Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I am considering an IS220 or IS250. I have read many views for and against both cars. This thread is only regarding fuel costs. Below is a comparison over 10k miles for Diesel and Petrol. This is based on Diesel at £1.38 and 40mpg, and Petrol at £1.33 and 30mpg. I have also linked to the Excel sheet so you can download and play with the figures. I am no expert with Excel and there is very likely someone who could make this more sexy or more clever.

fuel.jpg

I do about 20k per year and would therefore could potentially save over £1000 in fuel.

http://www.kgcs.net/...s/fuelcost.xlsx

Cheers, Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Diesels will always save a bit of money compared to its petrol equivalent but there are other things to put into consideration. Diesel cars are more expensive to buy than their petrol equivalent, am guessing the IS220 will not be as refined as the IS250 in terms of cabin noise on day to day driving. IS220 only comes with manual and IS250 could have manual or tiptronic(manumatic). Deiseld are slightyly more expensive to service than petrol and if things like an injector fails on a diesels could cost around £500 to £1000 to replace which wipes out any savings made from fuel expense. Petrol powered cars tend to perfom better top end than their diesel equivalent.

Diesels tend to shine only on motorway driving so if 80 to 90% of your driving will be town driving then you might not save as much by driving a diesel as their heavier than petrol engines. Turbos have to be replaced on a diesel at some point which cost around £1000 to £1500 put will not have to be replaced on a naturally aspirated petrol(IS250) So there are other factors to consider when deciding to go petrol or diesel other than the stated combined MPG figures, like initial price of the car, servicing cost, refinement of the car, performance, repair cost etc …

Hi Kenny,

Diesels will always save a bit of money compared to its petrol equivalent but there are other things to put into consideration. Diesel cars are more expensive to buy than their petrol equivalent, am guessing the IS220 will not be as refined as the IS250 in terms of cabin noise on day to day driving. IS220 only comes with manual and IS250 could have manual or tiptronic(manumatic). Deiseld are slightyly more expensive to service than petrol and if things like an injector fails on a diesels could cost around £500 to £1000 to replace which wipes out any savings made from fuel expense. Petrol powered cars tend to perfom better top end than their diesel equivalent.

Diesels tend to shine only on motorway driving so if 80 to 90% of your driving will be town driving then you might not save as much by driving a diesel as their heavier than petrol engines. Turbos have to be replaced on a diesel at some point which cost around £1000 to £1500 put will not have to be replaced on a naturally aspirated petrol(IS250) So there are other factors to consider when deciding to go petrol or diesel other than the stated combined MPG figures, like initial price of the car, servicing cost, refinement of the car, performance, repair cost etc …

I agree with this. Having owned both diesel & petrol versions of the Avensis and the IS the main benefit of the diesel is for people who do a high mileage that is mainly motorway. Both diesels were excellent Mway cruisers and both had nice torque if you hit the rev band just right. But for lower mileage, normal motoring the advantage is a lot less. Refinement, vibration and smell on my IS220, definitely play a part in the choice. Personally I found the Avensis 2.2d a better car to ride in than the Lexus and definitely a much better gearbox.

The IS250 may cost me marginally more to run than the 220d but it is worth it for the sheer ease and comfort with with it works. There was no premium on the cost of either the Avensis or Lexus diesels and in fact the 220d is a good bit cheaper to buy than the 250, nevertheless I swapped and haven't regretted it for a moment. But there again I don't do anything close to 20k a year so other people may have different priorities.

HI Kenny,

I've got a IS250 auto, great car to drive, driven the IS220 as a loan car, just didn't do it for me, didn't seem as refined and just missed the auto box in my car so much even after just a few weeks ownership, Cost wise I think both car are fairly expensive to own if you use the main dealers.

As far as fuel costs are concerned, my 250 being driving gently in town (not nose to tail, steady 25 to 40 mph) averages around 25mpg (actual consumption, fuel computer shows around 28mpg), it can drop to just below in winter and just over when it's warmer weather. On the motorway at a steady 70mph using cruise control, I can get around 40mpg (computer shows 45mpg). I'm not sure where you mainly drive, but, you may have to adjust your spreadsheet for town conditions and one for motorway driving.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it, I love my 250 auto, just wish it was a little more economical, but, that's the price you pay for V6 2.5 refinement.

Cheers

I am sure there will be endless arguments about achieved consumptions and the prices paid for fuel. At the end of it all the IS220D will surely work out to be cheaper to run in terms of fuel. This is only fair - there has to be some compensation for having to drive one.........

I am sure there will be endless arguments about achieved consumptions and the prices paid for fuel. At the end of it all the IS220D will surely work out to be cheaper to run in terms of fuel. This is only fair - there has to be some compensation for having to drive one.........

well said... Sterling I would say drive both maybe ask the dealer if they are willing to let you have each car for a week so spend a week with the diesel and week with the petrol then you can make up your mind on what best suits you. at the end of the day its your money. hope this helps

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links