Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Done For Speeding :(

And the fact your dad owns the company!

Haha Matt I wish mate! I meant its a company for old men not my old mans company!

Still not told them I got done for speeding. Will do it when my licence gets back. I'm in Italy for the next 3 weeks on buisness anyway.

Got home today to find a notice of prosecution waiting for me.

I was caught doing 75mph on a 50mph dual carriageway by a mobile detection unit. £60 and 3 points. Goodbye 14 years of having a clean licence :(

At first my reaction was anger but am now feeling very very lucky. Why?

Well I found out that if I was doing 1mph more I would have lost my licence as 76mph in a 50 zone is a driving ban and fine of upwards £200!!

Thing is I don't see why the speed limit on a straight dual carriageway with no pedestrian hazards or anything like that is 50mph? Surely it should be 70? The road even narrows into single carriagway and that is then signposted as national speed limit which is 60mph! So the road narrows to 1 lane and the speed limit increases!! Doesn't seem right to me.

I know I would still have been speeding but only by 5mph. I honestly did not know I was speeding, sat at around 70mph all the way. I even went past the camera van happily. I saw it but didn't think I was speeding. I even went back to the road tonight as I couldn't remember seeing any 50mph speed limit signs but fair enough they are there!

Guess they wouldn't catch as many speeders if it was a 70 limit tho and make loads of money!

Didn’t they give you the option of paying £95 , doing a speed awareness course and not having points put on your licence?

Well guys, I;ve got a clean license, never claimed anything. I worked in a garage and used their insurance, hence 7 yrs NCB when I left,. I'm puzzled too at the cost.. I've used the cost comparison sites now for a number of years. Just seems to be going up every year:-(

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Really interesting. For me, over-regulation of the speed limits could, potentially, do more harm than good. I remember some research that my brother did on playground safety equipment at one point. Basically, playgrounds in the UK are over-regulated in terms of safety features and, consequently, don't allow children the opportunity to learn to manage the risks involved in play = more accidents despite the safety features. In other European countries, there are less stringent rules apparently, children learn to manage risk in play and, guess what, less injurys and accidents.

I can't help wondering whether the same might be true re stretches of road that have constantly changing speed limits within a short distance? Might be complete nonsense of course!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links