Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

For those of us still on petrol and not LPG. Which fuel do you think is best? The higher octane one IE Shell V power. Or the lower one. Is it better for the LS V8.All thou dearer, is the MPG better? And better for your car? Would be interested in what everyone thinks on this one.

I use ordinary supermarket petrol but I also add Redline additive.

Don't know if she would run better on premium juice, I do treat her every now and then

to premium unleaded, I suppose a sustained period would be required to make it a fair test!

I don't often use more than 3000rpm and do the same

pattern of trips most of the time and average around 27mpg,

that is from my home to Shrewsbury and back, about

10 miles each way.

Mind you today my wife and I did a nice trip to Rhos-on-Sea, about 75miles each

way so I would expect to get around 30 to 31 mpg. The problem is some

petrol pumps cut off more easily than others and my last fill up in Asda

Shrewsbury was not full, my calculation of 43mpg is proof of that!

Mark.

The Owner's Manual of my LS 400 says:

Select premium unleaded gasoline with a Research Octane Number of 95 or higher for optimum engine performance.

I therefore stick to 95 RON and see no point in buying the more expensive 98 RON. Petrol is expensive enough as it is!

I remember years ago driving a Toyota in South Africa and being advised to use a higher octane fuel at high altitude........... to save " pinking " I think it was.

Is this the same today ? would one use a different octane fuel in the LS400 driving into the Alps or wherever ?

Thanks.

Malc

They did an article on this some years back on 5th gear and the end result was there was no difference and in some cars the MPG was worse. Don't waste your money just stick to the 95. Mike

I always use vpower shell in my ls400, I do 18mile journey 5 days a week, I put in £50 v power just before it hits reserve, I get up to 40mpg (have also taken a pic of this while stationary for a few seconds at a roundabout just to prove the mpg I'm getting) and I get 248 miles out of it, so I don't see the point of me having LPG, as all I use it for is going to work and back

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links