Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bonnet Struts And The Mot

Well, she sailed through the MoT this morning with just the one advisory - a small crack in the plastic is causing the front number plate to start discolouring.

The gas struts for the bonnet @ £39.18 the pair inclusive arrived very quickly but the MoT garage wouldn't fit them as they had not supplied them. Wiil get around to it when the rain/snow/wind stops - Lexus won't fit in my garage - as, after all, lifting the bonnet is a fairly rare event.

Looking forward to another year of cruising in comfort.

Great news. Thank god for my village garage as they have looked after my wifes car mine and my childrens cars and he has always said do you want to try through your car club if you can get the part cheaper. He has even seen my son visit the shop attached to the garage and noticed he had a brake light out, gone into the shop and asked him to drive the car round the corner so he can fit him a new bulb. Then said I'll see Dad for the money and charged me just for the bulb.

I dread the day he retires as there is no one to take over the business. Mike

I do have a nearby garage who does great things for my motley car collection - currently the Lexus; MGF and Triumph Toledo - but I don't like to take advantage.

When my Nissan QX Maxima 3.0V6 - best car I have ever owned other than the Lexus - broke the exhaust when I drove it down a rough track, I was quoted nearly £600 to replace it. The garage fixed it by welding in a length of exhaust pipe salvaged from a Bentley for £25.

It can always be done but most garages are there to get as much money out of you as possible and then a bit more. A good friendly knowledgeable garage is money in the bank. Mike

FWIW, my '98 passed an MoT with struts that wouldn't hold up a bowl of spaghetti, let alone the bonnet... Wasn't even an advisory.

On the other hand, getting the fog lights working was a b*stard of a job...

Been meaning to think about getting struts done, and reading this post reminded me to get off my backside.

Just been and checked under the bonnet, and propped up with bit of solid metal, but must say ruddy scarey just thinking of a gust of wind coming along, metal rod falling and head rolling onto the ground.

Maybe bonnet struts are advisory, on the basis of 'Headless driver more likely to crash'.

So just ordered from gas struts and await delivery.

MOT at end of March, so just need to check tyre situation and hope for the best.

Anybody else think this is a case of over engineering a car for the sake of it?

I mean you guys are complaining that it's dangerous etc cos the gas struts have failed and could fall on your head but if you had an old fashioned bonnet clip like my IS200 then there's nothing to go wrong and you wouldn't have a problem right now? I don't see how fitting these gas struts to the car at the factory has improved the car... It's just something else to go wrong.

LS400 bonnet is pretty heavy, so when I get to be 60 and driving a luxury car, not so sure I want to get a hernia just to top up the windscreen wash.

So struts make it easier, but agree, maybe there ought to be a backup bonnet clip.

I reckon the LS400 bonnet about twice the weight of the good ladies Honda Accord , and I guess IS200 much smaller amount of metal and sound proofing !!!!

Didn't realise it was that heavy!! Fair enough....

You bet its heavy I watched one guy try to move it one his own last week but he couldnt, it needed two of them to move it. Quality. Mike

Didn't realise it was that heavy!! Fair enough....

You bet its heavy I watched one guy try to move it one his own last week but he couldnt, it needed two of them to move it. Quality. Mike

I had no idea! My old mans old Carlton had a heavy bonnet I remember that!

Forgive my ignorance.... I just thought they put gas ones on there for the sake of it! :whistling:

The struts advertised on EBay above are for a boot, I nearly bought them. SGS can regas your existing struts, I'm not sure this is economical in relation to the new price

Cheers MJM

sorry if this is off topic but when changing the boot struts on my LS430 - i noticed that after removing the struts the boot is astonishingley heavy - i couldn't lift it with one arm

They're heavy well built cars, the bonnet is even heavier without them you cannot lift it with one hand to place the wood prop in there!

Next time I have occasion to go near the garage I'll get them to replace the struts. I have enough trouble with the Parish Council noticeboard that keeps trying to eat me without meeting my end beneath the bonnet of my Lexus.

Incidentally, I have just discovered that the very old walking stick - believed to be my grandfathers' - I have been using as a bonnet prop is actually a Victorian gentlemans' sword stick so that has been rapidly exchanged for a more modern moutaineering stick. Probably not a good idea to be carrying around a bladed object even in the boot.

The struts advertised on EBay above are for a boot, I nearly bought them. SGS can regas your existing struts, I'm not sure this is economical in relation to the new price

Gasstruts is best route, (£40 for a pair - all in), SGS will regas (£34 -all in, but there is the cost of getting them to SGS). Also with SGS you have no struts for 3 or 4 days, which may be an issue if they are not working in first place. SGS say there is the chance that they cannot be regassed. SGS charge £80 for a new set of 2. Not sure if they are any better than the Gasstruts, so not sure if anyone of forum has any comments on Gasstruts life expectancy.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links