Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can Someone Please Explain To Me The Fascination With Low Mileage Ls&#

I am a big car fan, always have been and it looks like my fabled first 400 is on it's way (fingers crossed) to go with my GS 430.

However, I do not see the fascination with low mileage cars? It would worry me that the engine hasn't been properly used and the cambelt hadn't been done.

I haven't looked at any car with less than 100k on it. The interior of a looked after 180k miler won't be that different to a 70k miler, and has probably had the belt changed three times and lots more 'new' parts on it?

Plus it will be half the price.

My GS 430 has done 125k, belt done 20k ago, FSH and the interior is like NEW and it drives like it's new too. £1800 well spent, or £3000 for a 85k miler with no belt change? It was an easy decision for me.

Is it just me that likes my cars 'lived in' a bit?!

It would worry me that the engine hasn't been properly used

Thats something I have had doubts about, I know if a car is left standing for a month or so in winter it has some kind of what to me looks like white fungus spots all over the engine & so whats gone on inside the engine & if anything can it have any kind of bad effects on the engine.

My problem is that I know very little about these things, even so I do often wonder about these way, way below average mileage cars eing caused some detrimental long term effects, such as oil congeling, once oil has been used it has to have degenerated to some extent no matter whose oil or grafe of oil it is, I just dont know enough so I have to remain sceptical sometimes.

What as to be borne in mind with any mileage are several factors.

The type of mileage ,motorway or urban,the use of the car individual or corporate/ commercial.

If the car as been one owner private,

if the car as been left standing for long periods mine was left three months every winter whilst in Flo but as long as it is indoors in a dry atmosphere there should be no detriments, as with mine.

If the car as been used in a young family or pets there will be upholstery issues.

My recent purchase of the Mark 4 being 14 years old with 18 k meant first stop was Lexus for a new cambelt but as the tech said there was nothing wrong with the old one.

Having had to replace all of the control arms and all the rear suspension bushes by the time my mark1 had done 180k through 16 years I can assure you that there is a lot of wear issues on high milers and its nothing to do with the engine in fact the engine will probably go for half a million miles before any mechanical repairs are needed as some have in the states excepting of course the dreaded starter motor solenoid repair which entails a virtual engine stripdown.

As for why low mileage is prefered, personally I think the less use you have inherited means less repair costs farther down the road and you also have the ability to decide what type of treatment your car is going to get before it as been spoilt by earlier users.

I bought my last mark4 to see me out and failing accidents I hope to do a El Cid departure in it.

Interesting answer, I see the logic but if the cost difference between low and high mileage, both with full service history is Between £1000-£1500, that gives you up to 1500 quid to play with to get it exactly how YOU want it to be, plus you know for definite that things have been done properly.

I still think the higher mileage, lower cost option is better for me, I have been driving since 1989 and I think the preference for lower mileage stems from the 'old fashioned' idea that petrol engines are only good for 100k miles.

With these cars I would go for complete history over mileage every time.

For me the attraction is that here is a car 13+ years old and its almost like its just come out of the showroom. The one that recently went for £2500 with 28K on the clock was probobly worth nearly double that bearing in mind the one that went recently with around the same mileage for close on £5K.

Its also almost certain that its never been involved in an accident and as long as its been garaged well with all its services having been done then there not really going to be any problems.

So you have car, cost new £57000 and with only 28K miles on the clock, ask yourself who got the best bargain? its first owner who paid £57k or the next one who paid £2500?

I know which one I would want to be.

Mike

Hi everybody, personally any car I buy will have the lowest possible mileage I can get,I would only buy the car with the spec I wanted so I didn't have to spend money afterwards. In my mind the lower the mileage the lower the wear and the less damage the previous owner may have done (f.s.h or not),my ls has only 21000 miles with 6 stamps which to me on a prestigious car like this is only gust broken in. The reliability and engineering that goes with these cars is legendary but for me as a personal preference lower is better

i think its all according to your criteria,a newer car is always best with lower mileage,high spec for resale and desirability if you going to change again in a few years,again if you want a older car for a shortish time then an average mileage car prob suit you fine,not much outlay,not lose much when you sell it,its already lost its value.on the other hand us guys who hang on to cars and like ls400

which is are the best ever lexus, would like alow milage one cos we could keep it for years,and prob not have to do much major work to it for ages and waft around in splender for years to come.when this car came out new all the other makes s classes etc had to up their game considerably to keep up with lexus,there so good that 20+ years later we are on here enthusing about them,and still alot about in spite of those banger racers

Interesting debate. I tend to spend money on my cars so I am happy with the higher mileage (with a FSH), cheaper car as I will spend whatever it needs to get it back to as near to A1 as possible.

I still don't by the 'out of the showroom' argument though. A car standing around in all weathers, never driven would be an absolute pig after 15 years of that punishment with the odometer on '0'.

I guess it comes from my previous life as a Jag enthusiast, I have had a V12 XJS, 4.0 XJ40, Series 3 Daimler Double 6, Daimler 250 and a massive Jaguar 420G and when I bought all of them they were mechanically much better for having regular mixed use on motorways and backroads, the 'concours' cars I saw at shows looked lovely and were undriveable!

Each to his own, I still say that put an average 150k miler next to an average 50k miler, both with FSH and I bet it would be hard to tell from the body and interior alone which was which.

Thats how good these cars are. I wish Lexus made cars like this now!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links