Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Replacement In 1999 Ls

Going to replace my Battery tomorrow -is there anything I should do before hand?

I have not security codes for the satnav/computer etc so not sure If I can just swop new with old. I appreciate that I'll loose seat memory etc and possibly ECU settings but I can live with that.

Hi Keith

If the code as been set for your car and you disconnect the Battery it will disable the satnav and audio functions until it is reset.

There is a thread on our own club site that gives instructions on that.

Put in the search box;LS400 1998 with Satnav-unlocking code started by lexuslexus Aug 02 2008.

Under no circumstances try to change a Battery with the engine running if you get the sequence of poles wrong you will cause unimaginable damage to the electrical system.

Changed battery (with engine off) - piece of cake, no problems with anything did not even loose seat memory.

Seems to run much smoother now.

Hi Kieth

I had the same experience when I drove my 98 from England to Scotland. The car was fine at motorway speeds but on tickover it was as rough as a Bears A~~~ ,turned out the Battery was completly dubbed.The electrical system for the engine will take its primary power from the Battery and if there is insufficient amperege in the Battery it will not service the engine requirements efficiently, when the Battery is failing basically the alternator is running the car which is not a good thing This is the time of year that batteries fail most when they are asked to perform and are at the end of their life,they literally have a heart attack.

So everyone should check the state of their Battery before it lets you down.There is a tool at some quality workshops that will give a reliable reading of the Battery state .Tell tale signs are interior light brightens and dims on increased engine revs .

A simple test can be carried out at home just run the Battery right down ,take it off the car and connect it too an old headlight from the scrapyard, then charge it up on a normal Battery charger if it takes the charge well and charges up at a good rate then stays charged up it is in good shape ,if it loses the charge or takes a long time charging it is on its way out.

Changed battery (with engine off) - piece of cake, no problems with anything did not even loose seat memory.

Seems to run much smoother now.

Hi Kieth

I had the same experience when I drove my 98 from England to Scotland. The car was fine at motorway speeds but on tickover it was as rough as a Bears A~~~ ,turned out the Battery was completly dubbed.The electrical system for the engine will take its primary power from the Battery and if there is insufficient amperege in the Battery it will not service the engine requirements efficiently, when the Battery is failing basically the alternator is running the car which is not a good thing This is the time of year that batteries fail most when they are asked to perform and are at the end of their life,they literally have a heart attack.

So everyone should check the state of their Battery before it lets you down.There is a tool at some quality workshops that will give a reliable reading of the Battery state .Tell tale signs are interior light brightens and dims on increased engine revs .

A simple test can be carried out at home just run the Battery right down ,take it off the car and connect it too an old headlight from the scrapyard, then charge it up on a normal Battery charger if it takes the charge well and charges up at a good rate then stays charged up it is in good shape ,if it loses the charge or takes a long time charging it is on its way out.

cant really see someone doing that simple Battery test you mention to be honest? unless I have read it wrong??

I changed my Battery last week, £103 from Halfords, 4yr guarantee, maybe i was ripped off? but I needed it at the time as tthe car was running like a bag of cak. Changed it over with not giving any thought to the ECU etc, but no probs, was a quick change & all is ok now. My only hassle out of it all was taking the car to kwik fit last month, they told me nothing was wrong with the Battery, the Battery was totally done, .......moral = Never go to Kwik fit,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links