Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Motorway Speed Limit Set To Rise To 80mph

Steve

I think it's about time, 70mph was only ever supposed to be a temporary speed limit anyway.

All the people saying it will cause accidents should stop paying so much attention to the people going fast and penalise the ones doing 50mph in the middle lane, they are the ones that create the speed differential with vehicles approaching from behind and force everything into the outside lane.

80mph limit is fine really. These so called "safety" groups should delve a little deeper into what constitutes a danger on the roads. Speed in itself is not the real problem, it is inappropriate speed.

I think they should concentrate more on the real issues such as drivers who insist on using the middle or outer lanes even when the nearside lane is available. They should be prosecuted for doing this as it is illegal. It doesn't matter really what the upper speed limit is most of the time as the outside lane is frequently clogged up due to the inconsiderate morons who will only use the middle lane.

80mph limit is fine really. These so called "safety" groups should delve a little deeper into what constitutes a danger on the roads. Speed in itself is not the real problem, it is inappropriate speed.

I think they should concentrate more on the real issues such as drivers who insist on using the middle or outer lanes even when the nearside lane is available. They should be prosecuted for doing this as it is illegal. It doesn't matter really what the upper speed limit is most of the time as the outside lane is frequently clogged up due to the inconsiderate morons who will only use the middle lane.

I agree, middle lane drivers are a cause of most frustrations.

If the legal limit is increased to 80mph does that mean with the police camera calibration and the owners speedo under read, this gives the police +10% +2mph before speeding is an offence, does that mean I can travel at 90mph without too much of a concern for tickets?

I don't usually go beyond 80 -85 as I am concerned about fuel, just wondering though.

If the legal limit is increased to 80mph does that mean with the police camera calibration and the owners speedo under read, this gives the police +10% +2mph before speeding is an offence, does that mean I can travel at 90mph without too much of a concern for tickets?

I don't usually go beyond 80 -85 as I am concerned about fuel, just wondering though.

I got a fixed penalty for doing 92 mph on the M5 in 1996 and the advice of the police traffic officer who caught me, even then, was to stick between 80-85 mph and no one would bother me. Ever since then I've had no hesitation in driving past police vehicles on the motorway at those speeds without having a problem. The police have been trying to get the speed limit changed to 80mph for a long time, so what they decide to enforce is the reality. Why it's going to take another two years to introduce is baffling as it'll allow two years of campaigning by the tree huggers and 'safety' campaigners.

I got a fixed penalty for doing 92 mph on the M5 in 1996 and the advice of the police traffic officer who caught me, even then, was to stick between 80-85 mph and no one would bother me. Ever since then I've had no hesitation in driving past police vehicles on the motorway at those speeds without having a problem. The police have been trying to get the speed limit changed to 80mph for a long time, so what they decide to enforce is the reality. Why it's going to take another two years to introduce is baffling as it'll allow two years of campaigning by the tree huggers and 'safety' campaigners.

I have had the same experience with the Police. A good few years ago my friend was stopped for driving at 94 MPH on a dual carriageway while I was a passenger.

The Policeman told my mate if he had just kept it under 90 MPH they would have let him go but the braking distances over 90 MPH are the thing that worry them.

The result was he got a speeding ticket and was supposed to go to court, he never went, moved house several times and never heard any more about it. He then went on to become a driving instructor for both cars and bikes!

Steve.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links