Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450H Vs Rx400H

I recently had an RX450h for a week after someone drove into my car in my client's office car park. I was expecting to find the RX450h better in lots of small ways but oddly found that my RX400h seems better in some ways. There were a few missed opportunities on the RX450h design too like the omission of he driving mode dial used on the CT200h. Here's what I thought in case anyone is contemplating the move up from 400 to 450. I'm not so keen now. Will probably keep my 400 longer.

Against RX450h

Styling boring (but smart) compared with RX400h.

Slower!

Quieter, which is kind of nice but I like the sound of the RX400 when pushed hard.

Eco mode on/off fiddly on steering wheel button. Why wasn’t CT200h style dial used?

Prefer RX400h touch screen over new mouse style navigation.

No audio display if audio not selected on touch screen.

Passenger temp buttons hard to find because of swept dashboard styling.

Display changing on set cruise control is a pain.

Is there a folder up/down button for MP3s?

No wired aux in?

No sunroof

For RX450h

Pool lights

Keyless entry and smart start

Auto fold in/out wing mirrors

Seat moving in/out on seat belt/start

Quieter

Smoother

LED interior lights

Reversing sensors with camera

3d sat nav view nice

Bluetooth connection for MP3s

Slightly better economy (30ish vs 28ish)

Bigger boot

Single rear mat covers centre of floor

Bottle holders in front door pockets

I recently had an RX450h for a week after someone drove into my car in my client's office car park. I was expecting to find the RX450h better in lots of small ways but oddly found that my RX400h seems better in some ways. There were a few missed opportunities on the RX450h design too like the omission of he driving mode dial used on the CT200h. Here's what I thought in case anyone is contemplating the move up from 400 to 450. I'm not so keen now. Will probably keep my 400 longer.

Against RX450h

Styling boring (but smart) compared with RX400h.

Slower!

Quieter, which is kind of nice but I like the sound of the RX400 when pushed hard.

Eco mode on/off fiddly on steering wheel button. Why wasn’t CT200h style dial used?

Prefer RX400h touch screen over new mouse style navigation.

No audio display if audio not selected on touch screen.

Passenger temp buttons hard to find because of swept dashboard styling.

Display changing on set cruise control is a pain.

Is there a folder up/down button for MP3s?

No wired aux in?

No sunroof

For RX450h

Pool lights

Keyless entry and smart start

Auto fold in/out wing mirrors

Seat moving in/out on seat belt/start

Quieter

Smoother

LED interior lights

Reversing sensors with camera

3d sat nav view nice

Bluetooth connection for MP3s

Slightly better economy (30ish vs 28ish)

Bigger boot

Single rear mat covers centre of floor

Bottle holders in front door pockets

Perhaps concentrating on Facts and not simply expressing opinions could be more fruitful.

1. The Rx450h does,of course, have a sunroof. It actually has a choice of two types. You just have to choose the model and/or option.

2. The RX450h also offers ACC

3. The RX450h also offers PCS (which has given me an Insurance reduction).

4. The RX450h also offers HUD, which is one of the most relaxing and useful features I have found.

5. The Rx450h is considerably more economical in certain road conditions and never less than 10% better.

6. Measured on a Race Logic data logger, both versions gave 7.2 for 0-60. The 450h does it with such aplomb that it seems slower.

7. There is a rocker switch just in front of the joystick for selecting files or scaling the sat nav map.

8. The rear seats in the RX450h both slide and recline.

9. The spare wheel is inboard so does not become a heaving filthy mess and cannot be thieved with a pair of bolt cutters.

10.The RX450h uses an Atkinson cycle engine and allows for much lower CO2 emmissions, which offers a much reduced VED.

I could go on but those are SOME of the facts and not my opinions.

I never drove the rx 400h but I bought two months ago a 450h premier and i must say that I am very pleased with this car, I really love it. I used to have performance cars (BMW and more recently Porsche) and I can see the philosophy of driving a Lexus hybrid. Driving in eco mode is a pleasure. Of course it is not as powerful as a Porsche or BMW but that is not its purpose

The RX450 also lacks rear wash/wipe although it would be interesting to know if it is needed. It certainly is on the RX400.

The RX450 DOES have rear wash/wipe. Certainly mine did!

The RX450 also lacks rear wash/wipe although it would be interesting to know if it is needed. It certainly is on the RX400.

Hi Duncan, Where did you get that one from? The RX450h does have rear wash/wipe

What 450h have you got? I think you should take it back and get a refund?

I never drove the rx 400h but I bought two months ago a 450h premier and i must say that I am very pleased with this car, I really love it. I used to have performance cars (BMW and more recently Porsche) and I can see the philosophy of driving a Lexus antage hybrid. Driving in eco mode is a pleasure. Of course it is not as powerful as a Porsche or BMW but that is not its purpose

You are so right.

It is ALWAYS the RX that vanishes off our drive and much more exotic machinery is simply left to rot!

The hydrid system and particularly the HUD in the Premier makes it just so delightfully easy to drive. I certainly do not miss my Bentley GTs one little bit. And I am being truly serious.

• Like 1

Hi Duncan, Where did you get that one from? The RX450h does have rear wash/wipe

What 450h have you got? I think you should take it back and get a refund?

I was actually looking at one in a Lexus showroom. However this is not listed in the present brochure and looking at the photographs on the web site it cannot be seen, certainly not at the bottom. Is it at the top (on yours) or has there been a spec. change?

Take a look at this web site picture

http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/rx/rx-450h/index.tmex?ac=C3257&mc=SEM&WT.adsite=Google&WT.srch=1&ac&mc&WT.srch_ms=mkwid_sHxRaCBr5_pcrid_17059796474_plid__kword_lexus%20rx450h_match_e&gclid=CJbIkqDZ07MCFSHHtAodBi8Anw

there is no obvious sign of one on this version.

Happy with my 400h. I just did a 300 mile foggy trip from Surrey Hills/Hog's Back to Snape/Aldeburgh - Round trip 300 miles via blocked Dartford Tunnel/A3 Guildford and took

5 hours and 45 min, 70/80+'s at times and i see my mileage is 32.2 mpg on regular unleaded @52+ mph average. I also have quite a bit of petrol left in the tank.

Sat Nav warned me of traffic blocks well in advance and Audrey Hepburn or whoever was offering guidance did not intrude. Happy with my first longish run in a 55 SE- L model

with full service history. Shame the 450h Head up display isn't a retro fit.....

Happy with my 400h. I just did a 300 mile foggy trip from Surrey Hills/Hog's Back to Snape/Aldeburgh - Round trip 300 miles via blocked Dartford Tunnel/A3 Guildford and took

5 hours and 45 min, 70/80+'s at times and i see my mileage is 32.2 mpg on regular unleaded @52+ mph average. I also have quite a bit of petrol left in the tank.

Sat Nav warned me of traffic blocks well in advance and Audrey Hepburn or whoever was offering guidance did not intrude. Happy with my first longish run in a 55 SE- L model

with full service history. Shame the 450h Head up display isn't a retro fit.....

That sounds pretty good to me and not untypical of a large hybrid. Your average speed speaks for itself.

When I took our diesel Discovery on a run up to the Lake District we averaged 26 and it perfomred like a lump of lard!

By the way, if you're tired of Audrey Hepburn, I'll have her in my dashboard anytime---just say the word (I am right on your doorstep and I have a spanner!)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links