light.

Tools required

1 x 10mm Spanner

1 x right foot.

N.B. DO NOT LET THE SPANNER TOUCH ANY METALWORK, WHILE LOOSENING THE TERMINAL.

Also as a precaution, make sure ALL lights, radio and doors are either closed, or swithced off.

The fastest way is to remove the battery terminal, and press the brake light.

I filled my car to the brim with Shell Optimax last night (£47 @ 78.9p!!!). I'll be doing the "ECU Reset" myself tonight.

Obviously my opinion on performance will be negligible since I have no previous usage to compare against. As long as I am happy with the performance that's all that matters to me..!

Interesting discussion though. Any what does a "piggy-back ECU" do for you GRiM..? :duh:

....  Anyway what does a "piggy-back ECU" do for you GRiM..? :duh:

The same as it would do for everybody else...

:lol:

Unfortunately there is no magic "plug in a go fast" chip solution for the IS200, that will give it a much needed extra performance boost.

There is one from an Australian company, which claims to get more out of the standard car.

But no-one on LOC has used it. (It's far too expensive for the net gain.)

Unfortunately, given the amount of modifications on my car, the standard LEXUS ECU does not take any of these into account.

Therefore a "piggy back" chip is used to gain extra power by allowing the fuel, air and ignition settings to be reprogrammed. Piggyback because I still need the standard ECU to look after other electrical functions on the car.

This piggyback ECU provides not only more power, but better fuel consumption too, as the chip is matched to the provide just enough fuel/air/ignition timings while providing maximum power, without loss.

There are a number of piggyback chip manufacturers available. e.g. GReddy HKS F-CON Motec.

My car uses the Unichip, (see my sig for a link to their website).

Although it is possible to put one of these ECU piggyback chips on the standard car and get some improvements, You will need to pay for the time on a rolling road to programme the chip to your car's individual requirements. And that's a rather expensive way for the net gain.

It does however make since when your car is modified, as there's more to get power from.

PHickman : any news with your test then????

"I filled my car to the brim with Shell Optimax last night (£47 @ 78.9p!!!). I'll be doing the "ECU Reset" myself tonight."

I noticed very little performance increase, although since I only picked up the car on Thursday and filled it on Thursday evening (£47!!) I have no real basis for comparison.

Also, I forgot to keep a note of the current mileage and since I reset the ECU I now don't know how many miles I've done on a full tank of petrol. I'll now have to dry the tank, then fill up again, then reset odometer to zero, then dry the tank, just to see what my MPG / fuel efficiency is. Jees... the things you do.

In my old (1999) Ford Focus 1.8 I was filling up (£37) and getting about 410 miles to a tank.... works out @ ~11 miles per quid. As long as I get the same sort of returns from the Lexus I'll be happy.

Did you boys point out that the radio code is required if you disconect the Battery. this can only be done by dealer (yeah right) and the cost is about £40 and only when the "trouble shooter" is there...

That was how I met my last girl friend,c ome to think of it...

Loz :zee:

Did you boys point out that the radio code is required if you disconect the battery. this can only be done by dealer (yeah right) and the cost is about £40 and only when the "trouble shooter" is there...

That was how I met my last girl friend,c ome to think of it...

Loz :zee:

remove the ECU and Trac fuse

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links