Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New 220D Owner, Mpg/egr Q's

jason61c

Howdy all.

Today I picked up my new is220d. Apart from going deaf on the way home with the stereo I love it.

Sheffield city centre to lincoln via a town trip in Newark netted me 39.5mpg, I guess this is good?

However I decided to have a look at the egr to see if it needed a clean....

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

It looked like it did to me! So cleaned and back together. A lot of crap came out. Wouldn't start the first time, second time it did and sounded like a bag of spanners. A short drive sorted it out, it starts and idles like normal.

Now is it in my head or not, the car felt smoother under 2000rpm and pulled better, also I thought the engine sounded a little "whiney", not in a bad way. Is it normal for the engine to react to its first start up in the above way?

Will I get even better mpg now its been cleaned out? The car will do 2000miles a month so shouldn't get clogged up again.

First impressions are good, gearing is strange but easy to get use to and its about 10mpg better than the is250 I had on the same route, this figure should improve now hopefully.

Did you just clean the EGR Valve? When i did mine I used a complete cleaning kit that is sprayed into the system whilst the engine is running, I also continue to use a fuel additive at each fill-up of the tank. For the full story, have a look at my thread "Problems headed off at the pass" which was a little earlier this year. I have had great results following the cleaning process and when I've finished using my supply of B10 additive I'm going to have a go with AR6400 (I think I've remembered that correctly) as recommended by normski2. (Providing I've still got the car of course!)

Hi

I just cleaned out the egr and all the assosicated connections, I only had 40mins spare to do it so didnt have time to get any fuel treatment stuff. I'll get some today although i'm always wary of such products for some reason!

I've a few long trips coming up and a 90 mile commute before to do a few times. I needed it to do 40mpg on the motorway commute where the is250 I tried did 32mpg, its managed that so far and i'm hoping with a long motorway drive it should get to 44ish. Thats where my friends 2.7 a6's sit MPG wise, they're a little lighter though but suffer NVH because of it.

The fuel additive I use is AR6200. its available from 'power enhancer' just google it or check back to Bluenose's previous post for info. I find it vey effective.

On a decent journey I get 49 -54 mpg without too much effort.. but I do use Cruise Control. Ignore cruise at your loss...it will beat your foot, every time.

You can get 39mpg around town and short commutes without too much effort.

your fuel figures are very good, last night I had a journey of 30 miles, mix of urban/single and duel late A-roads. I used the cruise and managed to get 44mpg ave over the journey. At was 74 in 6th and the rest in 5th. Cruise was used all the time, I really like the stalk location as it's so well placed to use without thinking. Its 6 weeks till I start my new job where the car will be earning its keep, with a 300mile trip straight off.

Current tank ave mpg is 38.

I've just ordered some ar6200 so will try that too. What else do you do to get your MPG figures? Have you had any engine warranty work done too?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers!

Had a new Short Engine under warranty.

I also use BG244 additive. 1 can into 50 litre fill up every 8000 miles. Said to help keep the fuel system, injectors and all nice and clean. Certainly made my engine sound a lot quieter and smoother.

Just keep an eye on that EGR valve. Tend to check mine every 5000 miles or so. It is such a quick and easy thing to do....once you done the first one!

Never use 6th gear. 75mph in 5th is fine ... in 6th is just awful!

• 3 weeks later...

You would be wise to take a read of these posts.

http://www.lexusowne...&hl=+egr +valve

also here, its toyota but it shows you what the EGR looks like!

http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=106241

Seek it out, check it, clean it. Do it every 6-8000 miles. Consider trying BG244 and AR 6200 additives as well. Personally, I found them worth the use.

Normski

I think Cleaning the EGR 6-8000 miles might be a little OTT depending on how many miles/type of driving you do. If you fall in the "only short drives" camp then yes, however with longer drives and proper engine temp I'm thinking it might not need it so often?

Since cleaning mine i've done 1000miles, the car will pull 6th at 70 without any vibration but I prefer to use 5th till 80ish MPH, the car is much better below 2000rpm.

Over the past 1200ish miles its averaged 41.5mpg overall, this figure is rising all the time, on any long commute on the motorway i'm getting an easy 45-47mpg without trying too hard, thats using my lead foot when getting up to speed too, yet again I think this does the engine some good. The car is smoother now i've got a few miles on it. I'll have a look at my egr in a years time to see how its looking.

I'm a very happy camper in my 220d, I was hoping for 40mpg on the motorway and the car has averaged over that since owership ;)

Thanks Jason and Normski,

Is this something that the Lexus dealer should do during a service? And how is it linked in to the DPF? I keep reading about short journeys clogging it up but is it temperature or revs that are need to clean it? I do a lot of longish trips but tend not to use a lot of Revs. Sorry if these questions seen a tad nieve!

I'm getting between 41 and 42mpg per tankful on mainly motorway/suburban roads. Got 45 on a run down to the south of France a couple of months back and that was averaging 64mph topping out at the occasional 90!

I don't get any problems with 6th at 70 so long as I don't have a hill to climb.

Cheers.

Also have a look at all the posts here

http://www.lexusowne...opic=64978&st=0

I would say you would be very unwise to NOT check it periodically. Do it once and then you will have a routine worked in your head for next time. I did mine again, as a refresher after about 3000 miles. You can do it in an hour easy.

Jason's point is valid though. The mileage you do will have a bearing on how dirty or not the EGR becomes. Many short runs don't help!!

Thanks Jason and Normski,

Is this something that the Lexus dealer should do during a service? And how is it linked in to the DPF? I keep reading about short journeys clogging it up but is it temperature or revs that are need to clean it? I do a lot of longish trips but tend not to use a lot of Revs. Sorry if these questions seen a tad nieve!

I'm getting between 41 and 42mpg per tankful on mainly motorway/suburban roads. Got 45 on a run down to the south of France a couple of months back and that was averaging 64mph topping out at the occasional 90!

I don't get any problems with 6th at 70 so long as I don't have a hill to climb.

Cheers.

My 220d had consumption 10liter per 100km, but I had also less than 8liters in the city.

Is it ok?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links