Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving Licence Old Style Paper Or Photocard ?

CHUNKY CHIP

Old style which was green/white paper only but having moved I will now be issued a photo type licence unfortunately. I wish I still had my original licence which was a little red book.

Old style which was green/white paper only but having moved I will now be issued a photo type licence unfortunately. I wish I still had my original licence which was a little red book.

i seen the book ones ha ha in a museum once :whistling:

Does it matter if you have a paper or card one these days do you have to have a photi-card licence or can a paper one be still ok not compulsary to have a photo licence yet is it?

i seen the book ones ha ha in a museum once :whistling:

Does it matter if you have a paper or card one these days do you have to have a photi-card licence or can a paper one be still ok not compulsary to have a photo licence yet is it?

Not compulsory but if , like me, you relocate/change address then a photo licence is automatically issued by the authorities when you notify them (as required by law).

Sore subject with me, in 1977 when I passed my test I paid £5.00 for a full licence that was valid until I was 70.

When I changed address I was forced by the EU to change and pay for a photocard licence which needs renewing every ten years.

So much for my lifetime licence,just another government rip off me thinks.

Tried to hire a car in Scotland without the paper bit. Just had my card part. They said I needed both parts. But for an extra £5 they called the DVLA to confirm I had 3 points and no more.

My current licence is not a photo licence it is the old style "pre photo licence". This has never caused me a problem hiring cars or vans in UK or abroad, about a dozen UK rentals and 4 abroad in last 12 months.

Sore subject with me, in 1977 when I passed my test I paid £5.00 for a full licence that was valid until I was 70.

When I changed address I was forced by the EU to change and pay for a photocard licence which needs renewing every ten years.

So much for my lifetime licence,just another government rip off me thinks.

It's a sore point with me too.

Yesterday we had two letters delivered from the DVLA. I thought it was a bit strange as no VED is due from me at the moment. Upon opening the letters I was shocked to find that I now owe the DVLA £40 for them to send me two new licences for me and my wife.

Gutted!

Steve.

Never had a problem with the old style licence..well not yet anyway!

I have not moved house since 1989 so that's why I still have the old style. May be house downsizing sometime (kids flew the nest and all that) so we'll be forced into the new two parter at that point.

In Majorca and Jersey last year the hire company seemed to prefer my old licence..gawd knows why..maybe us old codgers are less of a risk in some bizarre way. It's almost like seeing the old pink licence is like seeing granny's old leather chesterfield!

• 4 weeks later...

I still have the old paper one which is now stuck together with bits of chewing gum, gaffa tape and on the rare occasion I have been asked by one of her majesties boys in blue for it I get great delight in handing them the scruffiest driving license in the land. Mike

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Daftest thing about the photocard UK drivers-licence, is the piece of paper your supposed to lug around in your wallet with it, if your stopped by the Police, or offer it up for ID in shops, etc, if you aren't carrying that wad of paper as well, your licence is deemed not valid, bleedin' typical...

• 2 weeks later...

So I turn up at a car rental place, hand over my card licence and the girl says have you got the paper counterpart...................er no...........so she says you need it to rent a car......................I say I haven't got it......................she says oh ok I'll speak to my manager.........................he says don't worry about it.....................

I've still got both.

Does anyone here know when points expire? I've been driving around with 3 points for quite a while (several years I think) and I'm wondering if I could get them removed?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links