Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Alloy Wheels

The alloys on my IS are in generally good condition, but I'd like them refurbished - Lexus dealer in Edinburgh won't tell me who refurbishes the wheels on their used cars - can anyone help - someone local preferably (east Scotland)

The answer to your question, funnily enough might actually be, Lexus Edinburgh will..

There is a known manufacturing fault on Lexus alloys pre 2002 which can result in the wheels corroding, caused by the fact that Lexus only coated the alloys with one coat of lacquer.

And Lexus have in the past, replaced these free of charge.

This applies to cars pre 2002, that are still under warranty.

Post 2002, Lexus started to add two coats of lacquer. (Wheels actually made in South Africa for Lexus.)

And as long as there is no damage to the wheels, apart from corrosion, then you may be in with a chance.

It's also not something Lexus tend to advertise about, but they DO replace corroded alloys.

First couple of questions then, are as follows:-

Is your car a pre 2002?

Is it sill under warranty?

If the answer is yes, to these, then you could well be eligible to get them replaced under warranty.

Check with your dealer first to see what he says, but be firm, and do mention that Lexus DO replace corroded wheels under warranty.

The answer to your question, funnily enough might actually be, Lexus Edinburgh will..

There is a known issue regarding a manufacturing fault resulting in corrosion on Lexus wheels.

And Lexus have, under warranty replaced them, free of charge.

This applies to cars pre 2002, that are still under warranty.

And as long as there is no damage.

It's also not something Lexus tend to advertise about, but they DO replace corroded alloys.

First couple of questions then, are as follows:-

Is your car a pre 2002?

Is it sill under warranty?

If the answer is yes, to these, then you could well be eligible to get them replaced under warranty.

Check with your dealer first to see what he says, but be firm, and do mention that Lexus DO replace corroded wheels under warranty.

why only pre 2002 have they changed them since?

does that mean i cant claim ?

Sorry Baz.. you cought me mid edit... :lol:

Yup, after 2002 they started to coat the wheels with two coats of lacquer, or rather, all 2002 cars and onwards are supplied with twin laquer coated wheels.

(I'm quoting my dealer here!)

Sorry Baz.. you cought me mid edit... :lol:

Yup, after 2002 they started to coat the wheels with two coats of lacquer, or rather, all 2002 cars and onwards are supplied with twin laquer coated wheels.

(I'm quoting my dealer here!)

better take mine out of that chlorine bath then!!

For info, my car is a Jan '02 and I'll be chasing my dealer for replacements before the warrantly runs out.

But that's only because I'm a bit of a gambler :luck: , and I might have to accept that my car being 2002, they will not replace them under warranty. :angry:

Hmmm, I bought a Jan 2002 (51) 200SE and by October 2002 the alloys were rotten! Dealer said they'd replace them (foc) on the next service, but then I traded the car in before the next service came up.

So, there's a chance that early 2002 models will have the alloy problem too :sad:

OK, so my alloys are out of warranty and appeared to have been refurbished at some point before - now they are beginning to corrode again - someone told me that either the Lexus dealer could arrange for a refurb. job or could provide me with second hand alloys that had had a refurb. job with mine in part exchange, seeing as it is a longstanding problem - seems too good to be true - anyone with any knowledge

my car is way out of warranty and the wheels were done at a body shop by the garage where i bought the car from , anyway the missus clipped 2 of them (to be fair shes pretty good) so i got a local tyre dept near me to send them off and refurb them . i think they look pretty dam good . works out at about £60 a wheel , but that did inc everything . sorry about the piccy my cameras not the best !!

yes ! they look like new ! the outer edge is diamond cut (like the originals) and the rest is a bright silver , even the inside is like new . i was vvvvery impressed . they came back all boxed up and ready to fit . 10/10 .

i saw on their website that chipsaway do wheel repair, anyone know if its any good? you said £60 a wheel? does the price depend on the amount of damage or was it a fixed rate?

anyone know anything about the A10 alloy wheel centre? or anywhere else down in london?

the wheels where curbed all round and 4 had been refurbed before (and not very good either) . as i say they came back like new . i am sure you can get it cheaper , but as they say "you pays your money and you take your choice" and i am glad i took mine . the tyre place sent them away to someware in the midlands (i think) i did ask him about them and the bloke said "most tyre places will refurb wheels at this place (were my rims went) , but the wheels have to go through a tyre depot becouse people will be sending them all sorts of crap and they have to be vetted" so try your local place and see what they say .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links