Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 10,000 Mile 2007 LS460 L has got a bad "squeeky" rattle from the front right hand wheel area...can't pinpoint it exactly.....

either from under floor, wheel arch , or suspension ....

loud enough for passengers to hear it...

only happens on certain types of small to medium stutter bumps....

but very annoying on such a high end car....any ideas welcomed... :shutit:

My 10,000 Mile 2007 LS460 L has got a bad "squeeky" rattle from the front right hand wheel area...can't pinpoint it exactly.....

either from under floor, wheel arch , or suspension ....

loud enough for passengers to hear it...

only happens on certain types of small to medium stutter bumps....

but very annoying on such a high end car....any ideas welcomed... :shutit:

Does the rattle stop when you slightly press the brake pedal?

I'll swop my 1994 LS400 with your LS460 and hang onto it until I find the problem for you :whistling:

Or seeing as it's still under warranty I presume take it into Lexus and let them do the diagnosis.

Ahhha...thanks for the offer pal...

The car has been to Lexus for the valve spring recall....I asked them to look for the rattle and they said it was a missing pad spring on the front right caliper...

but as expected the noise is no different.....

It does it with the brakes on so its not that anyway...but it is so obvious a sound I really thought I would sort it myself no worries....but I'm struggling now.

Spoils the car....

But as I said before...460 is not as quiet as the old 400...idling or on motorway....which was a disapointment...Air suspension seems poor too in my opinion....more squeeks and rattles too....the 400 had none at all....too many gears....stereo not as good either lads.

I have just got back from a 2800 mile roung trip to Italy in the 460....drove non stop to Venice in 26 hours from West Cumberland...so I now know the car well enough.

In all Honesty....

If I could turn back the clock ...I would have put some bearings in the wheel hubs on the old 203.000 mile MK3 and keep her another 5 years very happy.

My old car is in a delers for sale right now....I have thought about selling the 460 and getting her back...it was that good.

Sory to any 460 owners out there....but my advise...keep your MK3/4s. :whistling:

The car has been to Lexus for the valve spring recall....I asked them to look for the rattle and they said it was a missing pad spring on the front right caliper...

It does it with the brakes on so its not that anyway...but it is so obvious a sound I really thought I would sort it myself no worries....but I'm struggling now.

Spoils the car....

But as I said before...460 is not as quiet as the old 400...idling or on motorway....which was a disapointment...Air suspension seems poor too in my opinion....more squeeks and rattles too....the 400 had none at all....too many gears....stereo not as good either lads.

I have just got back from a 2800 mile roung trip to Italy in the 460....drove non stop to Venice in 26 hours from West Cumberland...so I now know the car well enough.

In all Honesty....

If I could turn back the clock ...I would have put some bearings in the wheel hubs on the old 203.000 mile MK3 and keep her another 5 years very happy.

My old car is in a delers for sale right now....I have thought about selling the 460 and getting her back...it was that good.

Sory to any 460 owners out there....but my advise...keep your MK3/4s. :whistling:

And if I could add a post script, keep your mk2's as well!

Spoils the car....

In all Honesty....

Is it the one up for sale on eBay in Cumbria?

Yep.thats my baby...... :crying:

Looks very nice indeed. I'm tempted to buy it, only 100 miles away :)

You said it needed the wheel bearings done? Which wheel(s)?

I wonder if they have been done..no mention of it in the description ......

The dealer is a good friend.....he is awaiting the parts for the front drivers side......bearing and hub......I spent big on the old girl recently

Water pump Alternator Power steering pump and cam belts all done together.......all by Lexus Carlisle......I changed all fluids....even the diff !....I changed the oil and filter every 3000...I bought it with 120 on....New cats and centre exhaust as they were blowing around the flanges.....new EGR pipe.

....it has slight rust on one rear arch an around windscreen....but clear winkers front and rear from USA....proper D8Z,s....wheels refurbed at Blackpool...

last winter I fitted new shocks and spring all round....new mounts for the springs too...new ball joints etc.....I even fed the bleedin leather once a month with Gliptone !....Odessy Battery was 200 quid too.

Just buy it pal....you will not find more mechanicaly sound one. :blush:

The dealer is a good friend.....he is awaiting the parts for the front drivers side......bearing and hub......I spent big on the old girl recently

Water pump Alternator Power steering pump and cam belts all done together.......all by Lexus Carlisle......I changed all fluids....even the diff !....I changed the oil and filter every 3000...I bought it with 120 on....New cats and centre exhaust as they were blowing around the flanges.....new EGR pipe.

....it has slight rust on one rear arch an around windscreen....but clear winkers front and rear from USA....proper D8Z,s....wheels refurbed at Blackpool...

last winter I fitted new shocks and spring all round....new mounts for the springs too...new ball joints etc.....I even fed the bleedin leather once a month with Gliptone !....Odessy battery was 200 quid too.

Hmm..rust.... Quite rare on the LS. How bad is the rust around the windscreen?

last winter I fitted new shocks and spring all round....new mounts for the springs too...new ball joints etc.....I even fed the bleedin leather once a month with Gliptone !....Odessy battery was 200 quid too.

With all that history & work done I wouldnt worry about a couple of scabs of rust, the car will go very cheap with that mileage,the rust can be treated & seen to quite cheaply in comparison to the mechanical work which has been done. Just my pennys worth as it sounds like a good buy.

As to the quality of of the 400 range a lexus mechanic I trained a couple of years ago & this week the ex service manager of lexus Brighton (im a hgv driving instructor) both were of the view that the 400s were the best car Lexus have produced, there was no budget set for the development hence the designers & engineers had a field day. Hence im in the position that I fancy a change for changes sake from my mark 4 but I know it will never happen because I know I will regret it. I also was informed that Lexus were buying 500,000 miles + examples to strip them down to check for wear on major components.

The service manager stated that he loved the years he worked for Lexus Brighton as it was such a great product & the training was second to none.

What a shame you let it go.

Mike

With all that history & work done I wouldnt worry about a couple of scabs of rust, the car will go very cheap with that mileage,the rust can be treated & seen to quite cheaply in comparison to the mechanical work which has been done. Just my pennys worth as it sounds like a good buy.

As to the quality of of the 400 range a lexus mechanic I trained a couple of years ago & this week the ex service manager of lexus Brighton (im a hgv driving instructor) both were of the view that the 400s were the best car Lexus have produced, there was no budget set for the development hence the designers & engineers had a field day. Hence im in the position that I fancy a change for changes sake from my mark 4 but I know it will never happen because I know I will regret it. I also was informed that Lexus were buying 500,000 miles + examples to strip them down to check for wear on major components.

The service manager stated that he loved the years he worked for Lexus Brighton as it was such a great product & the training was second to none.

I'm not worried about rust usually. I can fix that myself quite easily, but rust around the windscreen can be a real PITA though.

I was told by the Service Manager at Lexus the same thing about the No Budget for thr 400's....when I said the new 460 was noisier...he said it was not built with the aim of utter smoothness and quietness in mind lke the 400......my 460 is much harsher over bumps...despite Air.

The transmission is jerky when cold...too many gears...5 would be plenty...brakes are graby and bad to judge at times....carpets are not as ....er....wooly ?.....leather on seats seems thin....stereo does not sound as good to me either.....and its Bleep Bleep "GONG" .... BLOODY BLEEP ! .. :tsktsk:

But I admit I am growing to like it...it is a great looking car...I find myself staring at it on the driveway........but I was smitten at first drive wth the 400.....

and I know I will spend the rest of my life regretting the change I made....I am a Sentimental old fool I know....I have enjoyd many cars over my near 30 years of driving...

and I really thought I could'nt go wrong with a 460....I mean for Gods sake...its a Lexus LS460 !...

But I now "KNOW" I "had" the Best car I ever owned....both in driving and working on it....{it was so beautifully put together}...

typing this I feel like selling the 460 and going to get my 400 back....TONIGHT !....but ...when I stand on the step and look at the 460 I think.... " WOW what a car...are you an Idiot man ?....give it another few weeks and you'll be OK "..... :rolleyes:

P1030156.jpg

If nothing else, your story makes us LS400 owners who couldn't possibly afford a 460 feel a little better about that, though it also reminds us: 'What could I possibly replace my car with?'.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links