Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coolant Leak?

hi all

is it normal to have coolant they? (i have attached the pic to the topic)

CAM00137.jpg

well i only topup every 3 to 4 months with about less than half a cup of pink coolant

does it mean i need a new waterpump?

hope you guru's can help

thanks

Ive got stuff like that around my water pump and my water pump needs replacing. It is making a noise at idle and if i touch it with a screw driver i can feel its rough. If your is running smooth i wouldnt bother unless your cambelt is due a replacement, makes sense just to slap a new pump on. they dont cost much.

I dont know if i should just wait until i get the timing belt done on mine. Problem is its not due till end of next year will my pump last that long do you think? what will happen if it fails all together?

EDIT: just realised its not driven by timing belt! DO'H :iraqi-info-minister:

I nmy eyes a top up on the IS coolant bottle is kind of normal every few months...

It is an open system hence it will loose some droplets of coolant now and then.

No coolant system is "open " otherwise it wouldnt be able to be pressurized and therefore lower the boiling point of the coolant, system is sealed by the spring in the radiator cap, when the pressure reaches the stated amount the cap opens a port that allows heated and expanded coolant into the expansion tank on the rear of the radiator, when the coolant cools down it contracts back into the radiator, loosing any coolant over time indicates a problem of some sort and is not I'm afraid normal.

Hi that's not the water pump leaking its the bypass leaking if you take the two bolts out just above the leak there is a small connector piece with two o rings just replace the two o rings

hi mate where can i buy these bypass rings? thanks

As Clifton 94 suggests if you remove the 2 silver bolts you can see in the picture and the black bolt holding the timing cover the piece will lift out, bear in mind there will be coolant present so it may be wise to drain it first.

Once you have the assembly off you will see a small pipe inserted into the housing, this is the Water Bypass pipe No.1 (Part number 16268-70031).

Pull this out of the housing.

Fitted to each end is a rubber O ring you will need to replace these with part number 90301-17016 (O ring water bypass pipe).

There is also a sealing gasket for the housing where it fits onto the block with the 2 silver bolts which should also be replaced Part no. 16347-70021 Gasket Water By Pass.

Wash off the pink crud before reassembly then you will know if all is well once the job is done.

For under £20.00 you should be able to buy the little pipe, 2 O rings and the sealing gasket, the pipe will probably be OK but you may as well replace it all for what it costs.

Apply a little washing up liquid to the new O rings before refitting to help them slide into place without damage.

Don't forget to refill the cooling system afterwards.

Order the parts from your local Lexus dealer, chances are they will have to get them in so if it's a long drive telephone the order through then collect on delivery or if you contact LOC member ACLex he will do mail order for you.

• 8 months later...

Its an old post, but don't want to start another one with similar problem.. I have bigger leak of coolant. It starts when I have topped up coolant to MAX. Today I could clearly see red marks all over the water pump... Few Pictures and red rings showing affected areas. Anyone have idea what is it? Is just a seal or something more serious?

Thansk

Pictures:

ldtv.jpg
wmyx.jpg
2w0k.jpg
00xk.jpg
cxmr.jpg
What Do You think?

Im pretty sure thats where your weep hole is located, i would check my old water pump but just gave it to the scrap metal guys yesterday lol but yeah if its weeping it means it needs replacing sometime soon. weird though because from looking at the picture looks like its a fairly new pump, its deffo not the original. Mine was ALOT worse than that before i got round to replacing it, leaking from the gasket also and had spots in similar areas mainly from weep hole though and noisy as hell, so i wouldnt worry too much unless its loud and your loosing alot of coolant which it doesnt look like you are.

Thanks for that. It doesnt loose a lot of it, about 5 mm on the scale on 60 miles trip, so not too bad. I am going to change cambelt next week so i will replace pump as well, been quoted 320 for both, cambelt and tentioner and water pump. Not bad at all i think.

Regards

Yeah thats a good price. Make sure that includeds both tentioners tho cus there the pricy bits. Looks like youve already got newish auxs so can re use them maybe

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links