Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

501 Led Sidelight Bulbs

rigga955

I bought these for my main beam and I'm very happy with them.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f0bc899c3

Much brighter than stock bulbs and the colour output compliments the factory HIDs quite well. They supposedly put out 130w worth of light and I can quite believe it. Been in my car over a year and no issues with overheating etc.

In my sidelights, I believe it's these that I have.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item335434dc8f

The light they give out is quite blue-ish but I think they look good.

My CREE Q5 side lights were about 15quid, thats actually good for CREE. bit annoyed tho because there the projector type and i found out the IS bulb holders point outwards, not forward. anyway back to the subject, ive received dud LEDs many times from cheap Chinese sellers, they tend to send replacements no quibbles. but one time one didnt work and I pulled it apart and found there was too much glue and stopping the current, had to pull it off, worked then.

I'm not really up on my chemistry, but as I understand it halogen, xenon, krypton, argon, etc, are all gases that work inside filament bulbs. A filament bulb can have any, or all, of these gases. But a filament bulb is an "instantly on" bulb (ie, you flick the switch and it's on, at full brightness) whereas a HID, or "true xenon" flickers and has to warm up when switched on.

But yeah, you'll not get a halogen as good as a HID bulb, but HID's really aren't that good to use in main beam, unless you have the switchable high/low bulbs, as HID's don't respond well to flashing and sporadic on/off as you'd normally use with main beams. So I'm just after a whiter/better colour match, but always looking for a little improvement too, if poss!

I noticed factory HIDs do come on instantly, but we bought very cheap kits so could be the reason. but i also read that cars such as the new range rover has halogen bulbs JUST for flashing function, then BI-xenon for high and low beams. so i guess not instantly enough.

Right update from the seller, UK based by the way as it was a case of next day delivery which was nice for a change, and although they are suprised to to find there might be an issue with both of the bulbs they sent out, they will be sending a further set out to me and testing those themselves before dispatch, unless I have a freaky car that dislikes led's these replacements should be ok.

I have those sidelights, one lasted a month or so, t'other gave up this week, cheap tat lol, I shall be replacing when I can be bothered (for mot) but I'll get better ones next time

Not tested them and the seller stated these replacement ones would be tested before posting to me, my sidelight sockets are fine as my normal bulbs work ok, remove those and fit the led's and nothing refit the normal 501 bulbs and again fine.

Ill take them to work and try to rig a test rig up as trains i work on are 24v so ill isolate a few cells to get the desired 12v operating range .

WelI its solved and all working and I'm a bit of a numpty but I'll confess if its to help others .......

Tested the bulbs at work on some 12v Battery cells ....at first when connecting the crockodile clips the lights didnt work then i noticed the metal contacts on the bulbs sat in a thin grove on the plastic body of the bulb, preventing the clip from touching the metal thus making a circuit, the standard glass bulbs are flat at this point so no problems with the bulb holders on the car contacting the bulbs ...... I bent the prongs on the bulbs sideways a bit to clear the groove and now a circuit can be made and they light up fine ...

As i said, a numpty moment

wooops this has happened to me so i should of suggested it! sorry. they tend to bend and sit snug in there! In fact I recently bought some number plate LED bulbs and the first pair i bought had that stupid plastic surround and they would not fit in the housing. had to buy a 2nd pair with the bair type.

Good that you are now sorted, and an added bonus that you have two spare led bulbs now as well :)

Well yea i do .....but also have now ordered and fitted some different LED sidelights with 5 smd panels each,and some 13 smd panel interior festoon bulbs,ive got bulbs coming out of my ears now and funnily enough they all work and have lots of spares in the boot,still impressed with the Xenon gas filled dipped beam bulbs too,great improvment over the standard bulbs.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links