Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aftermarket Hid Kits

BigRichi

Hi folks,

I've never fitted one of these aftermarket kits before and have a couple of newbie questions which I hope some of the more experienced folk could answer.

I already have 2 35W ballasts and I am looking at just buying new bulbs to use but I've seen 35W ones and 55W ones.

Would there be any benefit running the 55W bulbs?? ie brighter??

Would there be any dangers running the 55W bulbs?? ie the car bursting into flames?? lol

Thanks

in hid systems, ballast is the one that matters is it 35 or 55w. bulbs are mostlty the same.

If you have 55w ballasts DONT run them with cheap chineese bulbs, because they run with super high temperature and UV radiation and they will mess up your reflector (like mine did)

55w is ok to use only with oem bulbs (osram, philips...) they can hold the power.

go for 35w

even better - do a retrofit ;)

cheers motty,

did people flash with 35w hids you had? my previous hids were fantastic on my *cough* mondeo but caused people to flash and i cant be bothered with that again.

I've got 50W HIDs on mine and haven't had a problem.

i bottled it and ordered 35w hid's will fire them in at weekend.

is it a headlight out job?

got them for £47.99 delivered from hids direct found them good to deal with in the past.

thanks for your input guys

Nope, no need to remove the headlight, tis very tight on the passenger side, but can be done!

Dont quote me on this, but i was reading rumours from other and various forums. The rumours being that from dec 2011 MOT check list will be updated so all cars which have HIDs fitted will need either self-leveling headlights and / headlamp washers. If they have neither, it will fail.

So make sure you put your standard bulbs back in before your mot.

I heard the same,my MOT is due Sept 2011 so I will get another year before I have to p about swapping them over for a day,next step will be to make them illegal if not a factory fit.

Remember in the 70s when we all had rear fog lights connected to the brake lights?

i have read that somewhere aswell.

being a tester myself for 6 years i can say that vosa are always updating the checklist.

its getting tougher lads.

im sure ormi can shed some light on this for you guys -

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links