Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After 12 Months What Do I Think?

Ok so after 12 months and roughly 11,000 miles of owning my IS I thought I would write a little review.

Cost:

For what these cars go for these days I say you get a lot of car for your money and I mean a lot. Would you be surprised if I told you the only specs missing in my 10 year old car compared to a 2012-13 showroom car is built in Satnav (ok this was an option which mine didn’t have), reverse camera , push start button and USB/aux connector. Someone help me out here if I missed anything…

shows if you still drive a 10 year old Lexus you are not missing a lot from a 2012-13 showroom car.

Running Cost:

Besides usual service maintenance which every car goes through at some point, i.e. changing spark plugs, engine oil, oil filter, diff, gearbox oil, pollen, wipers, pads/discs and Battery.. I have only had to change drivers side lamp bulb which cost about £5 from Halfords that’s the only non maintenance part which has broken on the IS after 11,000 miles. Goes to show how well mechanical parts and electricals have been engineered on these cars.

Most IS owners say its not the best on fuel but come on guys you know it wasn’t designed to return 70mpg before you got it? If I get anymore than 18mpg in town am happy if I get anymore than 26mpg on a combined motorway/town driving am happy because it’s returning more than the officially stated book figures which it does. For best economy always use the best fuel you can afford mainly top tier fuels like Shell, BP, Esso, Total. Yes they all come from the same refinery but difference lies in their friction reducing/modifying additives. Use fully synthetic 5w-30 engine oils which will further reduce friction, heat and better internal cooling during driving. Every little helps to squeeze every drop of mpg from a gallon of fuel, in fact I get 22mpg in town and 31mpg combined so not bad for a 3litre auto.

Practicality:

Its not the most spacious saloon mainly at the back and boot due to being a Sporty sedan but I have managed to move a mates complete apartments Items including tv kitchen items and clothes with exception of washing machine and fridge in the IS. I did 3 trips but was still possible in the IS. Boot and back seat swallows all my monthly food shopping so its more than enough.

Handling:

For a first attempt I think Lexus nailed it with the handling. Will be honest this car does not handle as good as an E46 330i coupe on the limit because I saw the handling of that car in tight corners for my self and could not keep up with it on the straights the IS300 does have the upper hand for some reason but it tends to oversteer(backend kicks out) a lot when pushed to the limit in very tight bends I have had it WIM’d but no joy so might be my car that’s not well balanced for some reason might be the Pirelli’s am currently running might change to Bridgestone Potenzas and see if it gains more rear grip but its no biggy because how often does one drive on the limit round corners anyway? Will give the BMW the on limit handling for sure.

Performance:

Now a 0-60 time of 8.2secs and top speed of 143mph for the IS300 does not sound exciting on paper due to the fact most Turbohot hatches can hit that in 6 or 6.5 secs and clock 150mph but the real world performance of this car tells a different story. As a close comparison, my previous car was a 2.5 V6 ford cougar with the same 0-60 and top speed figure as the IS300 but the IS300 is quicker, sharper and more responsive than the V6 Coupe even tho the IS has two more doors. Not sure if it’s the VVT-I which makes all this happen or the Shell V power I run it on. Haven’t really done a lot of 0-60 shootout at the traffic lights but have done more rolling quick sprints either overtaking , joining the mway, or pulling away from an annoying tail gaiters and has been quick. Every now and again I get the other man who wants a challenge and I have taking on a few from Turbo hot hatches GTI, sciroccos, Civic Type R’s, A4 turbos to 3.0 Audi diesels 320 mercs and BMW’s and they all gave thumbs up or had to do a double take on my rear badge afterwards. They couldn’t believe their eyes.. The performance is not in the league of IS-F, M3,M5, RS4’s , AMG’s, STI’s or EVO’s but its enough to get one into trouble and out of trouble. The brakes are good and bite well when braking in emergency.

Recommendation: 1(low) – 10(High)

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give the IS300 a low 1.

Why?? Because I don’t want others knowing how good a car it is in all aspects and I would hate to see Lexus’s flooded on UK roads like the obvious 3 brands. Well we all know those brands dont we :D ..

How long have you owned your Lexus? Feel free to share your Lexus ownership reviews

Had mine 6 years , its 12 years old , only ever let me down once due to a coil pack . I agree with you entirely but i had to change my is200 s to se by interior change and external changes but this is the best car ive ever had.

Good review. I've had my IS300 for over 5.5 years and taken it from 2,400 miles to 69,000 miles and I'd echo eveything you've said. This is one great car. And, mine being the SportCross, it could probably have managed the fridge and washing machine too!

And, mine being the SportCross, it could probably have managed the fridge and washing machine too!

Haha :lol: i agree was surprised how much stuff it swallowed each trip when i was helping my mate move. he had a 42" plasma and it slid into the back seat will less hassle double checked all my leather seats after the move trip was done and was all intact with no cuts anywhere..not sure why Lexus did not bother with a Sportcross version of the newer IS250/220d and the GS300/GS430 versions. Yes estates dont sell well in US and other parts of the world but they could have taken a few sales from BM. Merc and Audi in Europe if they had those aswell i recon.

The sports cross was a bit of a flop mate to be fair comparing it to sales of IS200/300 saloons that's prob why no estate on the mk2. :)

Nice review fella, agree with everything you said except I have a 200 but your points are valid for both cars except the performance figures. :)

The sports cross was a bit of a flop mate to be fair comparing it to sales of IS200/300 saloons that's prob why no estate on the mk2. :)

Flop? FLOP? :angry: Exclusive, more like!

OK, I agree, it didn't sell well, but the new shape IS is crying out for that rear door, it really is.

I'm really trying hard to like it but seem to struggle a bit.

Very pretty looking car I must admit...

Thats cus you came from a 5 series which is more luxury compared to the IS's...maybe a GS or LS would suit you

Maybe you're right.

I am trying to get used to it so I might be ok after a while.

The 5-Series was different from the 7-Series I came from and I adapted to that alright.

Time will tell I suppose. I'd love to buy a GS but 12 miles a day 3 cold starts will make it an absolute killer on fuel. This little 2L is bad enough....

Maybe you're right.

The 5-Series was different from the 7-Series I came from and I adapted to that alright.

Time will tell I suppose. I'd love to buy a GS but 12 miles a day 3 cold starts will make it an absolute killer on fuel. This little 2L is bad enough....

Like they say 'you wont know until you've tried' so if you havent invested a lot in your current IS200 you can always change it for a GS and see how it does on the fuel during your short runs if its too much you can always get rid of it.. havent owned a Diesel before but i know diesels do take longer to warm up than petrol powered cars so i bet your old 5 series wasnt at its sweetest mpg spot during your cold starts and short trips.. I owned a 98' 520i with beige leather interior and walnut trim breifly until it started given problems and had to get rid of it and i do agree the interior and drive of the 5 series is different to the IS. the IS feels lighter and buttons and knobs dont pack meat like the 5 series but the GS300 feels more like the 5 series when i test drove 2 during my hunt for a lexus before settling with the IS300 infact i test drove an IS200, IS300 and GS300. i felt the IS200 was too light but the engine note sounded nice during driving and urged one to floor it i like something with a bit of oomph and i felt 155bhp is not enough for me, the GS300 was a bit too barge and heavy for me as i wanted and Athlete sedan something you can throw around every now and again but can cruise quietly at 70mph and found it in the IS300 because it had IS200 body with GS300 engine.

Well I did warn you Ray that the IS liked a drink or two.....Karl

At least it warms up quickly....

I expected a thirsty car but this is nearly on par with the 740i I had....

You're right about heating up. They must have multiple webastos hidden somewhere.... That'd explain the fuel loss too haha

Maybe you're right.

Like they say 'you wont know until you've tried' so if you havent invested a lot in your current IS200 you can always change it for a GS and see how it does on the fuel during your short runs if its too much you can always get rid of it.. havent owned a Diesel before but i know diesels do take longer to warm up than petrol powered cars so i bet your old 5 series wasnt at its sweetest mpg spot during your cold starts and short trips.. I owned a 98' 520i with beige leather interior and walnut trim breifly until it started given problems and had to get rid of it and i do agree the interior and drive of the 5 series is different to the IS. the IS feels lighter and buttons and knobs dont pack meat like the 5 series but the GS300 feels more like the 5 series when i test drove 2 during my hunt for a lexus before settling with the IS300 infact i test drove an IS200, IS300 and GS300. i felt the IS200 was too light but the engine note sounded nice during driving and urged one to floor it i like something with a bit of oomph and i felt 155bhp is not enough for me, the GS300 was a bit too barge and heavy for me as i wanted and Athlete sedan something you can throw around every now and again but can cruise quietly at 70mph and found it in the IS300 because it had IS200 body with GS300 engine.

Not sure about swapping for a GS yet. Misses is due a new car first.

You're right about consumption in the diesel 5 when cold. I was getting about 22MPG with the short runs. I used to to about 35000 miles a year and with mixed driving it returned 32MPG. The 740i however did about 20MPG round town and 28MPG on a run. A bit like the IS is doing now but without the 4.4L V8...

Lol Ray I see your as disgusted as me with the MPG! Mines worse than my old Honda and that car was much bigger and had a 2.2 engine. Speak to some people tho and their claiming 40+ mpg from the IS and can get 600 miles to a tank :whistling:

Those figures are impossible in my IS200!

600 miles to a tank would be good! Actually, I'd be more than happy if I'd get 400 to a full tank rather than the 290 I'm getting now.

Done about 50 miles now and it has dropped a quarter of a tank already....

Good job fuel is so cheap nowadays....

Ray am thinking for the short trips and start/stop journeys you doing have you considered the MK1 GS450h?? most of your journys will be runing on recharged batteries the car wont even use the fuel... 32mpg just driving in town on the gs450h, will drive like the 5 series aswell.. they are now fetching around £10,000 on autotrader so the question is does the benefits outweigh the initial vehicle cost compared to an IS200 with 18mpg?? all depends on how long you looking to keep the GS450h .

Not looked into Hybrids ever. Yet.

Only bought the IS200 as I wanted one when they came out as they looked good. Not because its a Lexus in particular.

I'm having a couple of years off work which I'm half way through and after that the mileage will go back up drastically again so will be looking for something else or maybe the IS would do fine when if it sees motorways most of the time?

It'll be fine Ray and your mpg will go up when you get it to motorway/dual carrigeway speeds.

I only got 110 miles from half a tank when I was down in Swansea visiting family. I did 16 miles a day in 4, 4 mile trips if that makes sense. So I noticed a drastic drop in mpg when just using the car on short trips from cold starts!

I get around 400 miles to tank every time. Mines a 200 manual and I'm mostly on motorways and NSL A-Roads. I've always used BP Ultimate and cannot compare to regular fuels. 400 seems about notmal looking at the other posts.

• 3 weeks later...

8.2 seconds EU spec IS300 vs ~7 seconds US spec IS300 is only beacause final ratio.

US spec auto - 3.91:1

EU spec auto - 3.38:1

Now if you ask me what happens when one throws in Supra MK III 4.3 gears with LSD unit (both are direct swap)? I can tell you that TypeR civics and MK V golf GTI will get used to see those round taillights of yours...

MPG, of course, will suffer a bit on motorways beacause engine will rev higher but...

8.2 seconds EU spec IS300 vs ~7 seconds US spec IS300 is only beacause final ratio.

US spec auto - 3.91:1

EU spec auto - 3.38:1

Now if you ask me what happens when one throws in Supra MK III 4.3 gears with LSD unit (both are direct swap)? I can tell you that TypeR civics and MK V golf GTI will get used to see those round taillights of yours...

MPG, of course, will suffer a bit on motorways beacause engine will rev higher but...

mate even without a 3.91:1 final drive ratio EU IS300's are quick(well mine is). I think the 1st into 2nd gear ratio is what makes the un entertaining 0-62 time of 8.2 happen but I personally will rate it at 7 seconds. where it smokes most cars is rolling acceleration from 3rd to 4th to 5th. I think 4th gear alone pulls from a low 85mph all the way to 125mph in the same gear before shifting to 5th. so where most cars would be changing gears between 85 to 125 mph, you are maintaing the same gear and climbing. I think it it was built for drag racing based on the gearing I am still not sure if mine has the LSD but its the Sport version so might have one. In stock form IS300'S are not in the same league as the BIG V8 boys but boy it does surprise you the cars that it can slaughter if you go by paper figure performance alone. with high octance fuel, ECT PWR activated and in M mode, even RB270 subaru Imprezzas with 270bhp cannot pull away from it in a straight line....put it simple a 3.0litre Audi with 240bhp and 500NM of torque both of which should blast the IS300 onto the hard shoulder based on it paper figures gets smoked after 3rd gear..

so i wonder what the Supra MK III 4.3 gears and the LSD conversion unit into the IS300 will do to a 300 - 350 bhp car in real world without even going to the extent of fitting a turbo.if a 270bhp imprezza cannot pull away comfortably what chance does the 300bhp car have after you do the Supra gears and LSD swaps??

I happen to have 4.3 gears and MKIII Clutch-type LSD.

It launches hard and gears are nicely short. If I keep the revs more than 4500 no hothach can beat me on rolling start.

This torsen LSD which was standard on Sport models should work properly also.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links