Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Iam Members On This Forum?

I have also heard good things about it but have never got around to taking the test either. I'm sure it would improve my driving considerably though and one day I would like to do it. Just need more time!

I have been a member of the I.A.M since 1987

I took the test thinking it would help me in becoming a driving instructor but if fact the expectation of both institutions are completely different.

However I think taking the test certainly improved all aspects of my driving, but I don’t think it has given me any financial benefits.

Yes I to am a qualified member,I took the IAM test in 2007 because as a high mileage driver (50K plus per year) my driving had become lazy and 2 speeding convictions meant I was worried about a ban. I thoroughly enjoyed the process and test, it has completly changed the way I drive meaning much greater safety (never get caught out now by looking so far ahead) and financial benefits in the way of reduced insurance premiums,improved fuel consumption figures and almost no break wear/ black front wheels.

Hope you do it,so worthwile. Regards Tony

Yes I to am a qualified member,I took the IAM test in 2007 because as a high mileage driver (50K plus per year) my driving had become lazy and 2 speeding convictions meant I was worried about a ban. I thoroughly enjoyed the process and test, it has completly changed the way I drive meaning much greater safety (never get caught out now by looking so far ahead) and financial benefits in the way of reduced insurance premiums,improved fuel consumption figures and almost no break wear/ black front wheels.

Hope you do it,so worthwile. Regards Tony

PS the only slight downside is you will notice how badly some other people drive and why there are so many collisions,so few drivers obey the two second rule.

I've read a couple of police driving manuals and good observation seems to be the key to advanced driving. The looking far ahead thing has been mentioned a couple of time already. But just observing things isn't the only thing I noticed in these books. You have to be able to interpret potential hazards and act accordingly too. This seems, to me, to be a very skilful activity (that I can't do) but I'd like to learn more about it at some point. The whole commentary whilst driving approach requires you to verbalise your thought processes whilst 'in the moment' and this is far from easy too. So, I take my hat off to those members that have worked hard at these skills.

Its not as hard as you think,concentration is the key,as soon as you let your mind wander to other matters you fail to notice potential hazzards,the commentary thing is only speaking your thoughts.I never bothered to master the "IAM speak" just prefering to say it as it is.

I took the test thinking it would help me in becoming a driving instructor but if fact the expectation of both institutions are completely different.

As an ex driving instructor, I find that interesting, could you expand on it a bit please?

As an ex driving instructor, I find that interesting, could you expand on it a bit please?

Hi Michael,

As a ex ADI I expect you have seen many changes over the years, and its these changes that made the IAM test different from the ADI test.

In the IAM test you were expected to drive like a experienced driver would, not like a learner, or a inexperienced driver would.

Using the right gear for the right job, approaching traffic lights in 4th gear and only changing down to another gear if you needed to, in other words stopping at the lights in 4th gear unless they changed, and if they did change selecting the correct gear to continue, block changing from 4th to 2nd, 3rd to 1st, slipping it into 1st gear just before the car stops, approaching junctions and not completely stopping unless it was necessary, only applying the hand brake if it was necessary, when driving in a 30 mph limit, when it changed to a 60/70 mph limit, change down to the appropriate gear and make swift progress, in country lanes drive to the centre line of the road while taking right hand bends to see further ahead.

Now you might look at the above and think to your self, “well hang on that’s mostly what I used to teach as a ADI anyway” well yes most of it you do now, but NOT back in 1986.

Hi Chris, interesting post you have made there. What got me interested in the IAM was, my wife asked me what I would like for Christmas and as usual I didn't know. She then suggested the IAM test and I became very interested but, one of the things that I wasn't sure about was the fact that I now drive an automatic and, your post mentions gear changes in some detail.

I am wondering what the IAM's thoughts are on this. Are there any particular things that they look for when teaching/testing auto drivers.

Hope this isn't too daft a point I am raising here!

Thanks for the reply Chris.

You're right when you say I did used to teach most of the above, but I was an ADI from 1990 - 1999, and so can't comment on 1986.

I do recall though, according to the instructors that had been at it a while, that there had been recent changes when I started, for example with regards to using gears to slow down, as opposed to block changes.

That would seem to tie in with what you are saying.

To Geoff, the OP, I would say go ahead.

Part of qualifying as a driving instructor is an advanced driving test - I found it very enjoyable, and even though I'd done an awful lot of miles as a taxi driver previously, it definitely improved my driving.

Hi Chris, interesting post you have made there. What got me interested in the IAM was, my wife asked me what I would like for Christmas and as usual I didn't know. She then suggested the IAM test and I became very interested but, one of the things that I wasn't sure about was the fact that I now drive an automatic and, your post mentions gear changes in some detail.

I am wondering what the IAM's thoughts are on this. Are there any particular things that they look for when teaching/testing auto drivers.

Hope this isn't too daft a point I am raising here!

Hi Geoff

Sorry but I cant help you much with the Auto side of things, I did take my IAM test back in 1986, so I expect things may have changed slightly, I admit I haven’t re taken the test witch I know some people do every few years.

I would guess that they would expect you to use the Auto box as it was designed for, leave it in drive most of the time and possibly selecting the lower gears when descending steep hills, it may be worth calling the IAM, they have instructors that you can arrange a lesson with, just to point you in the right direction…good luck…Chris

I'd love to be able to offer the IAM process to the complete prat in the red MG who drove, at quite stupid speeds, up and down Bolderwood Ornamental Drive in the New Forest this afternoon beeping at cars and cyclists without a care for anyone else on the road.

Tip....go to Santa Pod and wellie it there, or on the M27 and get nicked.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links