Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Still Going Extremely Well!

Just a bit of an update on my 220d.

Many of you will recall that some time ago I started a thread entitled 'Problems headed off at the pass?' in which I discussed the cleaning of the EGR Valve on my car and, that I had used the Bardahl Cleaning Kit and subsequently have used the Bardahl B10 Fuel additive at each fill-up of the tank. I also reported on what I thought were splendid mpg returns on my trip to Lincolnshire.

This then is just to tell you of my findings on a more local trip. Yesterday I went on a 75 mile round-trip to North Devon by way of the A376, and then passing through the centre of Exeter and then on to the A377 through Crediton, on these roads I encountered areas with speed imits of 20, 30, 40, and 50 mph, no real chance to use the Cruise Control because the roads have too many bends!

On arriving back home, the trip computer was showing 48.9 mpg. Once again I am very pleased with this. Under the circumstances I will be contiuing to use the B10 as the car seems to run very smoothly.

On my run to the local snooker club on Saturdays and all on 'B' roads, I find that I am always showing 42mpg, once agin I am pleased with this.

One futher point on the 220d, I am really impressed with the acceleration. On Saturday I went to Plymouth and on a few occasions I found it necessary to accelerate to get past a few cars so I thought I would give it 'bit of a go' and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the car got up to 3 figures!

All in all I am very pleased with every aspect of my car, I just wish that I did more annual miles to have justified my buying a diesel. So deep down I am still concerned that I may run into the problems often highlighted on here so am still looking to change to the 250

This is interesting Geoff. I too have bought the B10 additive, but as yet, I have not had the chance to take the EGR Valve apart for inspection. Saying that, I am currently getting an average of 42mpg, doing about 500-600 miles a week. The car was in at Lexus Glasgow last week getting a replacement passenger mirror motor through warranty. They gave me a '12' plate IS250 Auto for the day.

I have now got experience with the IS200d, IS220d, IS250 and the new GS250. The IS200d is too under powered and really shows up how bad 6th gear is. The IS250 is whisper quiet and the engine and gearbox are really smooth. The GS250 is fantastic. The IS250 is very good but with it being so smooth and quiet, I personally would like a much smoother ride in an automatic car. I felt that the suspension was too firm. I would expect this on an IS250 sport manual. Economy wise, even though I only had the IS250 and the GS250 for a day, I did manage about 80 miles which was 70% motorway and 30% A-roads. The GS250 returned slightly better mpg. When I got the GS250, the tank average figure was at 38.2mpg.

Due to the mileage I do on a weekly basis, I need the diesel for the fuel economy. If I had an IS250 and drove my normal style, it would not get to 30mpg, whereas my IS220 gets 42mpg. Apart from the agricultural sound from the engine, I’m really pleased with my car.

Guest bigbullhead

Lincolnshire!!!!!! Are you local!!!! I too am from Lincolnshire sleaford originally but Boston in my last 12 years till moving to the south coast anyway the reason I wanted to pick your brains how to remove my EGR valve as the 2 nuts furthest from the valve are awkward to remove so I have booked it to be cleaned during my next service is there an easy way to get to them

Lincolnshire!!!!!! Are you local!!!! I too am from Lincolnshire sleaford originally but Boston in my last 12 years till moving to the south coast anyway the reason I wanted to pick your brains how to remove my EGR valve as the 2 nuts furthest from the valve are awkward to remove so I have booked it to be cleaned during my next service is there an easy way to get to them

Hiya bigbullhead, I'm a Brummie by birth but have lived in Devon for the past 38years. The reason for my trip to Lincolnshire is that my wifes sister lives in......................Sleaford!!

Have you been quoted a price for the EGR cleaning? My understanding from reading other threads on here is that it tends to be very expensive. Did you read my thread 'Problems headed off at the pass?' you need to read it from start to finish. Cleaning the valve really is very simple. the hardest part I found was having to remove the Battery and you have to do this in order to get at the rear nuts/bolts to enable the removal of the pipe. The only reason that I found it difficult is one of age I'm afraid, I just don't have the strength in my arms anymore and the Lexus batteries are B*# heavy!! I put loads of sheets over the car wing in case I had to put it down when lifting it out. I think if the Battery was at the front of the engine bay, then I would not have found it so difficult. This would not be a problem for a younger person I'm sure. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Guest bigbullhead

55 plus VAT but I see where I went wrong by not moving the Battery I will read you post all the through and have a go next time I am off work oh also where do you purchase B10 as looked on eBay and can't find any

Oh and I will say hello to sleaford when I pass on the way to skegness on the 21st September

55 plus VAT but I see where I went wrong by not moving the battery I will read you post all the through and have a go next time I am off work oh also where do you purchase B10 as looked on eBay and can't find any

Oh and I will say hello to sleaford when I pass on the way to skegness on the 21st September

Hi again bigbullhead, with all due respect, your username seems to imply that you are a well built chap and, as such you will not have the problems that I encountered in lifting out the Battery.

With regard to the EGR Valve Cleaning kit, which you may not choose to use, here is the link - http://top-oils.co.uk/egr-valve-cleaning-kit-p-191.html

The link to the B10 additive is - http://top-oils.co.uk/additives-maintenance-diesel-additives-c-1_47.html

If you need some help or more information, give the proprietor a call, he was really helpful to me, he sent me a few emails and he will answer all of your questions. His name is Peter Trott and his number is 01923400193 or 07968874082, tell him that you got the lead from a LOC member (Geoff Lees) and he will do everything to be helpful. He travels around the country most weekends giving oil support at motor race meetings.

You may also like to read this thread - http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=76275&hl=

This thread will also be of interest to you and you should definitely read it - http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=72447

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for that it was very good reading and the additive would you say is better than AR6200 or have you not tried ?

No I have not tried any other additive but would always be willing to give it a go. Another member, normski2, has used another brand and seems to be happy with the results. I seem to remember that he calculated that it was slightly cheaper than the B10 too. might be worth considering.

This is the relevant bit Geoff and I got nattering about:-

Not wishing to get into a scrap at all. But can I just point out there is a price difference, but it works out slightly different to what you may have thought. Apologies for my typo on the post above, I put 6p and meant to put 60p...oops!

B10 costs £15 for 250ml, and 250 ml treats 250 ltrs of fuel. 1ml of b10 costs 6p. So, if you put 50 ltrs of diesel into the tank you would put in 50 ml of B10 which would be £3.

AR6200 costs £33 for 250ml, but 250ml treats 2500 ltrs of fuel. 1ml ofAR6200 costs just over 13p. If you put 50 ltrs of diesel into the tank you would put in 5ml of AR6200 which would be around 65p. Incidentally it is advised to do the first thre fill ups at double dosage, so its £1.30 for those.

I just hope I was paying attention in Mrs Gray's maths lessons all those years ago, if not I'll get the hat!!

At the end of the day you pays yer money and you takes yer pick. Having said that I will try B10 next time to satisfy my own curiosity.

B10 here - http://top-oils.co.u...50ml-p-298.html

AR6200 here - http://www.powerenha...ifier-lubricant

Later: Thats got it!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links