Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

View On New Bmw 3 Series?

I had a look at the new 3 series in some auto magazine and it just looked like the current one to me. hardly any difference to the body. dont know if there is any improvement to the interior.

what do others think?

I had a look at the new 3 series in some auto magazine and it just looked like the current one to me. hardly any difference to the body. dont know if there is any improvement to the interior.

what do others think?

It has a slightly longer, racier looking bonnet - but you're right, visually it's very similar to the current one.

• 2 weeks later...

my mate saw a 1 series and a 3 series he said it looked like it had hit a wall at the front and never liked the new bmws my favs are the 1st m3 and the 635csi and i quiet liked the 840 ci and the 850ci

Doesn't matter how good or how well a 3 series go's... for me they lack that one thing I like in a car.... rarity.

captured to perfection , the prestige ,magic & panache of owning a german car has diminished considerably in the last 20 years

i had a bmw 325 sport in the late eighties followed by 6 mercs in 15 years , during which time the "exclusivity" of the german brand's became diluted , a class/ b class/ 1 series brought base prices down mixed together with current crazy lease deals ,

you can lease a current c class sport for the same monthly payment as the HP on a mid range french car ???? eeerrrrrrrr , let me think for a minute ?

drove me to VW 4 years ago & now into lexus , no regrets & can only see more lexus purchases in the forseeable

happy days , premium quality without the badge snobbery !

I did briefly (very briefly) look at 3 series when I was on my company car hunt (along with a A4 and C Class). The C was the nicer of three Germans, but as soon as I got in the IS I knew where I'd rather spend my time (and company's money :lol: )

You could hardly call an IS rare. They're everywhere. I see at least a dozen or so on every journey - however short. I was surprised by this because it is one of those anonymous cars that I had never noticed until I bought one.

I'd have a 3 over an IS any day. The only reason I didn't is price. Cheapness is the only real reason to buy one over a "3" or a "C".

You could hardly call an IS rare. They're everywhere. I see at least a dozen or so on every journey - however short. I was surprised by this because it is one of those anonymous cars that I had never noticed until I bought one.

I'd have a 3 over an IS any day. The only reason I didn't is price. Cheapness is the only real reason to buy one over a "3" or a "C".

when I lived in St Andrews in Scotland there were only 3 IS, 1 GS and 1 LS in the whole town. More RX may be 5 or 6.

in Leeds there are many, but if I see 10 a day of IS I see 100 or more of 3 and c each. In company car park there are only two Lexi, about a dozen BMW and dozen Audi.

Yes, not as many as the ubiquitous Germans but the new shape IS has certainly taken off in popularity. I think perhaps that because most of them are in shades of black or grey I used to mistake them for a "3" or an Avensis. I must say that they look quite striking in the metallic red....... at least when they are clean anyway :).

I'd love a 3 but I'm not prepared to compromise on spec and not prepared to pay the going rate for a high spec six pot BMW as a second car. I'm sure this wasn't the original intent of Lexus but the IS conveniently fills the gap between Mondeo/Vectra and "3"/"C" in terms of price, quality and ability.

I totally disagree on your comments re quality - Having just evaluated all 3 of the IS's rivals I can categorically state that the fit and finish of the IS is far far superior to the others. But more importantly it's the attention to detail especially in the hidden areas.

Couldn't disagree more. Unless they have changed dramatically in the last couple of years, the IS interior is less visually appealing than any of the Germans - this wouldn't matter if it wasn't so shoddily put together. On top of that the brakes aren't up to the job, the engine choice is between an unreliable/uneconomical/agricultural diesel and a gutless V6 petrol. The only saving grace is the excellent auto 'box.

There is less room in the back and the driving experience, while better than the FWD cars is way behind the "3" and the "C".

& then join the BM forum's :crying: full of complete tossers who carry on online as they do on the road, arrogant snotty knowall's who seem convinced the car they own far surpasses everyone elses , quite amusing really

i had a 5 series tourer for 7 months this year,joined the 5 forum but after 4/5 weeks just gave up visiting the site , unlike the vw touareg forum which i still participate on regularly

really enjoyed slagging my 5 off when i sold it , even though it was a good motor just wanted to bring out the goon's ! which it did haha , , enjoy the read

As I mentioned earlier, it is a lot cheaper than a similarly specced BMW or Merc. If it weren't they wouldn't sell any.

A decent, similar age/mileage/spec C-Class or 3 Series would cost twice the trade in value of my IS. I'm no fan of German Cars and would always buy Japanese in preference if it made sense. That is why I bought the IS.......... because the price difference made it better value. I'm just not blind to its failings.

Can't work out if Simon D is just playing devil's advocate, his comments are always negative.

If you take them at face value then it is unfortunate that he couldn't afford to buy the type of car he really wanted and had to settle for what in his mind is inferior, I can sympathise as many many years ago I was given a Ford Cortina as a company car, I absolutely hated the thing.

I suppose I am fortunate in that when I decided to buy a new car I was not constrained by price and after months and months of comparing chose to buy a Lexus, and glad I did.

what do others think?

I think it is wrong to suggest that BMW don't make fine cars. Choice is very much down to individual taste. What seems to be true is that Lexus cars are often owned by their drivers whereas BMWs & Audis tend to belong to their Employers and perhaps attract younger (or if you prefer: less discerning) drivers. Of course in the picture, still favouring the ore "thrusting" image of German Marques are "Sales Executives" attempting to belie they are in so many ways - including never quite learning to drive - really of scant consequence.

I'm just disappointed with the Brand. I had high expectations and they have been completely dashed. It'll do for now but I expected more from Lexus.

I can afford to buy what I want but I set a budget for a second car. I didn't realise only positive comments were welcome here. :mellow:

what do others think?

I think it is wrong to suggest that BMW don't make fine cars. Choice is very much down to individual taste. What seems to be true is that Lexus cars are often owned by their drivers whereas BMWs & Audis tend to belong to their Employers and perhaps attract younger (or if you prefer: less discerning) drivers. Of course in the picture, still favouring the more "thrusting" image of German Marques are "Sales Executives" attempting to belie they are in so many ways - including never quite learning to drive - really of scant consequence.

Everybody has a BMW nowadays from directors to chavs on a council estate... in my opinion it has lost it's glamour it once had... whereas Lexus people just assume you have money as you don't often see any old riff raff driving...

I just think of them as company cars now like the passat, mondeo and vectra...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links