Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hooking Up Iphone To Sound System

Suxelis

Hi there,

I'm looking at the easiest solution to getting music to play through the sound system.

I've come across this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iDeck-Intergrated-Car-Cassette-Tape-Adapter-iPod-Certified-Made-iPod-/221148342478?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item337d77e8ce

And was wondering if anyone has had any experience of using this in the IS200, in terms of sound quality, practicality and value for money?

Thanks!

Get your self a Grom kit IMO mate, had one before i swapped head units and it works a treat, if you connet your Iphone to it you get music, tomtom voices and take phone calls through the car speakers.

But TomTom, phone calls, etc would still come through the speakers if plugged into this casette right?

Only thing I'm weary about is how to fit the Grom kit, I've had a look around and there's not really much guidance on here so I'm afraid I might mess it up...!

Yeah, go with the Grom for ease of installation. It's easy to fit, and you'll get plenty of help on here.

I'd guess you've not searched very well, as there's plenty of info on how to fit them etc.

Grom audio it's come with instruction and the sound is great and u get to keep ur oem stereo and also charging ur iPhone too. , even on iPhone 5!

Does this mean the power is drawn from the radio itself?

If u was talking bout charging , yes the power come frm the stereo , all u hav to do its just plug ur grom cable on the bk of the stereo and find the suitable place to put grom unit , basically just plug and play that how easy that is. Do sum research first before taking out stereo apart.

Radio comes it with 4x 10mm bolts. Grom plugs in using 1x plug. Radio goes back in 1ith 4x 10mm bolts. Done.

You don't need to open anything up or take anything apart - you just take out the 4 bolts, pull the radio forward, plug the cable in, and put it back.

(PS, the space between the top of the heater controls (they are attached to the radio and come out with it) and under the air vents is the perfect size for the actual grom unit. So you just plug it in, put the radio back in place, put the Grom on top of it, and leave it there. It's perfectly sized to stop is sliding around and moving)

Update: Having done some reading up on this, apparently the Grom system won't work with the older bottom loader CD head unit that has disks stuck inside with the infamous Err3... Can anybody confirm if they've managed to get it working with this setup?

I'm not sure where hav u read but I'm pretty sure it is working fine if u hav err03 on it , how is work is grom audio unit fool the oem stereo to read that u hav another cd chearger device to play ur music frm ur iPod or Iphone, etc , but I can't be 100% sure, but i readed some where before ...while ago before I got my. But to be sure contact grom audio customer service and they will answer all ur question. Hope that help!

Suxelis check out this thread I made a while back...I have an xcarlink adapter fitted in mine and I used to have the grom in my old lexus so its a comparison of the two. They're pretty simple to install if your even the slightest bit handy and as long as you look at the instructions and understand them you'll be fine. There's a very useful link I posted in that thread if you check it out

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=78148

Thanks.

I ended up going for the XCarLink with Bluetooth in the end and it works perfectly! The only problems I have now is that XCarLink now takes up the socket at the back which the Sat Nav used to use so the Sat Nav is no longer working but that's not such a big problem and can be easily fixed with a y-connector. The second problem is finding a suitable place for the Bluetooth microphone!

All in all I'm very happy with this solution.

That's annoying, because the Grom has a passthrough connector built in, to allow the sat-nav or ext. cd changer to also use that port. Would have been just the ticket.

As for BT mic, just run it up the A-Post trim and have it poke out at the top, where it meets the headlining.

You don't have to take it off - there's a decent gap when you pull the door rubber away. (Which you have to do to take it off anyway)

fullrubber.jpg

Its an ideal place to put it (you can see mine dangling there) but If you have passengers that may be talking on the handsfree too, you can put the mic in the middle by the courtesy lamp.

You can feed the wire you've just put up right through the roof lining to the lamp - its quite hollow.

Just be careful to go OVER the air-curtain so it doesn't impede it in a crash.

routethrough.jpg

You caqn then pop the lamp off and have it in the middle

lamp.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links