Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Uh Oh! Is That Why He Sold It?

The-Acre

I hope I'm wrong about this but I've got a bad feeling. The car I've just bought is great but...I noticed 2 days ago that when I turned the key it hesitated, it happened again the next day. This morning (it was a lot colder) I turned the key and "click" After about 4 attempts it turned OK.

My first thoughts are that it was sold because it has a starter motor problem, which as we all know is bad news.

A couple of questions. How can I make sure it's the starter, and how many hundreds of pounds will I be looking at? I'm not too concerned because you take your chance with a used car, and if it's the only thing for some time then fair enough.

Scribe, if you read this can you text me your mechanics number? 07808 061663

Thanks

Phil

Worst senario is the starter motor contacts and plunger but just after I repaired mine it decided not to start and it was due to the fact I hadn't fully tightened the Battery connections, nipped them up and been fine for years now.

There is a diagnostic proceedure but it means diving into the wiring loom, locating the relays etc and it is not forced to show up when you want it to.

Another thing I found that when the car was warm it always started fine.

I hear the later engine is an easier job as the plenum/inlet manifold comes off in one piece but still a major project.

If I remember correctly you bought the 38,000 miler which could mean lots of stop start short journeys.

Worst senario is the starter motor contacts and plunger but just after I repaired mine it decided not to start and it was due to the fact I hadn't fully tightened the battery connections, nipped them up and been fine for years now.

There is a diagnostic proceedure but it means diving into the wiring loom, locating the relays etc and it is not forced to show up when you want it to.

Another thing I found that when the car was warm it always started fine.

I hear the later engine is an easier job as the plenum/inlet manifold comes off in one piece but still a major project.

If I remember correctly you bought the 38,000 miler which could mean lots of stop start short journeys.

Hi Steve, mine is on 94k so I suppose it's about average. It's not a job I want to tackle myself simply because I'm so busy with work. Any idea how much I'll be looking at? Would it be best to get a new starter motor? They seem to be quite reasonable from the States, or is it a safe thing to replace parts in the old one as you did?

Phil

I had similar problem on my GS430 a year or so ago. An auto electrician advised me to loosen the connector on the Battery terminal and put a small panel pin into the ring and retighten it. Once I inserted pin it tightened much better and it's been perfect since.

I had similar problem on my GS430 a year or so ago. An auto electrician advised me to loosen the connector on the battery terminal and put a small panel pin into the ring and retighten it. Once I inserted pin it tightened much better and it's been perfect since.

Now a panel pin I can afford!

I think in the morning I'll give the terminals a tweak, just in case. I suppose I have to try all the obvious things like that before parting with lots of money.

Thanks.

Phil

Took the car to the garage this morning at 8.30 and picked it up at 6.00pm, all sorted. £13 for starter motor parts and....just a little more for the labour!

A big thanks again to Scribe for the contact, an excellent little garage in Hove (near Brighton) only 9 miles away. The info found on this forum is priceless sometimes, where esle would you get it?

Phil

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links