Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi

Just thought I would share this nugget with you all.As some of you know I had an experience with Lexus Glasgow last year that turned out better than I could have hoped (cambelt change) and after care.

Well since then the car as done 3500 miles and I thought with some wear occuring on the outside edge of front nearside there was a tracking problem,I had a tracking problem on my Mark 1 years ago and it took several goes at then local garages to get it sorted properly.Not wanting to go through that scenario again I booked it in at Lexus Glasgow for this morning.

Dropped off car went into Bonnie rainy Glasgow for Lunch and came back after lunch to pick car up.

Key ceremony with Lovely Andrea and two coffees with Jackie and valeted washed car waiting at front door .Went to pay bill Reply ;No charge tracking not required tyre wear normal.Thank you and goodbye.

We read so many different views from customers of Lexus dealerships so its nice to be able to report the best of them to this forum.

• Like 2

So uneven tyre wear is normal on an LS as well. It's well documented that the first gen IS came from the factory with the wrong alignment/geometry settings. This caused uneven inner tyre wear. This should not be the case and has been solved by Tony Bones at Wheels In Motion. Lexus still say the uneven tyre wear is normal but after having my car set up at WIM the uneven tyre wear has gone and the car handles better than it did set to the Lexus settings.

I wouldn't be so happy as to just accept that you will have to change tyres prematurely because of uneven outside tyre wear just cos Lexus say its normal.

Despite that, it is great to hear stories of Lexus dealers really looking after their customers. Their customer service is legendary, so I've been told, and perhaps one day I will enough money to buy a car from one of them!

• Like 1

So uneven tyre wear is normal on an LS as well. It's well documented that the first gen IS came from the factory with the wrong alignment/geometry settings. This caused uneven inner tyre wear. This should not be the case and has been solved by Tony Bones at Wheels In Motion. Lexus still say the uneven tyre wear is normal but after having my car set up at WIM the uneven tyre wear has gone and the car handles better than it did set to the Lexus settings.

because of uneven outside tyre wear just cos Lexus say its normal.

I appreciate your comments My last Lexus mark1 used to wear the edges on both front outsides even after the car had been set up correctly 12 years earlier and not by Lexus I hasten to add .Two factors caused this I used Uniroyals for 14 years then I changed them to Continental these did not wear on the edges the ls400 is also very heavy on the front end and tends to scrub the tyres when cornering as the uniroyal is a soft compound it shaves it quickly but I always got full lifetime tread use from the tyre.

If the dealership checked the factory settings today and found them correct then I accept that and if there is any marked depreciation in the tyre I am sure they will look into it.

Ambermarine, would you mind me asking if you could post that additionally in the review section. The garages look at the reviews and if you've had a good experience, would you mind reposting?

Glad to if you tell me how.

• Like 1

I am not sure whether this is a good news story or not. My garage said if your tyres are wearing oddly then you have a problem, be it just a question of adjustment and for them to turn round and say that it normal for a Lexus seems quite wrong.

I had my LS done last year on the 4 wheel computer alignment which took them just over two hours but the results were impressive and you could realy feel the difference through the steering.

I applaud their customer service to a point but to come out with that to me just dosent sound right. Mike

Its only my opinion.

Front tyre wear on the IS, GS and LS is always difficult to understand and cure.

By far the best solution as has been mentioned is to get a professional laser alignment done and not the £25 job from your local Kwik Fit.

I have had issues with abnormal tyre wear on the front tyres of both my old GS and my current LS.

I have also had great results from having my cars set up by Tony at WiM and by using Conti's as in my opinion they really due run well on heavy old Lexus's without reasonable wear.

You also need to be aware of other contributory factors such as front suspension ball joint and bush wear and alloy wheel damage.

I had a ball joint deteriorate quite badly on the nearside front of my LS recently. Had it fixed and the front nearside tyre wore agressively almost down to the steel banding in a matter of days. Turned out that the tracking had been adjusted to account for the balljoint wear so was almost 6mm out of alignment. Now corrected and all seeems to be well again though the steering wheel is out of true.

During this process when having the front nearside tyre replaced I was advised that the nearside alloy was out of true and so way out of balance. This had gone totally unnoticed with no vibration or judder at speed whatsoever. My tyre fitter suggested that the weight of the car, the suspension wear and the tracking misalignment was somehow compensating for the various faults.

We live and learn.

Ambermarine, would you mind me asking if you could post that additionally in the review section. The garages look at the reviews and if you've had a good experience, would you mind reposting?

If you copy the text from your first post in this thread and go to the general review section in the forums. There should be a sub thread foryou to post a review for Glasgow.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum/7-general-reviews/

I am not sure whether this is a good news story or not. My garage said if your tyres are wearing oddly then you have a problem, be it just a question of adjustment and for them to turn round and say that it normal for a Lexus seems quite wrong.

I had my LS done last year on the 4 wheel computer alignment which took them just over two hours but the results were impressive and you could realy feel the difference through the steering.

I applaud their customer service to a point but to come out with that to me just dosent sound right. Mike

Its only my opinion.

Update on tyre wear,have now established that the difference in tread wear on front tyres is 2mm as I have not got the history of tyre rotation it as become apparent (now this discussion as brought differing views and the need for more head scratching )that the Dunlop sports that are on the front have been used for different periods and possibly in different locations on the car the nearside tyre is wearing naturally I had made the mistake of comparing the tyres as equally used The car had 18k on it when I got it and was 14 years old so the front tyres may have been original and the one on the drivers side possibly the spare, the tyres on the rear are new.

What makes this LOC forum unique is the wealth of knowledge that as well as sorting problems out inspires mysteries to be solved.

If you copy the text from your first post in this thread and go to the general review section in the forums. There should be a sub thread foryou to post a review for Glasgow.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum/7-general-reviews/

Sorry Can't seem to do it will need precise instructions .

No worries. Are you using a desktop computer? With the mouse, get the cursor and move it to the start of your initial post. Click the right button and hold, while holding, drag the mouse over the text. This will highlight the text. Let go of the right button and move the cursor into the text. Press the left button. This will bring up a task box. One of the actions should be copy. Move the mouse and right click copy.

Go to the link in my previous post and start a new thread with a new title.

In the message box, left click and the task box will reappear. Select paste and the whole text should paste itself into the new message box. Then proceed to post the message like you did initially. It will be the same message, but in a new thread.

I hope this helps. I'm sure Lexus get a lot of good press anyway, but if you've had a good experience, let leople know. Too many people post bad reviews. It's bringing the average down. Lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links