Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Everywhere I read about the LS400 people say how lovely and quiet it is. Some articles say how the exhaust can be costly to replace. Putting these two together in my mind whilst following a C63 AMG Mercedes earlier, I was wondering if anyone has fitted a "performance" exhaust to the LS400 V8?

I know it's a bit boy-racer and that's not really me to be honest, however I love the sound of a V8!

that sounds incredible!..im undecided whether its in a good way or not too :blink: its pretty gangster whatever way you look at it.haha. :zee: almost like it should be driving through Compton back streets on a set of Wire rims n white wall tyres B) love the V8 :D

Everywhere I read about the LS400 people say how lovely and quiet it is. Some articles say how the exhaust can be costly to replace. Putting these two together in my mind whilst following a C63 AMG Mercedes earlier, I was wondering if anyone has fitted a "performance" exhaust to the LS400 V8?

I know it's a bit boy-racer and that's not really me to be honest, however I love the sound of a V8!

It never needs replacing though !!!! It's just the flanges that are a pain in the a.se so they say.

And if you're looking for a throaty V8 sound well, don't ever look to the LS400 ....... it's so refined and gentlemanly it doesn't burp, fart or growl EVER :hehe:

Malc

I've seen listings on fleabay for custom stainless steel cat back systems for around £500.00 they will design the exhaust note to customer requirements! :D

Hi Boys & Girls,

Surely it defeats the whole object for its very existance.

Even heavily modded cars by the manufacturer (AMG, Cosworth, BMW M's etc) look cheap and tacky after a while but original cars always look good & stylish.

Happy Christmas.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

custom exhaust from y-pipe back... Replaced with 2" pipe all the way back with a new resonator in the middle and 2 turbo mufflers at the back instead of the 4 toyota ones.

I'm having the shop replace the cats and y-pipe with straight pipe soon as they are starting to rot

custom exhaust from y-pipe back... Replaced with 2" pipe all the way back with a new resonator in the middle and 2 turbo mufflers at the back instead of the 4 toyota ones.

I'm having the shop replace the cats and y-pipe with straight pipe soon as they are starting to rot

I wouldn't do that, you'll never pass another MOT. The new MOT regs state any car that came from the factory with a cat must have it fitted at the point of testing, or it's a fail.

How on earth did you get a 1992 Celsior registered on a '53 plate? I thought imports were either plated according to original build year, of that couldn't be proved, ended up on a Q?

No idea... I'm the second owner since import.

I believe it had a vanity plate fitted before this one so perhaps that has something to do it.

I wouldn't do that, you'll never pass another MOT. The new MOT regs state any car that came from the factory with a cat must have it fitted at the point of testing, or it's a fail.

I believe this is subjective to emission requirements.

My celsior pre-dates these requirements and is not required to have the cats fitted.

Just going off the advice of a local garage :)

On a car like the LS400 (which face it, handles like a boat), I don't quite see the point. On a sporty V8, yes.

Depends entirely upon what you want out of the car...

They are so cheap to buy now you don't have to feel bad about having a bit of a play with it... you can always quieten down the exhaust at a later date.

Also... what's not to like about a large, muscular sounding saloon burbling down the street? It has road presence and always gets compliments.

A middle finger to the resale grey hatchback brigade.

I believe this is subjective to emission requirements.

My celsior pre-dates these requirements and is not required to have the cats fitted.

Just going off the advice of a local garage :)

I'm afraid not, it bear no relevance to type of emissions testing.

Excerpt from the new Legislation

8.2.1.1 Exhaust Emissions Control Equipment - Visual Inspection - Reason for Failure a) Emission Control Equipment fitted by the manufacturer absent, modified or obviously defective.

If it was fitted by the manufacturer, and it's no longer there, you'll fail the MOT.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links