Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ect Power Mode Is250 F-Sport

noby76, just a thought.

Off topic I know, sorry.

You say " ....but is Nobuaki Katayama telling us the truth!!

Or. the Lexus folks in Japan are having a laugh at our expense.

That is, the "IS250" badge on the back of the car is not the cubic capacity as we thought.

It really stands for, horse-power! :driving:

Sorry for lowering the tone of this thread ... ...............

Argento

UpSideDown, re. ..." F-sport performance intake .."

Do I already have this on my stock MY2011 F-Sport?

In any case, could you give us more details about this please?

Presumably it would affect my warranty?

Argento

It's an option part that not come with the car. It help the engine breath better and it sounds like a IS-F above 3,5-4k rpm. Its made by Lexus/Toyota and will not affect your waranty

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/fsport/IS250-2012/1793.html.

noby76, I've finished all 24 pages!

You weren't kidding when you said "very long thread though" !

Really interesting. As you indicated at the outset.

I see the last post was by Balance on 25 August 2012.

He said he had found something interesting in the manual he got hold of.

But he has not come back?

So was Kurtz right?

One thing did occur to me while reading all this.

Was there a Lexus transmission engineer in Japan responsible for developing the ECT PWR function, having a good chuckle at all these exchanges?

As someone said in the thread, with hindsight it would have been nice if we could just have asked a Lexus Japan what the answer was.

Argento

Yep told you it was long :D took me about 2 days to finish reading it but still dont fully understand it to be honest. I dont think Kurtz is right about this mode being slower than normal mode only way to find out is to have it tested using these devices which can calculate 0-60 and quater mile speed accurately and that can give us an outcome..most of the technical developments comes from Japan so my guess will be it was a Jap engineer who designed it. Yes i agree it would be nice to get a Lexus Japan for the answer but these things are secret as to how they Technically or how th algorithms work so i doubt they would disclose this info to the rest of the world. they will only tell us the basics of how it operates and thats it.

noby76, just a thought.

Off topic I know, sorry.

You say " ....but is Nobuaki Katayama telling us the truth!!

Or. the Lexus folks in Japan are having a laugh at our expense.

That is, the "IS250" badge on the back of the car is not the cubic capacity as we thought.

It really stands for, horse-power! :driving:

Sorry for lowering the tone of this thread ... ...............

Argento

Haha :lol: I know maybe the badge does stand for the actaull road horse power not the displacement.. cus mine does hung with turbo hot hatches and 3.0 diesels with around 500NM of torque and slays them easily in M ECT-PWR mode..I mean I still dont understand how a naturally aspirated 2.5 litre car without a turbo can do 161mph that shows how efficient the gearbox alone is cus it can harness that power without loosing it most cars can have 250 - 300bhp being generated from the engine but if the gearbox, alternator etc robs them of 50bhp you will find yourself keeping up with them easily hence i have now come to undersatnd its not always about the huge horsepower an engine produces but you also need efficient mechanical parts to hrness that power to the wheels...and i recon Lexus mechanical parts are quite efficient in harnessing real power to the wheels.

Another question I'm afraid.

If I am already in "S" mode i.e. selecting the shift range by paddles or the shift lever), can I then also select the driving mode, ECT PWR ?

If so, what difference can I expect to experience?

Argento

UpSideDown, thanks very much for this.

Looks very good.

I'm pleased to note it is a Lexus/Toyota part.

Looks like very good installation instructions.

Well beyond my capabilities though!

I'd have to get someone to do it for me.

I'll study the instructions later.

I'd have to import this kit as I'm in the UK, right?

Where are you located?

Argento

Another question I'm afraid.

If I am already in "S" mode i.e. selecting the shift range by paddles or the shift lever), can I then also select the driving mode, ECT PWR ?

If so, what difference can I expect to experience?

Argento

Yes you can... but dont want to spoil it for you so try it out and find out for your self :)

@noby76, <but these things are secret as to how they Technically or how th algorithms work so i doubt they would disclose this info to the rest of the world. they will only tell us the basics of how it operates and thats it. >

I'm sure you're right.

Another possible problem that we are up against (understanding how ECT PWR works) may be this.

Some years ago now, when I was using Lotus 1-2-3 software I was told something interesting by someone who new the product inside out and who I trusted.

He said the Lotus manuals (and presumably Excel, Word etc.) were not written by the programmers.

They were written by people like us.

To give them some credit, "technical authors".

They just pressed this key then that key to see what happens!

Whatever happened, was "documented".

A lot of the parts of my Lexus Owner's Manual does give me the impression that was how it was written.

For example, the sections on the radio and ECT PWR are a disgrace.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that if the pieces on ECT PWR etc. we have access to were not written by the engineers/programmers, what chance have we of understanding it?

Argento

noby76, <Yes you can... but dont want to spoil it for you so try it out and find out for your self :) >

I thought you might say this!

And you are right to say so.

I was just being lazy.

I don't want to take the car out of the garage at the moment, too much snow here. Ha-ha

I will try it next time the car's out.

But can you at least let me know that is addressed somewhere in those 24 pages!

It would save me slogging through it again - although i would enjoy it!

Argento

BTW off-topic a bit, again.

When I put the car back in the garage this afternoon, I put it into "Snow" mode.

It was much easier to control - slowly edging into the restricted space that is supposed to be our "garage" (don't but a Taylor Wimpey house!).

As someone mentioned in the Lexus Club thread, that's mainly because it starts off in 2nd gear, right?

Has anyone else mentioned this.

Probably not.

Because only idiots like me seem to use the garage to keep their car in these days :ooh-ducky:

yep I do agree just like VVT-i this device alone uses crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, air flow meter, Throttle position sensor, water tempereture sensor, oil control valve, and ECU to make it work so as you can see in order to fully understand it technically with all those sensor calcualtions and algorithms will take be hard work. but all you need to know is VVT-i gives more torque in any rpm and improves high revs power. same as ECT PWR it improves the cars behavior in terms of responses and gives the car all the power available to it when its activated thats it...

noby76, <Yes you can... but dont want to spoil it for you so try it out and find out for your self :) >

I thought you might say this!

And you are right to say so.

I was just being lazy.

I don't want to take the car out of the garage at the moment, too much snow here. Ha-ha

I will try it next time the car's out.

But can you at least let me know that is addressed somewhere in those 24 pages!

It would save me slogging through it again - although i would enjoy it!

Argento

BTW off-topic a bit, again.

When I put the car back in the garage this afternoon, I put it into "Snow" mode.

It was much easier to control - slowly edging into the restricted space that is supposed to be our "garage" (don't but a Taylor Wimpey house!).

As someone mentioned in the Lexus Club thread, that's mainly because it starts off in 2nd gear, right?

Has anyone else mentioned this.

Probably not.

Because only idiots like me seem to use the garage to keep their car in these days :ooh-ducky:

I dont have the IS250 owners manual but i believe it wont hurt the engine or gerbox to run ECT PWR with S mode activated. if it did then Lexus would have added a caution note in the manual about not running these two modes at the same time. for all I know snow mode 'dulls' the throttle response ie the engine trottle wont open up quickly when you depress the accelerator pedal so you get less rear wheel spin but other factors like retarding the ignition timing and differential response might also come into play but not 100% sure to be honest. SNOW mode dulls the car ECT PWR wakes it up more!! only way to find out if it start in 2nd is to switch your screen mode to the gear change selector as i believe you can do this on the IS250 and that will tell you which gear the car is actually in when moving in SNOW mode.

noby76, <I dont have the IS250 owners manual but i believe it wont hurt the engine or gerbox to run ECT PWR with S mode activated.>

Ok I'll give it try.

<only way to find out if it start in 2nd is to switch your screen mode to the gear change selector as i believe you can do this on the IS250 and that will tell you which gear the car is actually in when moving in SNOW mode.>

Yes that's right.

In fact I did just yesterday.

On take-off, the Multi-information display does indeed show that the car is in 2nd gear.

Great.

Argento

yep I do agree just like VVT-i this device alone uses crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, air flow meter, Throttle position sensor, water tempereture sensor, oil control valve, and ECU to make it work so as you can see in order to fully understand it technically with all those sensor calcualtions and algorithms will take be hard work. but all you need to know is VVT-i gives more torque in any rpm and improves high revs power. same as ECT PWR it improves the cars behavior in terms of responses and gives the car all the power available to it when its activated thats it...

Thanks.

It's interesting to know it uses all those sensors, just for that device alone!

Argento

I suppose by todays standards my 1994 Toyota Celsior is old hat but it does have the power mode ECT selection and in addition TEMS which is Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension which stiffens the damping on both the front and rear suspension when Power ECT is selected.

I would imagine models like the IS250 have much improved systems fited but the technology involved has been around for some considerable time.

It's quite amazing that your car has TEMS

The way the other manufacturers talk e.g. VW, BMW, you would think it was a new thing.

I hope F.A. and others similarly knowledgeable, see what I'm going to say next ....

I'm pretty sure that my MY2011 IS250 F-Sport does not have variable damping linked to the ECT PWR mode?

I'd love it if someone said otherwise :flowers:

Argento

USD, ok thanks.

That's settled that then.

Less to worry about and less maintenance costs I suppose.

BTW did you see my post on 15 Jan "UpSideDown, thanks very much for this.

Looks very good.

I'm pleased to note ..." ?

Argento

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links