Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quiet Tyres For Is250 ? Help Please

Hi

i would like to put less noisy tyres on my car , im thinking either dunlop sport maxx rt or goodyear eagle f1 ? i would really like some help from those who use these tyres and like everyone wajt the least cabin noise , thanks for any help.

I have the Goodyear on mine and they are significantly quieter than the other tyres I have tried. The technical spec says Dunlop are even quieter but I have never tried them.

I have the Goodyear on mine and they are significantly quieter than the other tyres I have tried. The technical spec says Dunlop are even quieter but I have never tried them.

Ok and thanks for the reply

Eagle F1 are great but they are an ultra high performance tyre, noise and economy are not the priority in that category.

Having said that they are better than most but I would expect the Dunlops to be quieter - don't expect miracles though, the IS does tend to transmit quite a bit of the road noise into the cabin.

Eagle F1 are great but they are an ultra high performance tyre, noise and economy are not the priority in that category.

Having said that they are better than most but I would expect the Dunlops to be quieter - don't expect miracles though, the IS does tend to transmit quite a bit of the road noise into the cabin.

yes, I agree, the road noise really is the is weakness in overall comfort.

Have you ever driven the GS model? I wonder if the road noise is much improved in this model.

Catl

It does seem to be the cars weakness and for this type of car that is a big one , would putting something like a Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyre be the answer as the lexus is not a performance car and either is this tyre ? They are suppose to be insanely quiet.

yes, I agree, the road noise really is the is weakness in overall comfort.

Have you ever driven the GS model? I wonder if the road noise is much improved in this model.

Catl

Yes very much so, the GS and RX are quieter than the IS. The LS then takes it to another level again.

I put Toyo T1R's on my IS250 SE-L, and even with the 19" wider rims they were a lot quieter than the Bridgestone Potenza's on the standard 17" rims. Better traction in the wet too. Apparently the T1R was superseded by the Toyo Proxes4, I have them on my IS200 Sport and they're also a very good and quiet tyre.

I have thought about doing this on previous cars I've had but never thought I'd be thinking about it with this one , the reason most people buy this type of car is they have got the cat back exhaust and coilovers out of there system and just want a more relaxed driving experience and this car does that all the way until you get the road noise IMO .

Yeah road noise can be a bit of the headache on this car especially on the motorway. I personally want to insulate the floor but can't find the motivation to do it. It is just too much work and god knows how much of a difference it will make.

Dont go for the Eagle F1's, i had them on my Corolla and were really noisey, currently i have Falken 452's on the IS

That's weird as they come up as a quiet tyre , everything points to Dunlop Sport Maxx RT but then you still get people saying not to buy as they are noisy even though they only come with a 67 Des-able rating (I give up )

I am running Falken ZE 912 buy they are rumbly

Dont go for the Eagle F1's, i had them on my Corolla and were really noisey, currently i have Falken 452's on the IS

That's weird as they come up as a quiet tyre , everything points to Dunlop Sport Maxx RT but then you still get people saying not to buy as they are noisy even though they only come with a 67 Des-able rating (I give up )

Not sure the new rating system can be trusted. Seems a bit like mpg figures.

But if you can not trust the labels well then you can only trust to luck and that can be costly and annoying afterwards.

Have you done the search on Blackboots.com to check decibel levels?

I'm using Hankook Ventus Prime K115's as they are only 70dB, but it depends on the road surface itself, the roads down here in South Wales are patchwork and terrible, the newer tarmac'd roads are really quite, but some are atrocious . . .

But if you can not trust the labels well then you can only trust to luck and that can be costly and annoying afterwards.

it is the same situation that has always existed; luck or obtain recommendations.

The noise test is performed on a controlled smooth fine grain road surface. It is potentially easy for a manufacturer to make a tyre quite on this surface but poor on coarse surfaces like the majority of our roads. Somewhat similar to where a manufacturer can optimise fuel consumption at one of the specific test speeds to get a good figure but is then not replicated in normal usage.

Tyres tend to become noisier with both age and wear however the rating would have no bearing on this as new tyres are tested. So a tyre that is very good could become very poor.

Ok can see your point as my tyres are great on the 10% of smooth surfaces but not the other 90% of roads , what makes a tyres quieter on the rougher roads ? before the falkens the front 2 where kumo le sport which where softer and quieter but the tramlinning was terrible .

Surly one is250 driver has stumbled across the holy grail and i want to know what it is lol

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry don't want your tyres but would like to know why you are selling the car and what you are replacing it with? (if it's not too personal)

Sorry don't want your tyres but would like to know why you are selling the car and what you are replacing it with? (if it's not too personal)

No that's fine ,

The main reason is my wife has been use to driving 4x4 in the past and really wants to go back to a higher driving position and with more room in the rear for her mum and dad that would also be a bit easier to get in and out of , it's definetly the smoothest engined car we have owned though and it's a shame in some ways as it was only a one owner local car with FLSH but hopefully that will make it easy to sell.

Just to add we will either go for another Ford Kuga or a Kia Sportage if we can up the money , no worries on the Tyres but if you know any other members who might then point them my way for a bargain , cheers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This topic has come up before but replies have been so varies that its difficult to decide what is the best tyre. On the Lexus I only look for quiet tyres as most tyres these days have reasonable wear and grip.

I recently tried some Barum Bravuris 2 which are £140 each which is not cheap but they currently have a special offer where buy one gets the other free or near enough anyhow. Even though I have never heard of these I thought I'd go out on a limb and try four as all my tyres were low. It cost me less than£400 fitted so a pretty good price. I'm LED to believe they are made by Continental. My experience is that they feel softer than previous tyres I have tried. The side walls not as stuff which gives the car a feel of more roll on corners. I don't really race the car about so this is not too much of a concern. However, they are a quiet tyre. Much better than the Bridgestone potenza's I had before. I'd be surprise of they last as long but then they were over £100 cheaper for four tyres so we will see.

All in all? In happy with these and could recommend them. I think it's only Natoinal tyres that are doing the deal and only on certain sizes, not the 245 rears, only fronts.

Thanks Carl :phone: , I searched on the link you gave me for Black Circles and found that the Dunlop had the quitest rating and two front tyres were coming at £216 fitted - I though this is quite good.

I did see National and they still have the offer buy one get on free on Barum so £151 for two front tyres. what put me off was the Fuel efficiency rating was: E

Dont know if they make a huge difference with the rating but they must be there for some reason.

Yeah, I often wonder about all that. Honestly, like buying an A-rated washing machine or A-rated windows for your house, the real world difference is extremely slight and I mean probably a couple of pounds a year.

Not really worth the paper it's written on in my opinion.

I certainly have not noticed my difference in economy since changing tyres.

I'm sure there is a difference between the worst and best ratings but it will be of no discernible amount.

I did look at the dunlops and was going to try them on my other car next month as they also need replacing on the rear.

Let me know how you find them.

Carl

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links