Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Trip To Wim In Milton Keynes Today

Ian M

I've just bought new tyres for my IS300 and the inside edges of the fronts were a little more worn that the outside edges - especially the off side. That set me wondering how long it is since I last saw Tony to have the magic done and it seems it's 3 years and almost 30,000 miles. Time flies!

So, I phoned and booked in at WIM's new Milton Keynes site, which is closer to home for me and just a hop and a skip off the M1 at junction 14, very convenient indeed. It's a new set up for Tony and they've only been there a few months so everything is clean and new but the service and knowledge is the same old Tony, as you'd expect. After doing all the checks, Tony diagnosed that my car has had some "road trauma" on the off side and the tracking at both front and rear on that side was a little out, along with the front camber. So, 45 minutes later, all was sorted and hopefully these new tyres will wear true and even.

As with so many other IS owners, I thoroughly recommend WIM’s services and the new place is so conveniently located that I won’t leave it another 3 years to be re-checked!

www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk

post-18339-0-13835200-1347555304.jpg

post-18339-0-52628000-1347555305.jpg

post-18339-0-99349900-1347555306.jpg

post-18339-0-42224300-1347555302.jpg

I was there last week! Mine was wearing a little on the outside edges as opposed to the inner, and a few parameters were out; 45 mins and all corrected - the small left pull is gone, and the small nose right when holding the steering wheel dead central also gone

Way I see it, £114 inc is worth it to not wear tyres, that cost a shed load more, out prematurely...

Way I see it, £114 inc is worth it to not wear tyres, that cost a shed load more, out prematurely...

You're right, and the re-check (which mine was, having been before) is only £90.

The SportCross looks great in white. Can't be too many of those about. :)

I've seen very few white ISs, and none a SportCross - generally this model IS pre-dates the current trend for white cars. I confess that when I bought it, I was not keen and expecting it to be a right bugegr to keep clean, but in actualy fact it looks great and is an awful lot less hassle to keep looking OK than the black MG Metro I once owmed.

Anyone similar in Staffordshire? It's a bit far to go then spend over £100 as far as I'm concerned.

MK isn't that far down the M1!

Tony doesn't use the standard Lexus settings, as they have been proven to lead to uneven tyre wear. The WIM set up is therefore unique, and has been applied to many hundreds of cars with good results.

Anyone similar in Staffordshire? It's a bit far to go then spend over £100 as far as I'm concerned.

MK isn't that far down the M1!

Tony doesn't use the standard Lexus settings, as they have been proven to lead to uneven tyre wear. The WIM set up is therefore unique, and has been applied to many hundreds of cars with good results.

I'd heard they use their own settings. I guess they take into account that the suspension arms move when the car moves? This seems to be the cause of the problem.

It's not that far I know, I used to head down there a lot to ABB robotics. Was just hoping there'd be somewhere closer. May be worth a trip some time when I've actually got that money spare.

From what I understand talking to the guys, Lexus designed a chassis to be taut and handle well, but overlooked the geometry, leaving it with good handling and comfort, but at the expense of tyre wear. Tony completely rewrote the geo settings, leaving it with sharper, more focused handling, increased grip without sacrificing comfort, and prolonging tyre wear.

Can't go wrong with that!

Mine really wasn't far out, just a few degree's of adjustment on a few points, so I won't get the full "feel" benefit that others might, but already I can tell it feels that little bit more "flat" when driving, and the tiny degree of pull to the left I had is completely gone, with the wheel centre being completely centred. No change in comfort; it's not harder or stiffer; rides just as it did before, but feels that little bit more taut and true.

More importantly, if it means I don't need to change my tyres prematurely, I'll be extremely happy!

This thread has been very informative guys thanks.

When I had my cambelt changed at Lexus I asked them why my front tyres were wearing quicker on the inside and all they told me was it must be my style of driving and the way I take corners! Playing dumb I guess cos I bet they know their geometry set up us wrong but don't tell us customers that.

A trip to Milton Keynes is gonna be coming up then. I'm lucky my cousin lives there so I can stay with him.... No more changing tyres prematurely for me! Happy days! :)

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone else who is thinking about making a trip to WIM (or who thinks it's too far to go, or not worth it), DO IT! I recently made the journey to MK from the north of Scotland. Well worth the time and money.

I bought my 2003 IS300 Sportcross just over a year ago. One owner, immaculately looked after, fsh and all that. It drives well, and the tyres were good, but I noticed in the sheaf of invoices that the front tyres had been replaced a lot more often than seemed normal. Then I found the LOC, this forum, and Tony Bones....

I happen to live near Inverness, so initially contacted Tony to ask if he could let me have the new/correct geometry settings so that it could be done locally. He kindly explained it all over the phone. But then as I happened to have other reasons for making a trip to London a month or two ago, I decided to add in a stop at WIM Milton Keynes and have the settings done by the guys who know. 45 minutes on the machine, some gentle tweaking and the geometry is sorted.

So now I join the many LOC members (and WIM clients) who can look forward to 'normal' front tyre wear and a car that handles as it should.

When we have experts who take the time to troubleshoot problems, figure out answers, and provide great service, then we should support them and use them!

Sorry about that :shutit:

Anyone have the full address of this workshop in Milton Keynes ?

I'm puzzled too: not sure what Pete is apologising for.....

Anyhow, the full address of Wheels In Motion is Unit 9, Northfield Drive, Milton Keynes MK15 0DQ.... tel 01908 768272. They are linked with Atomic Wheels, which is the logo on the building.

Sorry about that :shutit:

Anyone have the full address of this workshop in Milton Keynes ?

I'm puzzled too: not sure what Pete is apologising for.....

Anyhow, the full address of Wheels In Motion is Unit 9, Northfield Drive, Milton Keynes MK15 0DQ.... tel 01908 768272. They are linked with Atomic Wheels, which is the logo on the building.

Sorry again... :unsure: ...was apologist to Matt about early question (re-edit) :oops:

Thanks for the address Brian :zee:

We recently entered into a "trial" collaboration sharing some excellent workspace and facilities and prospects with a new Wheel Refurbishment Company in Milton Keynes. Unfortunately and due to circumstances beyond our control we have decided to withdraw from this operation as there was a potential for a "conflict of interests" and we did not want to do anything that would jeopardise our good name and integrity. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause but we are acting in the best interests of our company/companies.

my first choice would be white for the IS, suites the car great. Ive always wanted a IS. I had a chance to buy one in white at a good price with the spec i wanted about 2 years ago, but insurance was to high back then, anyway i like silver too and thats what i have, maybe i could of waited for one to pop up, but couldnt resist getting my hands on a IS once i hit 25 hehe :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links