Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need Help Buying A Used Is220D

Hello everyone, I'm currently in the market for a used diesel saloon, was originally going to opt for a BMW 320D, but I realised every tom, ***** and harry has one, so I've now started looking at the IS220D.

I have a few queries, so i thought I'd ask the owners as you guys would have better knowledge and understanding of the car. Now, I've noticed two different models, SE and SE-L, I cant tell the difference between the two because they seem to look identical! so i would appreciate if someone could differentiate the two.

Also, I'm after a vehicle equipped with nav & parking camera. Anyone know if they come under the multimedia package?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions

Thank you

Newaz

Hello everyone, I'm currently in the market for a used diesel saloon, was originally going to opt for a BMW 320D, but I realised every tom, ***** and harry has one, so I've now started looking at the IS220D.

I have a few queries, so i thought I'd ask the owners as you guys would have better knowledge and understanding of the car. Now, I've noticed two different models, SE and SE-L, I cant tell the difference between the two because they seem to look identical! so i would appreciate if someone could differentiate the two.

Also, I'm after a vehicle equipped with nav & parking camera. Anyone know if they come under the multimedia package?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions

Thank you

Newaz

I have just sold my IS220d and that was an SE-L Multimedia, the multimedia gives the SatNav, reversing camera, park assist etc. The difference between the SE and the SE-L is purely in the spec, the SE-L tends to have all the bells and whistles such as rear blind, illuminated scuff plates etc. etc. I used to have a list of each of the specs, if i can find it I will let you have it.

Having the SE-L doesn't mean that it has the multimedia and having the SE doesn't mean that you don't get the multimedia. it all depends on how the original buyer had their options set up. So you can have an SE with MM and an SE-L without it.

There are also SE-I and SR models and each of these can come with differing options. I've mentioned in other threads, if you want the best of the options you need to go with the SE-L multimedia package.

The best bet is to read the spec as you browse through the cars for sale sites such as Autotrader, Pistonheads, eBay etc.

As I say, mine was the SE-L MM version and i wouldn't settle for less now. I've just replaced my 220d with a 250SE-L

Good hunting

You must also check out the specification physically, rather than just relying on the online description.

I had many issues when I first viewed my current vehicle.

The spec. sheet gave the car as having daylight running lights, headlight washers and a couple of others. None of these things were on the car when I viewed it.

Some things are obvious, but others you might miss until the deal is done, so be rigorous in your inspection.

You must also check out the specification physically, rather than just relying on the online description.

I had many issues when I first viewed my current vehicle.

The spec. sheet gave the car as having daylight running lights, headlight washers and a couple of others. None of these things were on the car when I viewed it.

Some things are obvious, but others you might miss until the deal is done, so be rigorous in your inspection.

Yes, do not rely on descriptions in Autotrader and the like they are nearly always generic downloads are NOT reliable for accuracy. Question the owner first, especially if you are making a bit of a journey to see it!!

You have not elaborated too much on your first enquiry. What i would ask of you is...are you doing a lot of miles or is this for just short journeys? Do you have a target year of manufacture in your budget?

My budget is under 9k, with under 60k miles. I do about 10k miles a year. Not too bothered with the year, unless there was an unreliable batch of engines produced a certain year. The only downside I have with the car, well from what I have read anyway is that the gear ratios seem rather tall?

I haven't approached the dealer for a test drive yet, because I'd rather do some research on the vehicle rather than look like a tyre kicker.

Forgot to mention:-

Test drive as many as you can.

You need to feel how the gear box changes are for you. They can be quite 'notchy' on second to third, some have said first to second as well.

Be a little wary of the 'sport' version. They can be a tad quicker off the mark but it is at the expense of economy. The gear box has slightly different ratios. I have 2 friends who have had them and got nowhere near the mpg that I did.

Take one out on a motorway, experience for yourself that 6th gear is pretty much useless...unless doing 90mph...which you shouldn't really be doing on our motorways! It is not a problem, 5th will do just fine. Just be aware.

Familiarise yourself with the buttons on the steering wheel. Note 'DISP', press it until you get the tank average displayed. Note what the reading is. Hold the button down until it zeros itself. Now see what mpg you get. Don't get all excited when it shows 65mpg, allow it to stabilise over some miles. You should be in the region of 37-40 around town and 44-54 on a run.

Any car you look at needs to have FLSH and stamped up service book too.

Ask if it has had any Head Gasket work. Be blunt about it. Read the posts here regarding Head Gasket, so you understand a bit more about it.

If you get one learn about cleaning the EGR valve... its easy there is lots here telling how to do it as well as Youtube vids to see too.

How easily does the car pull away from stopped. Is it strugling a bit and sluggish until its up and moving, say, over 35mph? This could well be the EGR a bit sooted up.

Listen to the turbo..if it squeals or screams.... forget it and walk away.

Does it sound like a good engine at tick over and at speed? Listen to a few and you'll understand what I'm saying. Some are normal diesel sounding..some are just dire. But you could probably apply that to any diesel engine, in all fairness.

Take a look at the oil filller cap and the coolant water header tank. Look for any tell tale signs of oily emulsion like material.

If any thing else comes to mind I'll edit this post. By the way, I'd agree with the comments above mine too.

My budget is under 9k, with under 60k miles. I do about 10k miles a year. Not too bothered with the year, unless there was an unreliable batch of engines produced a certain year. The only downside I have with the car, well from what I have read anyway is that the gear ratios seem rather tall?

I haven't approached the dealer for a test drive yet, because I'd rather do some research on the vehicle rather than look like a tyre kicker.

Just get out there and test drive... as many as you can. To hell with looking like a tyre kicker.

They want to sell..you are a purchaser...exercise your right.

Test drive a is250 auto, (petrol) as well. At 10,000 miles PA you should check it out at the very least.

Wont lie, haven't even considered the 250. I intend on keeping the car atleast 5 years or so. So I don't think the long term costs will be worth it. Plus, I just like the instant torque delivery of diesel's. Thanks for the advice guys, guess ill pop by the lexus dealer in guildford sometime next week.

normski2, could you zero the tank average on your 220d? I was under the impression that you couldn't do that, that it only reset itself at fill up time. Or did you intend to say check what the tank average reading was and then go back to the 'average mpg' screen and zero that? I must admit to not having tried to zero mine as I thought I'd read that it wasn't possible.

It is horses for courses but for that mileage I'd agree with the two posts above and have a good look at the IS250 auto. The transmission is a dream and no worries about EGR's - I'm not inclined to buy a Lexus and then have to learn how to keep it running nicely. Unless you want to be a part time mechanic of course, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I've read so many posts over the last few years since I bought my 250 from owners of the 220 that are less than happy, I think if I were set on a diesel I'd look at a different manufacturer.

As they say, do your own research, and let us know what you decide.

normski2, could you zero the tank average on your 220d? I was under the impression that you couldn't do that, that it only reset itself at fill up time. Or did you intend to say check what the tank average reading was and then go back to the 'average mpg' screen and zero that? I must admit to not having tried to zero mine as I thought I'd read that it wasn't possible.

Yes quite right Geoff. You are spot on in what you say. I'd said it from memory... clearly this one lost its bearing a wee bit! I haven't done it for some time as I've just been enjoying the 250 so much. Tend to have the indicated gear screen showing as I'm interested to see how she operates...most times you can hardly tell she changed gear... it really is that smooth.

Ladiesman, dare I say then, take a look at the Audi A4 & A6 range. They are a bit pricey on the second hand market but the diesel engine is very good in those vehicles. Know what you mean though, there are an awful lot around. Personally, I would be wary of the 220D, unless I knew a great deal about that particular vehicle I was looking at.

You don't have to go all out for the quattro, the models below are just as nice.

Understand where you come from saying the 320D. I demo'd quite a few myself, just be prepared for a very bland interior. I found them so uninspiring to sit at the wheel and look at such a boring dash layout. At least the sat nav version had a second bump!!

Having experienced IS220d ownership (well not strictly ownership it was a company car) from the other side of a desk, my colleague had one, and having driving it on the odd occasion, i'd be loathed to ever get one.

It had heavy oil consumption and relative poor economy, he only got 35-37 despite a 100mile steady daily motorway commute, and when it was having its engine rebuilt to investigate the oil consumption issue, an loaner IS250 didn't do much worse. On top of that the Diesel was very noisy, compared to others in the segment, which is particularly ironic given Lexus super smooth and refined reputation.

Only my thoughts but the IS250 would be where i'd spend my money, definitely if I was only doing 10K a year.

I've not long gone for a is220d over a 320/330/530D, had lots of a6's before.

I've averaged about 42mpg since owning the car, no issues in 1500miles so far. On the motorway I seem to get about 43-47mpg. Much quieter inside than any of the above, better on fuel than the 330/530D's too. Lots of toys and an amazing stereo, for the money you couldn't get better IMO.

I do 20k a year so it had to be a derv for me. I got mine from a main dealer that was cheaper than some private ones. 2 year warranty so nothing to worry about either :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links