Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Quiet Tyres For Is250 ? Help Please

Whilst owning my IS220d between 2006 and 2008 I had the joy of several courtesy cars - some SE's and some base models. Even the base suffered almost as much in my opinion - in total about 12 courtesy cars in 2 years - with different rubber on them - and to be honest the differences were very small, slightly noticeable.

The 3GS (and 2RX) are fine, the RX being particularly less noisy.

The other thing I have found is that tyres become noisier as they wear - so you put on a new set of boots and think it's great, because it improves from the old worn rubber, only for it to be similar again in a few thousand miles. You have to try new sets side by side.

Wow, this is becoming more and more difficult now...LOL

Maybe its best then just to get the cheapest set with the best rating and hope for the best.

Well I will get a new set this weekend so will keep you updated on how I get on....(so far its the Dunlop Sport Maxx I have in mind)

I can second the SportMAxx RT, much less noise than the factory bridgestones. You have to keep on top of tyre pressures and alignment etc though.

Thanks Mo, I have reserved a pair of Dunlop SportMax for Saturday.

To be honest I really want the quite and luxury feel as I don't race or thrash the car when I have the family with me, other times well......right for does get a bit heavy....lol

Having the Alignment done but a bit puzzled with the cost. The guy said £60-£100.

I have always paid between £30-£40 on my other cars but he said the Lexus are slightly different and gave me a big explanations bout some or other and said we will just have to see the damage once on the ramp.

Does that seem right?

It's like drive in with a Ford and its £40 but drive in with a Lexus is £60 for the same thing......or am I wrong.

No, mine was £24 + vat for front wheel alignment.

Or, are you referring to the all singing and dancing....alignment, geometry and all the rest from the likes of WIM?

Thats more like it. I guess I will just have to find out what they say when i go to put the tyres on saturday and then maybe take it to a local shop I know that does it for £30

I think where I am buying my tyres from Blackcircle the garage I am having the tyres fitted want to make more money whilst I am there.

Pretty sure we are going to sell the car but i have a Brand new set of Dunlop sportmaxx RT 245/45/17 tyres going cheap if anyone is interested, cheers.

Pm.d regarding tyres if they are still available.

Carl

Pretty sure we are going to sell the car but i have a Brand new set of Dunlop sportmaxx RT 245/45/17 tyres going cheap if anyone is interested, cheers.

Pm.d regarding tyres if they are still available.

Carl

Thanks Carl, i will email now

Right so I just had a fresh pair of Dunlop Sport Maxx RT on the front, taken her for a spin and these are my comments:

I highly recommend the Dunlop Sport Max RT. I got two 225.44.17 Y94 XL from blackcircles.com and had them fitted at a local tyre shop for £216. These are meant to be the quitest tyres on the market.

Don't put on part worn tyres, and if you really have to then find a good supplier to give u a pair so same thread, make etc

Have the tracking done, mine cost £60 for the front and back at Elitedirect in Essex. They have a good machine and excellent service. It's like Asda for cars here.LOL

Both my drive and road noise has improved greatly.

Thanks to all those who have commented on this thread...Carl you are a top man...saved me ££ Thanks

You only need to get the alignment done, from my experience, if you have uneven wear or the car is pulling. The fitters all tell you that you need to have it done etc, but always check your tyres first! It's easy money for them....

I took my car for an "alignment". The fitter said it was terrible. Afterwards, the steering wheel had to be turned about 10 degrees to the right to keep the car straight and the car pulled like mad to the left. I had brand new tyres all round (Michelin Pilot Sport 3) at the same time, so took it back. They checked it again and said it was perfect. Adjustment was £30, and the recheck was free.

3000 motorway miles later, the fronts were bald with the threads showing on the inner edges of the tread.

I took it for new tyres to another tyre place which did "4 wheel computer alignment". They gave me a printout which showed that the rear wheels were completely skew and were pointing about half a degree to the left. The fitter showed me, pointing at the numbers on the printout how the other shop had adjusted the fronts to match the rears, but without a proper 4-wheel aligner, they couldn't tell that the rear wheels were totally out of alignment, and that the resulting front wheel alignment was completely wrong as well.

This shop adjusted all 4 wheels , and put new tyres on the front. It was a different car after that. Perfectly straight steering, no pulling and completely sure footed. 10000 miles later, and all the tyres still look brand new.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links