Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Cat C What Next?

The-Acre

Not a Lexus related question but hopefully someone can answer this as I can't find the info online.

Last December a friend borrowed my estate car and had someone go into the back of him. The car was written off and I bought it back. I had the work done (which wasn't major) and I've been using it ever since. Last week it passed it's MOT with no problems.

My question is this. Is it my responsibilty to contact the DVLA or is it the insurance company that declared it a write off? I've just been carrying on expecting to hear something but it's now been over 3 months.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

The best way to find out is to contact the DVLA and ask them if a VIC marker has been placed on the car, if not I would say nothing and carry on as it is the insurance company's job to notify them and if they haven't that's their fault.

The plus point here if a little immoral is that you could sell the car without any evidence of being written off.

If there is a VIC marker you can legally still drive the car providing it is taxed,insured and MOT'd but you will have a problem if you want to change any details on the V5C like if you were to change address or sell the car because a replacement V5C will not be issued without VOSA carrying out the VIC examination.

The link below explains what's what.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/VIC%20leaflet%20(English)%20April%202012.pdf

The best way to find out is to contact the DVLA and ask them if a VIC marker has been placed on the car, if not I would say nothing and carry on as it is the insurance company's job to notify them and if they haven't that's their fault.
The plus point here if a little immoral is that you could sell the car without any evidence of being written off.
If there is a VIC marker you can legally still drive the car providing it is taxed,insured and MOT'd but you will have a problem if you want to change any details on the V5C like if you were to change address or sell the car because a replacement V5C will not be issued without VOSA carrying out the VIC examination.
The link below explains what's what.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/VIC%20leaflet%20'>http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/VIC%20leaflet%20(English)%20April%202012.pdf

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the info. I will check with the DVLA. I'm surprised if it's the insurance companies job that I haven't heard anything yet, it actually happened on the 14th December. The main thing I wanted to know was whether is was my job to notify the DVLA, so you've answered that, thanks.

Just realised you said the car was "written off" but did the insurer's tell you if this was Cat D or Cat C?

If you don't know ask for a copy of the Engineers Report which will provide these details.

A Cat C needs a VIC whereas a Cat D does not.

Just realised you said the car was "written off" but did the insurer's tell you if this was Cat D or Cat C?

If you don't know ask for a copy of the Engineers Report which will provide these details.

A Cat C needs a VIC whereas a Cat D does not.

OK thanks, I'll check on that. The difficulty with this is that is wasn't my insurer that was involved, it was my friends and the other driver. I'm sure the enginerr said Cat C but now I think about it I can't be sure.

post-32919-0-47615000-1362333207_thumb.j

Just out of curiosity did you have to buy the car back from the insurers or did they give it to you for free, reason I ask is I kept mine for nothing.

I had to buy it back. They valued it at £2300 and I paid them £568. Here's a picture of the damage.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links