Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

In the light of the current security issues focussed around BMW, how secure are Lexus owners?

Apparently a $30 electronic box is able to capture the signals from BMWs and transfer to a blank key, allowing thieves to drive away the vehicle in minutes.

See http://www.theregist...car_theft_hack/

The article also mentions Toyotas as vulnerable, and I assume by association, Lexus as well.

Have there been any reports of Lexus vehicles being appropriated using this method?

The BMW problem is apparently on BBC Watchdog this evening, I'll see if it mentions other makes.

What makes me smile is BMW's response in that only cars built before 2011 are affected, not many of those around then!!!

Mines OBDI so unless I find a paperclip nearby I won't worry.

Regarding security the new touch scan credit cards are said to be easily hacked with £30.00 worth of fleabay electronics!!!

I'll have to buy another mattress soon as this one is getting too full of banknotes!

The BMW problem is apparently on BBC Watchdog this evening, I'll see if it mentions other makes.

Regarding security the new touch scan credit cards are said to be easily hacked with £30.00 worth of fleabay electronics!!!

I'll have to buy another mattress soon as this one is getting too full of banknotes!

I'm aware of the credit card issue and have just ordered an RFID wallet that screens the chips from any electronics.

I'm in the market for a new mattress - yours sounds perfect. :shifty:

Well, they need to be in close proximity to gain enough info from the key and then gain access the the port within the car at a later time.

As the port is physically re-routable, it could be time to move the port elsewhere behind the dash - even in the boot. It not being physically where they expected is going to slow down the job while they look for it. Even changing the connector and making your own adapter would be a start.

Does that mean that they have to be in proximity while you are actually opening/closing the door, or is it just a case of them walking behind their target (who has the key/fob) for a minute or so?

I don't pretend to understand the concept behind the keyless entry, but how does moving the port make that much difference?

Do they then have to pin-point the actual location,or is it just a case of walking around the car?

I'd love to get a better understanding of this.

Geoffers - do you feel like writing a few lines on the subject, or is there already something comprehensive within the forum somewhere?

I'm not entirely convinced they only need to be near the key with Lexus as they need to be there during a transaction to get enough information from the key. They can actually interrogate the key anywhere near you but it would only start a negotiation handshake - there isn't enough information to get any part of the encryption codeset.

It's very easy to get the info though parked next to a lex in car parks - supermarkets, cinemas, etc. If they wanted your car badly enough simply leaving a unit hidden near your premesis, in bushes, etc. that stores any data. Some of the legitimate data diagostic devices are put to use by criminals unfortunately.That's the key side of things. In saying that, there could be some poor part of the encryption sysytem that forces it to give out information we don't know about yet!

Relocating the port and changing the connector is only a delay tactic really but hopefully enough to make them give up. We all know where the port is and so do the thieves. If, say for instance I moved my port into the boot and changed its connector, firstly the thieves would break into my car expecting it to be in its normal place. (Alarm hopefully sounding) Then they look for the port to plug the equipment in. Not in its usual place so they have to look in they glove compartment, feeling up behind dash, in the footwell, behind the ECU's - they've not even got to the boot yet. If/when they eventually do they can't plug their system in because I've changed the plug and simply made myself a little adapter! Are they now going to spend more time cutting back the wires to join onto their coms unit? (they'll have to break into their connector to to join the wires) Assuming of course they actually find the connector in the first place if its well hidden.

Could be a simple solution to a problem. Can't do any harm anyway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links