Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Forced Induction

I've noticed that most people have used superchargers in their IS200's. Just wondering why people are going down that route. My knowledge of engines is limited, but if a supercharger was giving out say 4psi and turbo was giving also giving out 4psi wouldn't the overall gains in power be roughly the same ? Or am i just just talking sh*t ?

Or could it just simply be that the IS200 engine is more suited to the supercharging method ?

:huh:

Is there a slight advantage with a supercharger in the way that it works? I.e. it is spinning all the time, therefore there's no lag when it cuts in. With a turbo, there's a momentary lag as the exhaust gas spins the thing up??? :unsure:

Time to 'fess up, a long long long time ago I owned a (ahem, cough, cough) Renault 5 GT-Turbo (cue MaxPower jokes)! Anyway, there was a slight but noticeable lag when the turbo spun into action.

Anyway, might be that turbo technology has advanced to the point where there's no lag & I'm talking spherical objects! ;)

TUrbos have come on a bit but lag is still a factor. also the reliability of super chargers is much better.

had a GT Turbo Raider myself. super little car. chronic understeer, a symptom of too much power to the front end.

The thing with a turbo is that due to spinning at over 100,000 rpm with a dedicated oil feed, you need to let them cool down on tickover before shutting the engine off. most people forget to let the turbo cool down and consequently the turbo spins with no lube and wears out. My old T5 TUrbo was one of the quickest cars I have had. didn't feel much slower than the 911. all I did was aput a bleed valve on her. funny thing... When I used optimax she ran quicker but I got the check light on... heard smlar comments with the IS200....

OF COURSE:

Nos is a form of forced induction that the IS 200 could support. I have seen it on an altezza. It works well on the gs300 and Zee and Duncan will soon I am sure advise us of the impact on a 200... hell, I might have to up my jets to keep in the game... :shifty:

Wow, you had the Raider?! That was the all blue jobbie with the blue alloys too! The Raider hadn't been released when I bought mine, so I had the standard metallic grey one. (Lusted after the Raider tho!)

Yup, could get to the pub before all my mates in their 205GTi's etc., but then I had to sit in the car park and idle it for 30 seconds so as to not boil the oil in the turbo!! Know what you mean about understeer, and the torque-steer was also entertaining! But them bum-clinging seats, and that horizon-hitting performance.... eeeee when I were a lad!

Funny, had a '97 Nissan 200SX and the turbo lag on that was far less noticeable. Even tho it was suposedly quicker than the Renault, it didn't feel it!

The main reason that the manufacturers prefer superchargers or n/a nowadays is due to emissions. It is technically difficult to get the all the precats in before the turbo and make it reliable. With a supercharger system you can have as many cats as required without interfering with compressor. This was probably a consideration when TTE applied for TUV approval.

Current turbo technology is exceptionally good, and a system can be designed with virtually no lag, but the emissions are still a problem if you want type approval.

Mark :angry:

my friend had several 5 turbos and also 205 GTis of different flavours.

Liked them all, turbo was quick though built badly and suffered from overheating and warped head. Also had problems with the drivers seat mounts.

I liked best though, the 1.9 GTi 205. Nice nice car. Again not built great (french for ya) but drove well.

Agree with Turbo feeling quicker than the 911, as he also had an early 70's 911T targa. Didn't seem to throw you back in the seat as much. going....... :offtopic:

Superchargers though put less strain on the engine too - hence improved reliability.

The guys name is jim kelly, perhaps the coolest character in enter the dragon. i guess others would argue different.

Cheers for the info guys, now i can "understand" why the supercharger option is used instead or turbo.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links