Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Light Cover - Condensation

I was due to look at a GS300 today buy the seller called saying he would rather postpone it until later in the week as the wind blew his fences down last night.

Being rather suspicious, I jumped in a company pool car and went on a spying trip - Expecting to see the GS300 bonnet open and last minute work being done. However, there were 2 men erecting a fence and a load of broken panels so it seems the story is true. I'm not the sort to interrupt two men dealing with an erection in the garden ;)

Anyway, the car was on the drive and whilst I only took a brief glance, the clear plastic cover over the rear lights had some pretty serious condensation. I've seen a few GS300 on the road where this part looks it's age but never one quite as wet as this.

It will hopefully provide me with another haggling point, but is it easy to fix?

Keep going, I'm sure you will manage to convince the seller that they need to pay you to take it away with all the faults it has. Especially if you let them know you stalked them already, you will scare the sh*t out of them and they may even hand over all their worldly goods to boot.

Condensation is a common problem when a car is stood for some time. Once its dried out, its relatively easy. Drying out can be done on the car or, if you take it off then a good way of sorting condensation is to put the piece affected in a tub of rice. The rice will absorb and draw out the moisture.

The key though, is finding out where it is entering (the damp). A quick seal with silicon is the best way. There used to be a product called Comma Seak n Seal which changed its name and is a nautical product now (if its wanted I can search it out) which runs into the tiny gaps and solidifies. Its great for windscreens and really works. Can't quite remember the name but I know its a really daft name.

That's nothing compared with driving a "Company POOL Car" I bet that is well wet with condensation inside! :lol:

If you are worrying about a rear light cluster from a drive by distance what else will you find when you get up close and personal,the car is 17 years old and even Lexus have minor problems at that age.

Thanks for the replies.

If it's easy enough to remove I'm happy to find and fix the leak myself. I was asking just in case the response was "Its a bitch to remove and most people find it breaks when doing so"

Also look out for condensation in the headlamp units.

This is a common problem and is an MOT fail.

I have it on my GS generally during the winter and regularly have to dry it out with a hair dryer.

I will no doubt need to replace the headlight soon.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links