Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Now, since in Finland it is -20 currently and -30 promised for the weekend (not fun), my Ls400 is having much more heavy steering than before.

I did change the oil to the steering and there is now right amount of oil ,but even when the car heats up the steering is more heavy than before, it does have the power steering active tough.

So any ideas what to do?

The amout of oil is correct, when the car is cold it reaches the cold level in the dipstick.

If the fluid is not thick in the reservoir and appears normal,check for a small

fiter at the steering rack, I have not seen it, but it I'm sure I read about it.

This sometimes gets clogged up.

Someone else may confirm this

Is it possible that there is air in the system?

I drove yesterday about 500km and the steering was heavy. I noticed that there was too much oil in the system, cold engine and oil reached hot in the dipstick, so I removed extra oil and rest of the journey steering was ok, but now it is heavy again even there is correct amout of oil in the system.

Thanks for the advice so far:)

Always worth trying to bleed the power steering as it costs nothing either get both front wheels off the ground or put some glossy magazines under the tyres and slowly turn the steering from lock to lock a few times.

After doing this have a look in the reservoir, if it is frothy it is a sign of air in the system.

As previously mentioned check the solenoid screen on the rack ( google lexus ls400 solenoid screen).

Last resort it could be the rack itself or the pump.

Minus 30 degrees! -3 is enough for me thankyou!

Brrr!

Oils and greases become very viscous and can even freeze at low temperatures. Maybe you should ask locally for some advice about suitable low temperature lubricants? It would be a shame to damage the rack or a greased joint by forcing it accidentally.

Me, if I look out of the window and can see the windscreen is frosted up, I just stay in til later <wg>.

Well I did like Steve adviced, and put magazines under the tyres. The steering is definitely better, not so heavy and I think there was a bit of air in the system.

I went to test drive and even the steering is not so heavy, it is still more heavy than in summer time, but it was -22 anyway so that might explain it.

I think I will know more in Monday morning, when I start up the car from cold, is the steering any better. Good thing also is that for monday it is should be only:) -9.

402139_10150586805288914_602713913_8992101_1253026800_n.jpg

Ok, I changed the oil to the system. What was interesting, local Toyota dealer sold me completely different oil than motor factor, the Toyota oil was atf but "oil" color and the one in the system now is atf but red color,

Well the current oil does seem to be working, since steering is 100%, never has been so light when I have owned the car:)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links