Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chipping

A friend of mine has relations within a company in France who sell power chips for vehicles.

Apparently the IS200 with 155HP standard undergoes a 20HP increase and 18 for the torque.

Has anyone chipped, worth it?

A friend of mine has relations within a company in France who sell power chips for vehicles.

Apparently the IS200 with 155HP standard undergoes a 20HP increase and 18 for the torque.

Has anyone chipped, worth it?

Which chip is it, Bex ?...... and what price ?

The company that makes these chips is called:

powerchips.jpg

QUELLE AUGMENTATION DE PUISSANCE VAIS-JE OBTENIR ?

What sort of increase in power will I obtain? B)

Votre véhicule (your car) : LEXUS - 2.0 IS 200

Puissance d'origine (standard power output) : 155 Ch

>> Gain de puissance après préparation (power increase after): +20 Ch

>> Gain de couple après préparation (torque increase after) : +18 %

Thing is, they say - power gain after 'preparation' which could indeed mean total vehicle preparation - exhaust, filter etc. :blink:

352.0 Euros

Ok, will do - but still, no one on the forum with a chip has answered me. :whistling:

I have other purchase plans before these, but I will keep you posted. :mat:

I have a HKS FCON S - it provided me with maybe 10-12hp improvement at peak power, but then that's in conjunction with an exhaust, induction etc. A chip will help with ensuring correct air/fuel mixture for the mods and some also adjust ignition timing too.

Essentially the chip is ensuring you are getting the most power out of your car given air intake/fuel supply, and in some cases can improve fuel economy as a result, as well as giving you mush smoother throttle response.

For their cost though (bear in mind rolling-road and mapping tim) a chip is really only worth it though when you start playing with induction/exhaust etc.

Guys,

I had a Unichip fitted and the rolling road showed 152BHP prior to installion and 173BHP after it was put in and set up. B)

My car has an HKS Super Drager 2 back box and a custom induction kit to help it's asthma.

Hope this helps you decide.

Guys,

I had a Unichip fitted and the rolling road showed 152BHP prior to installion and 173BHP after it was put in and set up.   B)

My car has an HKS Super Drager 2 back box and a custom induction kit to help it's asthma.

Hope this helps you decide.

Usually007, gained 21 BP with a custom induction kit, the HKS Dragger II muffler AND a UniChip.

Therefore a chip alone cannot possibly give 20 BHP improvement.

So Bex, I hope THAT helps you to decide...

Ultraviolet will be able to correct any errors I make here but, I think you can get signifigant gains from ECU mods alone. I have heard tell of a mod for another jap sports motor with a mear 1600cc that has signifigantly improved power and consequent accleration. this is without the aid of induction and exhaust mods. just a set of cut down springs to make it corner better (that needs rethinking as I understand...)

maybe its just the Lex engine that cant get much out of re mapping but I think others can.

Conversly I remember a 1.9 205 GTI I had ten years ago that had a 4-2-1 pipe, induction kit, ported and polished head and a BBR starchip, that went from 129bhp to 160bhp but the cost of the mods was "signifigant". the car was fast as owt though!

Loz

You're right Loz,

However, I'm afraid it doesn't matter what gains you can get by chipping or modding a Honda's ECU, they won't help bex get any better gains on his Lexus.

maybe its just the Lex engine that cant get much out of re mapping but I think others can.

That's exactly right. The 1G-FE engine just ain't that good for chip modding, and gains to the standard engine would be minimal.

You should see 6hp/12 ft/lbs on a standard is200 with 97/98 octane if the mapping is done properly. You may get more if you can get hold of any rocket fuel :D

It is possible to get a lot more power by rechipping some other cars. I think the best n/a car remapping we ever saw was about 30hp, which is exceptional. About 10% more power is average.

hmmm

10% of the 218bhp my GS runs would be quite welcome. tipically how much does this cost nowadays?

would it be best to put new pipes on first and then get the chip. mine is a mk2 GS300.

Cheers,

Loz

ps. hope this is still considered "ON" topic

You should see 6hp/12 ft/lbs on a standard is200 with 97/98 octane if the mapping is done properly.

6hp for about 600quid!! that seems a lot of money for a small increase IMHO..

You may get more if you can get hold of any rocket fuel  :D

Or AvGas.. cheaper and more readily avaiable..

You should see 6hp/12 ft/lbs on a standard is200 with 97/98 octane if the mapping is done properly.

6hp for about 600quid!! that seems a lot of money for a small increase IMHO..

You may get more if you can get hold of any rocket fuel  :D

Or AvGas.. cheaper and more readily avaiable..

you probly get a better performance gain by polishing the throttle bodies internals...

I'm sure you could have the Head ported and polished for less actually... and I betthat would give you 12-20 bhp (10 - 20 % increase surely??)

...and for less than 600 squidly didlies!

:zee:

£600 plus vat is expensive for 6hp, but that's the nature os the is200 I'm afraid :crybaby:

It may be worth talking to Van Aaken, I believe they were offering a cheaper alternative but I though their claims were a bit optimistic.

You won't see any performance gain from polishing the throttle body on the is200, or get the head ported properly and fitted etc for £600 - good suggestion though Loz :)

The Dastek ecu works well on the gs300 (Shrek had his done last year)

I wasn't saying that the product wasn't any good... just for the same price you could get a exhaust and induction kit, which would probably give you a much better performance gain...

You're not exact spoilt for choice for tuning goodies for the is200, but exhaust, induction and ecu remap is the way to go for most people that are not considering the supercharger.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links