Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Snow Mode Permanent Activation

Hello,

is there any way to activate snow mode on so it would be on permanently, now when I restart the car it goes off, for some reason sport mode does not do this.

Or does the use of snow mode all the time in the winter cause some kind of issues and that is the reason why it cannot be used all the time?

Hello,

is there any way to activate snow mode on so it would be on permanently, now when I restart the car it goes off, for some reason sport mode does not do this.

Or does the use of snow mode all the time in the winter cause some kind of issues and that is the reason why it cannot be used all the time?

Hi

The snow mode as far as I am aware is simply the deactivation of the ABS and is electronically controlled through the main ignition circuit,consequently each time you turn off the ignition you deactivate the deactivation so to speak.

There is no snow mode on the Mark 1 Lexus so mine never sees snow my nerves can't stand the experience.

I think it is something else than abs deactivation, more likely changed throttle response or starting with second gear, hard to say exactly.

It does make a big difference when driving in snow and ice, even I have proper winter tyres. For instance I was driving in snow using normal mode, a bit spirited driving I might say and the rear brakes were heating up since the traction control had to do so much work:) That is the reason I would like to use snow mode all the time, to save rear brake pads and tyres.

snow mode leaves ABS active. In fact I got into the habit of switching on snow mode every time I start the car as I worked out it was saving 20% on fuel (not sure if that is the right % but I posted about it a year or more ago). As far as I can tell, it simply tones down all your thottle inputs. This saves lots of fuel round town, but doesn't make any difference on a long run unless you are in heavy traffic.

I too found it works very well along with the snow tyres on ice and snow.

Mike

snow mode leaves ABS active. In fact I got into the habit of switching on snow mode every time I start the car as I worked out it was saving 20% on fuel (not sure if that is the right % but I posted about it a year or more ago). As far as I can tell, it simply tones down all your thottle inputs. This saves lots of fuel round town, but doesn't make any difference on a long run unless you are in heavy traffic.

I too found it works very well along with the snow tyres on ice and snow.

Mike

I stand corrected and having assumed this theory because a 1990Audi 90 I owned had a switch which disabled the abs and the theory was extended by my belief that abs is useless in snow as it assumes the car is skidding and does not apply the brakes timed to stop the car before you hit the kerb or whatever is in front of you.

As for the low gearing I suppose you could keep the car in low gear while driving in snow but that does'nt stop the front end going were it chooses regardless which direction you turn the wheel.

Yes, abs is not so good in snow than "normal" brakes, because when wheel locks up, the snow actually collects in front of the tyre and therefore helping the braking, same goes with ice if you have studded tyres in the car.

Since I have been driving in snow and ice recently, I can tell you that the major problem with Ls400 is not the front grip, that is actually really good (one of best I have ever experienced in any car) but the rear one is the problem. For instance today I was driving in really bad weather and you just don't have enough grip in straight line or corners. I was using snow mode and when I accelerated to 0->50km/h the traction control had to try its best all the time and still the car was turning sideways. It is the same in corners, 1cm too much throttle pedal and car goes sideways right away. The problem with LS400 is that it does not have much road feel, so it does not warn you at all, it just goes.

That isn't a problem with the LS, it's a problem with the tyres you're using - ie, they're not suitable for such inclement weather.

I beg to differ I have had this car 16 years I tried in my first year of ownership to drive it in snow and the experience so terrified me I have never tried since it was never designed to run around in snow it as no snow mode and three forward gears with overdrive.I suggest the only way you would get suitable driving and steering ability would be to apply snow chains as in NA and Canada but as they are illegal in the UK I'll play safe and leave it in the garage when it snows.Thats another reason she is 22 years old next year.

I take your point ambermarine (about no snow mode), but it sounds like you haven't tried snow tyres. If not, I think you would be gobsmacked by the difference.

Mike

Hi

My car spends jan to april in the garage because I spend the same period in SW Florida I have another runabout that I use when the roads are bad so the expense of buying applying snow tyres for a possible snow period is prohibitive. I agree with you if I have not tried them I cannot know what the difference is I do know that Florida is a nicer experience than trying to drive in snow.

That isn't a problem with the LS, it's a problem with the tyres you're using - ie, they're not suitable for such inclement weather.

I beg to differ I have had this car 16 years I tried in my first year of ownership to drive it in snow and the experience so terrified me I have never tried since it was never designed to run around in snow it as no snow mode and three forward gears with overdrive.I suggest the only way you would get suitable driving and steering ability would be to apply snow chains as in NA and Canada but as they are illegal in the UK I'll play safe and leave it in the garage when it snows.Thats another reason she is 22 years old next year.

Pretty much any car can drive in the snow so long as it has suitable tyres. The gearing is irrelevant. And snow chains are not illegal in the UK.

Try some winter tyres, I think you'll be astounded at the difference in grip.

Pretty much any car can drive in the snow so long as it has suitable tyres. The gearing is irrelevant. And snow chains are not illegal in the UK.

Try some winter tyres, I think you'll be astounded at the difference in grip.

Hi

Not illegal I concur but not practical and as I have already said and if you have not driven a ls400 mark1 in snow with or without snow tyres I suggest you let my opinion be just that and stop beating the crap out of everything I say.

Happy xmas

I've driven a great many cars, most of the cars I've owned are rear-wheel drive, including a TVR Chimaera. Just about all of them had wide tyres, and were therefore completely useless on ice or snow.

There's nothing personal in my comments, I'm simply pointing out that you're wrong when you say that poor grip in inclement conditions is the car's fault. It isn't, it's the tyres you're using.

I also do a great deal of cycling, usually on 23mm slick road tyres. But at this time of year, when there's ice on the road, I use my MTB with its studded winter tyres.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links