Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is200 Engine Change

Zackpn

Hello,

Very new to Lexus I have just picked up a 2001 Lexus IS200 Sport £200.00 on 110K Miles bad bit cambelt snapped.

Over this year I will be pulling the engine out and installing a turbo kit.

Dont no anything at all about Lexus always had 206s so hope people dont mind me asking stuff when i get started on the car.

Things I would like to know are.

1. Does the 200 sport have LSD

2. When changing engine will I need the ECU as well

3. Is there any prone for with these cars.

4. Hello :)

Cheers

Hi Zack

welcome to LOC

Sport version do have LSD

I'm sure u will get the answer u looking for very soon on the engine issue.

would be great to have some picture as i would like to see the condition that you bought (£200.00)

:zee:

I'd love to have been able to buy an IS200 for that sort of money. I'd be putiing a 1UZ into it and then add turbos! :)

If you're buying an engine of the same type, you shouldn't need the ECU as well but most sellers lump it all together as a package (engine, loom and ECU). It's never a bad thing to have a spare ECU anyway if this were the case.

If your car is manual, you'll need an ECU for a manual - if it is auto, you need the Auto ECU. Auto ECUs generally work on a manual with some wiring mods (although personally I'd still just use the suitable ECU to keep it straightforward) but the manual ECU will not work on an Auto.

Hi Zack

welcome to LOC

Sport version do have LSD

I'm sure u will get the answer u looking for very soon on the engine issue.

would be great to have some picture as i would like to see the condition that you bought (£200.00)

:zee:

Thats what i like to here bout LSD.

Thanks for coming back to me and ill get some pictures up very soon very clean car in silver

I'd love to have been able to buy an IS200 for that sort of money. I'd be putiing a 1UZ into it and then add turbos! :)

If you're buying an engine of the same type, you shouldn't need the ECU as well but most sellers lump it all together as a package (engine, loom and ECU). It's never a bad thing to have a spare ECU anyway if this were the case.

If your car is manual, you'll need an ECU for a manual - if it is auto, you need the Auto ECU. Auto ECUs generally work on a manual with some wiring mods (although personally I'd still just use the suitable ECU to keep it straightforward) but the manual ECU will not work on an Auto.

Is a 1UZ 4.0 Litre? I sorta need it to be half sensible but fun when needed. Im aiming for a 250BHP.

Plan is to swap engines over then crack open the engine with the snapped belt and slowly rebuild it forged.

One thing was looking at is a turbo kit and only £2000.00 from the US. Sounds to good to be tru not less am wrong?

And its a manual and staying manual.

Thank you for reply.

2JZ-GTE has forged rods and forged pistons from factory and makes a detuned 320bhp that will take the hassle off you playing with internals. source one of these engines and supra transmission and ECU and you are on your way. for lazy V8 power, cant beat the 1UZ's for low down torque lots of guys in US have this conversion done.

2JZ-GTE has forged rods and forged pistons from factory and makes a detuned 320bhp that will take the hassle off you playing with internals. source one of these engines and supra transmission and ECU and you are on your way. for lazy V8 power, cant beat the 1UZ's for low down torque lots of guys in US have this conversion done.

Can you get a the links for these engines on eBay please may have a look.

Thank you.

Like i said i no nothing bout Lexus :/

• 2 weeks later...

car seems in decent nik'

as noby said, 2JZ would be sensible and ideal project.

in future you can bolt a turbo or charger kit if more horses you after.

but in the end, its what you desire -

Go with a 1JZ. It's a 2.5L, straight six, twin turbo (later ones were single turbo) that makes 280bhp out the box with no mods. From what I understand it's an easier fit than a 2JZ (as far as boxes and mounts go). There's little to no point replacing the standard 1G-FE engine you have with another 1G-FE - firstly, it's not a great engine to start turbocharging (the cost of the build for solid, reliable 240-250bhp is gonna run up to about £5k (if you want it done properly), and you'll spend half that doing a swap to something like a 1JZ-GTE. Get one with manifolds, turbo's, ECU and loom. And secondly, if you're turbocharging a 1G, you might aswell just rebuild your own 1G and turbo that, as you're gonna need to crack it open and most likely do the pistons, rods, valves etc anyway, and probably work the head for compression.

If it was me, my money would be with a 1JZ-GTE swap. Have a fiddle with the cams, boost level, exhaust, better intercooler, and you might well get it to around 300bhp

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links