Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Have Any (First Hand) Knowledge Of High Mile Rx400's?

Been looking to change up from my IS300 and have been looking at RX's- its a toss up between a 350 and a hybrid.

I wonder if anyone who has an 80k plus RX400 has got any words of warning against getting one that could potentially be problematic re the Battery packs etc, or whether just to bite the bullet on a £475 road tax RX350!

Thanks,

J

Hi Jason, not quite the same but close in that my GS450 h hybrid with the same technology is almost on 160,000 with no faults (said touching wood!) She still charges quickly and holds her charge at least as well as when I bought her with less than 20,000 on the clock. I believe there was a inverter issue on some early RX400s but may be covered by Lexus? worth checking out before you buy.

I have found the hybrid to be a really cheap car to run with almost no faults and no time off the road plus pretty good MPG,reasonable road tax but have just lost my congestion charging relief.

Hope this helps, Tony

Tony,

many thanks for your thoughts.

I've run my IS300 up to 106k and it has been faultless, but had concerns over the high miles on a hybrid equivilent.

Some peace of mind at least.

J

you are welcome, I ran my 300 Sportcross up to 130,000 with no faults and in fact only sold it then because as a 2nd car for the wife to go shopping in is was too juicy,I really liked the car.

The only trouble I have ever had with a high mileage car was a GS300 only because I tried a LPG conversion which really did not suit the engine, keep them standard they just go on and on.

118,000 on a 55 RX 400h SE-L and is quiet, gives 30+ mpg, serviced regularly and only my mistake in a Battery changeover caused any problems. Rectified for less than £200 inc new Battery.

All the extras work as per normal. Love my Lexus almost as much as my Supra MKIV VVTi Twin Turbo - both beautifully put together......

BJ

118,000 on a 55 RX 400h SE-L and is quiet, gives 30+ mpg, serviced regularly and only my mistake in a battery changeover caused any problems. Rectified for less than £200 inc new battery.

All the extras work as per normal. Love my Lexus almost as much as my Supra MKIV VVTi Twin Turbo - both beautifully put together......

BJ

Cheers fella,

Definately looking for a hybrid now- out of interest, where abouts in Surrey are you?

J

Hi I bought my RX450 SE-L in June 2011 with 92000 on the clock it had 12 month lexus warranty and when it ran out I put a further two years on. The car is brilliant - no trouble with the batteries and the fuel consumption around 30 mpg. It still drives and feels like a new car. the inverter problem was a recall by lexus so should have been sorted now on any cars out there - mine was done just after I bought the car. I did have a leak on the transaxle and the unit was changed under the warranty. I would recommend buying the Lexus used warranty it is a little expensive but does give very good cover. The big saving for me was the cost of the car - low due to the high milage - I did ask about the batteries when I bought it and was told that as yet they hadn't changed any

My 5 year old RX400h has done almost 80,000 and runs like new. Its the best car I have ever owned. Its been serviced every year and well looked after and like previous owners I've only had to change the small Battery which cost me £54 for a bosch one from euro car parts. This time of year I'm getting almost 28 mpg and summer months 30 mpg. I would recommend an RX400 to anyone. A lot of car for your money.

i can only speak to my personal experience that we are going through right now. 45k mile 2006 RX400h. Battery is dead nearly everyday, 4th new Battery in 6 months. major electrical fault somewhere along the way leading to overnight drain. lexus service has had the car for 8 weeks and cannot make diagnosis. only suggestion is to disconnect Battery EVERY TIME WE USE THE CAR. which is obviously unacceptable.

so the Battery issue is a major major problem.

if that doesnt turn you off... i can give you a great deal on a 2006 Rx 400h...

i can only speak to my personal experience that we are going through right now. 45k mile 2006 RX400h. battery is dead nearly everyday, 4th new battery in 6 months. major electrical fault somewhere along the way leading to overnight drain. lexus service has had the car for 8 weeks and cannot make diagnosis. only suggestion is to disconnect battery EVERY TIME WE USE THE CAR. which is obviously unacceptable.

so the battery issue is a major major problem.

But this is almost certainly a one off and I cannot recall anyone posting such an extreme tale. It is not unheard of with any make/model and so should not be taken into account as typical.

i can only speak to my personal experience that we are going through right now. 45k mile 2006 RX400h. battery is dead nearly everyday, 4th new battery in 6 months. major electrical fault somewhere along the way leading to overnight drain. lexus service has had the car for 8 weeks and cannot make diagnosis. only suggestion is to disconnect battery EVERY TIME WE USE THE CAR. which is obviously unacceptable.

so the battery issue is a major major problem.

Have you ever consider a second opinion? Clearly you have a problem, but that is not affecting all cars of this model, so it is has a cause and possible solution. The advice you were given is totally unacceptable - did you tried another garage?

yes, have tried 2 other generic garages and they said take it to a dedicated Lexus shop. We have not tried other lexus garages, as I would assume they all work on the same service protocols. thanks for the suggestion. sorry for my continued complaining... i cant believe that in the millions of RXs sold ours is the only one to see this sort of problem.

I just read your post in the other thread. It seems you have done what it takes. But don't give up - out there is someone who might fix your car. I don't know what they did. To me it seems logical that they eliminate the possible causes one by one, until they find the one that drains your Battery. No doubt they checked the alarm first. I would suggest you take out the fuses of minor things that aren't essential for the safety of the driving - ask them to suggest which ones you can disengage. Hopefully you'll find it!

yes, have tried 2 other generic garages and they said take it to a dedicated Lexus shop. We have not tried other lexus garages, as I would assume they all work on the same service protocols. thanks for the suggestion. sorry for my continued complaining... i cant believe that in the millions of RXs sold ours is the only one to see this sort of problem.

There can be such rogue vehicles - it is far from unknown.

Had my 2008 400h for three years now and have just had the 50k service done although its only done 47k. A new aux Battery was fitted at this service due to showing only 10.88v. I also had front discs and pads fitted at the 40k service. Apart from these and an annoying rattle somewhere around the dashboard at low speed the car is a dream to drive and if ever I come to change it I would have no hesitation in getting the RX450h.

Off topic, is there a shortage of 400h as I've had two offers to buy mine from a Lexus dealer recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links