Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well done abs 66 ...... go look at the thread I put into the Suspension Section by mistake recently on the LS400 Radio BackLights not working !

Malc

Devon, nice and everyone else, thanks so much for all your help over the last week or so.

The search is over :)

I picked up my P Reg LS today and had a lovely long drive home. Wow what a mile muncher! Effortless and calm and damn fast when required (one very embarrassed chav left in my wake lol. Well he started it!)

Apart from that, it really does like you all say have a very calming effect, so much so I sailed past my junction and then next almost at Wigan before I doubled back. Go on ask me if i cared ....I cared not a jot :)

Got home and she who must be obeyed wanted a drive out, oh go on then if I must ;) She loved it....result.

The LS needs a little TLC but not as much as I feared and I can't wait for day light to crack on with it :)

Again thanks for everyone's help now where is that search button, first stop fix the radios lack of light and incomplete display characters.

How about a few pics of the new purchase?

Phil

Congratulations, the smoothness and elegance of this car is very much understated. I believe most people on the road look at them and think "cheap old Datsun", well let's just keep it that way, let it be our little secret :) They can sit in their £14,000 Focus, I'll have my £2,000 Lexus, a much better car in nearly every respect!

Thanks. The mrs thinks I'm being very helpful at the moment popping to the shops every hour or so! Any excuse for a drive :)

I will sort some pics out when I get a chance and post them up here. I know there are some things to sort out but I'm pretty chuffed all round. The alloys can be refurbed, the bad area on the bonnet can be fixed or bonnet replaced so just a matter of time and cash.

One thing I've not come across yet on the forum is anyone having a problem with the headlining round the sunroof. Mine seems to be unnatached around the sides and back of sunroof. I can see where I think it should go back but without seeing another sunroof to reference I'm not convinced I'm right. I will search the forum again and see what I can find.

Right, what do we need from the shops! ;)

If you are paying more than £1000 for a Mk1/Mk2 then you are paying too much.

A decent Mk3 can be had for between £800 and £1300, and decent Mk4s start around £1800.

Your £500 will buy a Mk1/2, but because of the age they will be tired and almost certainly in impending requirement for a cambelt change.

Add another couple of hundred pounds to get a decent Mk2, or a couple more for a decent Mk3.

Hi Lowrider, thanks for the advice much appreciated.

I have however been lucky enough to buy a p reg 96 within my budget so I'm busy road testing her, at least that's what I'm using as an excuse right now :whistling:

I knew that at my price bracket I was going to inherit age, wear related issues to fix and was happy to accept these.

I have found a few things that need doing so I'm going to work through them one by one and then I will have a keeper.

The air-con is not cold and I have a suspicion there is more to it than just re gassing as I always thought the revs would change when ac button pressed, but they dont.

Front ciggy lighter doesn't work, not tested the rears yet, planned for tomorrow.

Headlining round the sunroof needs sorting but it looks like its just come loose, not sagging like other cars.

Located one fuse box under bonnet, but not located the second one in the cabin yet, will consult the workshop cd i bought on eBay and see if its any use.

I plan to change the oil and filters plus transmission oil as soon as poss so will be searching for any idiot guides on the forum to help me do that as its going on a long run to cornwall in a couple of weeks so will feel happier knowing thats done. Mind you it wafted back from bristol the other day with no probs, smooth as silk sooooo nice and calm :)

The last owner had the cambelt kit done at 141k its done 159k now plus it has Lexus history to 131k at the same dealer. The last owner only did about 250 miles since last MOT hence selling as he no longer needed the second car but as it hadnt been used much he took the Battery off to charge before selling and i'm wondering if a couple of fuse may have blown as I've heard other owners saying they have had that happen. Fingers crossed thats the issue with the ciggy lighter and maybe the ac too.

Thanks for all the advice and help guys, its been very helpful and reassuring that I was making the right decision, I know my daughter loves it as she drops straight off to sleep as soon as we get going :)

Pete,

If the aircon has no gas in it, the revs won't change as there is a pressure sensor inline. If there is not enough pressure, the compressor won't kick in and as a result, the revs won't change.

Get a mobile AC service guy to have a look. They should do a pressure test before refilling.

Looking at the forecast, you're going to need the AC :)

Thanks

Mike

The cig lighter is probably the same problem as mine, there is a small fuse wire at the back of the socket, it bridges an insulating felt washer. If too much current is drawn through the socket the fuse pops. Lots of people just remove the felt washer to re-establish an electrical circuit, but I'm currently trying to see if I can replace the fuse wire.

Thanks Parrot, yet another useful tip, I'm looking forward to making the most of the good weather to get stuff done.

The workshop manual cd I have bought seems to be USA/Canada version and I'm not sure the fuse box is in the same place ( yes I know its lhd in the manual lol ) I'm sure alot of the rest of the manual will be fine. I bet it's right in front of me probably well hidden judging by the quality of the build. I love this car :)

Hi Lowrider, thanks for the advice much appreciated.

I have however been lucky enough to buy a p reg 96 within my budget so I'm busy road testing her, at least that's what I'm using as an excuse right now :whistling:

I knew that at my price bracket I was going to inherit age, wear related issues to fix and was happy to accept these.

I have found a few things that need doing so I'm going to work through them one by one and then I will have a keeper.

The air-con is not cold and I have a suspicion there is more to it than just re gassing as I always thought the revs would change when ac button pressed, but they dont.

Front ciggy lighter doesn't work, not tested the rears yet, planned for tomorrow.

Headlining round the sunroof needs sorting but it looks like its just come loose, not sagging like other cars.

Located one fuse box under bonnet, but not located the second one in the cabin yet, will consult the workshop cd i bought on ebay and see if its any use.

I plan to change the oil and filters plus transmission oil as soon as poss so will be searching for any idiot guides on the forum to help me do that as its going on a long run to cornwall in a couple of weeks so will feel happier knowing thats done. Mind you it wafted back from bristol the other day with no probs, smooth as silk sooooo nice and calm :)

The last owner had the cambelt kit done at 141k its done 159k now plus it has Lexus history to 131k at the same dealer. The last owner only did about 250 miles since last MOT hence selling as he no longer needed the second car but as it hadnt been used much he took the battery off to charge before selling and i'm wondering if a couple of fuse may have blown as I've heard other owners saying they have had that happen. Fingers crossed thats the issue with the ciggy lighter and maybe the ac too.

Thanks for all the advice and help guys, its been very helpful and reassuring that I was making the right decision, I know my daughter loves it as she drops straight off to sleep as soon as we get going :)

If the headlining around the sun roof isn't right it could be because it's been leaking and the last owner has been pulling it down. A common fault as the drainage holes at the front and rear get blocked. Worth checking but you need to do it carefully to prevent damage.

Phil

Thanks Phil, front and rear of sunroof I take it?

I will add that to my list. Strimmer wire any good for this job?

There are four holes, two at each end, the front ones are easy to get to but the rear are a little less visible. I used the plastic line that electricians use but I'm sure a thick strimmer line would work. Just be gentle as I seem to remember that they eventually connect to a rubber pipe that can be disconected if you poke too hard. When I did mine I opened the sunroof and poured water along the side and watched for it draining out at both ends. Prior to that the car was flooded!

Hi, just out of interest, did you manage to look at the DVLA old MOT Advisories and Fail sheets ?

Malc

Had a look at the DVLA mot site thingy, it seems that a lot of the potentially expensive work has been done for me already so should be ok for a year or two.

I will however getting my friendly mechanic to give her the once over with regards to all mechanicals when its up on a ramp, I just like to be thorough.

Cheers for the tip Malc I will use that site again.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links