Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Exhaust System Is200

Hi guys, just a quick question.

I had my MOT recently. Passed with flying colours but as the car is now 11 years old 90K clocked I asked them to have really good look at the exhaust system as it's all still the original. They said it was in excellent condition and nothing looked like going wrong anytime soon. Emissions were a tiny bit lower than last years MOT? How is that possible? Very happy obviously but I was a little surprised. So how long do they last? Forever?

Also still on original back shock absorbers, had 2 new front ones just before I bought it but the back shocks are in excellent condition!

These cars are seriously built to last!

exhaust emissions can vary place to place machine to machine. agree with you they are built to last mines 11 years old still on a complete oem factory exhaust!

Hello,not sure you are right in saying the oem exhaust is stainless steel,as far as I know its only the tailpipe/tip that is stainless steel not the entire system.

Hello,not going to get into a debate over it,however go out to your car,have look underneath at the exhaust then convince yourself that what you see is stainless steel,then check up the meaning of STAINLESS steel(emphasis being on the word stainless).Just dont believe everything you read or hear,check it out for yourself.

sorry to jump in, but it actually is, a non stainless system wouldn't last 11 years. my ek9 old exhaust was stainless doesnt mean it doesnt tarnish, only takes some polish to bring it up.

Depends on he grade of stainless, if its t405 it will get surface rust, if its t302 like aftermarket systems it will stay silver.

Used to work for magnex who made both types.

sorry to jump in, but it actually is, a non stainless system wouldn't last 11 years. my ek9 old exhaust was stainless doesnt mean it doesnt tarnish, only takes some polish to bring it up.

Ha ha ha... Well you can come and polish the advanced flaking tarnish off the section that connects the cat to the back box on mine if you like...

Ok so there seems to be some debate over weather it is stainless steel or not. Lexus Swindon and Lexus Bristol both say it is stainless steel and both dealers say stainless steel can rust and corrode, just takes a hell of a longer and this is backed up by the research I've done online and it would appear that stainless steel can stain and rust!

I'm not going to pretend I know for definate but I can't believe a non stainless

Steel system would last for 11 years and 92 thousand miles! On all my old cars, the exhaust, especially the back box has never lasted more than 5 years!

Hi had a mazda xedos 6 and the exhaust lasted 8 years with 96k miles on the clock befor it needed changing yet the exhaust on my wifes 2007 ford galaxy went this year with the car just under 5 yrs,seems the japs use better grade steel then.

Generally speaking, the more that you use the car, longer journies and all that, the longer your exhaust will last. Short trips will cause water in the exhaust fumes to condense inside the exhaust. since the exhaust fumes also contain carbon dioxide, then the water will be a mild carbonic acid then you will find that the carbonic will eventually eat through the average silencer where it collects.... Long trips will get the exhaust hot and so the inside of the exhaust will be dry and will last longer. Although my car is nearly always used for long trips, it can be weeks inbetween trips so the exterior of the exhaust will get damp and not regularly be dried and so is rusting from the outside in rather than the more usual from the inside out... It is possible that various components of the exhaust system is some form of stainless, possibly the silencer (More vulnerable than the pipe) at the rear but the pipe from this silencer that runs to the cat is certainly mild steel.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links