Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dipping Mirror No Longer Dips!

A few months ago, I noticed that the mirror on the passenger side (sorry, I never remember which is nearside and which is offside!) was no longer dipping as much as the other one when putting the car in reverse. Eventually, it stopped dipping altogether and my friendly dealer replaced it under warranty.

My car is going back to the dealer on Friday because the same has now happened with the mirror on the driver's side!

I don't remember coming across this in the forum... is it a common fault? - Is there no alternative but to replace the mirror?

Thanks

Dan

There have been problems on other models with sticking mirrors so I'm guessing the internal components of the RX mirrors are the same so are subject to the same problems.

Just be thankfull the warranty is covering the replacement but it doesn't look good on a 4 year old vehicle when these failures occur at such an early age, mine is nearly 20 years old and never had a problem with mirrors.

potentially it may just need a lube.

Does the mirror operate correctly manually?

I've not come across many complaints for this issue so I don't see it as a common fault. Certainly mine are still fine, 100k miles and 7 years in.

Thanks for your comments.

Colin - could point... this could be the answer as yes, it does operates fine manually.

• 2 weeks later...

My o/s mirror has the same fault 50% of the time it jams and the other times is fine.

When it jams I can still move it manually no prob, so I suspect some kind of software issue not a mechanical fault.

If anyone knows of a fix I would be interested.

FYI, like the other mirror, this was replaced by dealer under warranty, so I did not have the chance to experiment with lubrication (maybe I should rephrase this!)... Dealer was not sure what the problem was. They just replaced it.

• 1 year later...

Both of mine stopped dipping at the same time - totally baffled but tried the cycle up/down and side to side and now back to operating properly - happy days

sometimes the selector switch gets knocked. If it isn't in L or R, i.e. in neutral, then the mirrors will not dip.

Colin, how do you lube the mirror move mechanism? Does the external housing have to be removed? or is it just a case of spraying in some WD 40 and hoping for the best?

Alan

I'm not sure how well the mechanism is sealed. Randomly spraying behind the glass probably isn't going to do much, you would need to remove the glass first to get at the moving plate.

If you attempt this please be careful, the glass is expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links