Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would you let a computer override you driving to prevent a crash?

Steve

Every year, 1.3 million people are killed and 50 million injured on the world’s roads. Carmakers are racing to create a vehicle that will never crash, but can it be done and will drivers accept a computer that overrides their driving? Would you let a computer override you at the wheel?

<p>Every year, 1.3 million people are killed and 50 million injured on the world’s roads. Carmakers are racing to create a vehicle that will never crash, but can it be done and will drivers accept a computer that overrides their driving? Would you let a computer override you at the wheel?</p>

I would think that this will be a feature on cars relatively soon and eventually on all new cars. When that time comes it won't be a question of "will you allow it" but a question of do you buy a new car or buy an older car which hasn't got the facility fitted. Lane departure systems, radar cc, traction control, VSC, ABS...........these are all forms of intervention by computer to your driving anyway so it's a natural progression I suppose.

<p>Every year, 1.3 million people are killed and 50 million injured on the world’s roads. Carmakers are racing to create a vehicle that will never crash, but can it be done and will drivers accept a computer that overrides their driving? Would you let a computer override you at the wheel?</p>

YES, ABSOLUTELY!!!......... Provided every other car on the road had a similar computer system fitted (That day is a long way off) :shutit: :shutit:

YES, ABSOLUTELY!!!......... Provided every other car on the road had a similar computer system fitted (That day is a long way off) :shutit: :shutit:

I think that's a very important point actually...

Because if your computer controlled car senses a crash and makes a 20 milisecond decision to brake to save you. You're still gunna get hit from behind by the guy who's still only got human reactions on his side.

Already got it as the IS-F automatically pulls in any slack in the seatbelt micro seconds before braking when the radar senses the obstacle in front is too close for the current speed. First time it happened was when a car (a Volvo of course) turned into the gap I'd left to the car in front at a slower speed than either of us in the overtaking lane were doing. It was a bit of a shock the first time the IS-F effectively took over control, but it happened a second time and I wasn't so phased. The settings are a bit over cautious as on both occasions I had already anticipated the only corrective necessary was to stop accelerating, :eerrrmm: but I reckon it's a very useful feature if at either occasion I had been momentarily distracted for any reason.

Is this actually going to be possible though? Say for example a car slices you up close changing lanes on a motorway... the computer system thinks a crash it going to happen and slams on your brakes...causing all the cars behind you to crash into you... even if all the cars behind have that special technology... people drive too close to each other generally on a motorway so there wouldn't be enough of a braking distance... meh, I don't know.. just a thought - Maybe it will cause accidents rather than prevent by being over cautious, like the ISF example above...

• 2 weeks later...

The new s class mercedes already has auto brake, works on a radar system. It wont actually let your drive close enough to the person infront for you to rear end them no matter how fast you drive or how sudden they stop.

If some fool pulls out of a side street infront of you though, when your doing 30mph, doesnt matter what system you have your still crashing. I cannot think of a system or even an idea how to prevent this happening no computer will ever over come some drivers complete stupidity. Yes theres systems out now that can and will reduce crashes but its a long long way from being zero crashes.

Crashing is part of driving its going to happen so many cars doing so many miles theres going to be times when 2 cars want the same space. Thats why its called an accident. Personally i think re training would be more benificial. Your driving licence should last you 3? 4? 5? years then you have to re-sit your test. Afterall your car has to be checked anually to make sure its fit to be on the road but the important bit, the driver, never has to be re checked for what could be 40 years !. The system could be run like the motor bike c r b test. Not a test as such but training, your not permitted to carry on driving until your at a certain standard. Maybe a straight forward pass or fail test could be employed that way if you cant drive safe your off the road until you prove you can. Not saying either will work but would get to the root of the problem rather than getting around it.

Bottom line, poor driving causes crashes electronic devices will just reduce the problem buy getting around it, shouldnt solving the problem by illiminating bad driving be the way forward.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links